Downside to 4x4?

If you have the dsg box you have haldex by the box , with the manual it's at the rear wheels . The filter needs a special tool to get it out which is priced at £70! So I'd be a fool to do it myself

Edited by terrytowelling

I've got a 2009 2.0 170 TDi Elegance 4x4 manual, Yes due to the extra weight of the Haldex and 4x4 system plus driving the 4x4 system the fuel economy is down but the extra weight adds up when using it as a tow car as I do, plus the added stability of towing with a 4x4 is quite noticeable, I did do a 150mile trip on the motorways last week and stayed at a constant 70mph, not the most economical speed but I did achieve an average of 52mpg which in any ones book isn't bad for a 4x4! I get on average 32mpg when towing a 1500kg caravan too,

The Haldex needs servicing every 40,000 miles which is basically just an oil change, this costs on average £80 so that needs to be factored in to what to look for when buying in service history and also future service costs,

As for acceleration according to the book it's only 0.4 of a second slower than the FWD at 8.7 seconds 0-60, much to the Mondeo owners surprise that I know this is still faster that their cars! Not being Lewis Hamilton I find it fast enough, There is the added bonus of traction and literally no wheel spin! Again handy when used for towing a caravan.

I love my 4x4 and think it's a great car, especially for towing, but then it didn't win all the tow car awards for nothing, I too currently am also looking for a FL estate as I can't find another make or type of car that I would be happy to swap it for. It might be a bit more expensive to run and service but thats what you expect from owning a 4x4, but for me the difference is quite minimal for the amount of car you get!

Edited by yesman
  • Like 1

I've got a 2009 2.0 170 TDi Elegance 4x4 manual, Yes due to the extra weight of the Haldex and 4x4 system plus driving the 4x4 system the fuel economy is down but the extra weight adds up when using it as a tow car as I do, plus the added stability of towing with a 4x4 is quite noticeable, I did do a 150mile trip on the motorways last week and stayed at a constant 70mph, not the most economical speed but I did achieve an average of 52mpg which in any ones book isn't bad for a 4x4! I get on average 32mpg when towing a 1500kg caravan too,

The Haldex needs servicing every 40,000 miles which is basically just an oil change, this costs on average £80 so that needs to be factored in to what to look for when buying in service history and also future service costs,

As for acceleration according to the book it's only 0.4 of a second slower than the FWD at 8.7 seconds 0-60, much to the Mondeo owners surprise that I know this is still faster that their cars! Not being Lewis Hamilton I find it fast enough, There is the added bonus of traction and literally no wheel spin! Again handy when used for towing a caravan.

I love my 4x4 and think it's a great car, especially for towing, but then it didn't win all the tow car awards for nothing, I too currently am also looking for a FL estate as I can't find another make or type of car that I would be happy to swap it for. It might be a bit more expensive to run and service but thats what you expect from owning a 4x4, but for me the difference is quite minimal for the amount of car you get!

I could have written that myself. Although it sounds like I need to book in a Haldex oil change as I'm at 45k and another year until the long life service will be due.

I could have written that myself. Although it sounds like I need to book in a Haldex oil change as I'm at 45k and another year until the long life service will be due.

Yes mate I'd get the Haldex done asap, apparently it can do some damage if it's not done regularly, my cars on variable servicing so at 40k the Haldex service is never in line with when the car flags up a service, had my Haldex oil changed at 35k due the service being due and couldn't be arsed to book it in twice!

I've been toying with upgrading my CR170 DSG FWD to a 4X4, as I tow a 1580 kg (per weigh bridge) caravan.  Having read the above, and having had no stability or traction problems towing over the past 4 years, I'm now wondering if it is worth all the cost involved since my current machine has under 60 miles on it and has an extended warranty (which incidentally can now be purchased up to 99,999 miles indicated).

The oil will need changing more often where the haldex is used more, as in lots of driving with poor traction. normal road driving where the haldex wouldn't be engaged, The oil wouldn't get polluted so quickly

Edited by terrytowelling