Fabia gearbox HELP!

Hi all, the gearbox has blown in my Fabia sdi, by blown i mean the bearings have gone as it make a horriffic howling noise and doesnt always engage 3rd

I own a Fabia 4 speed lol

Does anyone know if the box from a TDI will ft an SDI?

Edited by Ryan96

I am in the same situation.

The SDI gearboxes are weak so the advice seems to be get it rebuilt with new bearings etc. rather than fit a 2nd hand box.

The TDI boxes are stronger but may well not fit. I don't think the ratios are a complete disaster as a lot of the difference is down to TDI using 185 tyres vs 165 on SDI but would probably make the SDi even slower in 5th but have a more useful 4th gear. Also a TDI box needs the TDI drive shafts unless you can transfer the inner CV mounts as the inner CVs are of larger diameter on the TDI and the drive shafts may be shorter - not sure. I am probably going to send my car to scrap rather than fix the gearbox, pity as it has 103k miles and a recent cam belt. Good Luck

Hi all, sorry, edited the post as half of it went missing, what should of been addes is, doues anyone know if the TDI gearbox fits an SDI?

Yes, sorry, half my post went missing, wondering if a TDI box will fit the SDI

Probably, but the ratios will be all wrong for your slug, you'll be lucky to get it to pull top gear so you'll still be stuck with a four-speed  :devil:

Its a problem. I was thinking about a cheap blacksmoke remap to get a bit more torque to help offset the higher gearing.

The SDI engine gives 64bhp/125nm in the fabia but 67/133 in the SDI/AGP/AQM octavia & golf, using the same VP37 0460404972 injection pump.

The higher torque figure I think is achieved with a larger injection injection pump stroke / fuel quantity and tuners claim 145 to 150nm is possible.

Well, managed to find a gearbox with a 2 week warranty

As long as it lasts until the insurance drops a bit for me, then i will be doing a TDI conversion

Edited by Ryan96

Won't a conversion push your insurance higher than just buying a TDi?

Possibly,but the amount of work and mods ive done to the car makes buying a TDI combi seem a bit pointless, as then i would need to transfer all my mods, custom wiring looms etc over do the tdi