16" Spare Wheel FTW!

After deciding that I was more comfortable with an actual spare wheel in the vehicle and not an inflation kit I set about speaking to the dealer who said could get a space saver for £170 ish!

Un delighted at the prospect of that much money set about scouring the internet but unable to find if a full size spare would fit in the wheel well.

Found on ebay a breakers who had recently collected a very low mileage wrote off SEL and was selling all the wheels.

£100 quid later (inc postage) for an immaculate full size alloy wheel with a nearly new Dunlop tyre thought it would be worth the punt!

Results are all good and anyone interested is that a 16" spare wheel fits in the spare wheel well with no problems at all!

post-145693-0-63517200-1469641083_thumb.jpg

post-145693-0-38681600-1469641085_thumb.jpg

post-145693-0-97628000-1469641086_thumb.jpg

post-145693-0-66721300-1469641088_thumb.jpg

Edited by Forge

We bought a used MkIII a few weeks back from a main dealer. I made it a condition of sale that they supply a full size 16" spare (steel or alloy, I'm not fussy) and a tool kit which they did.

The biggest size alloy and tyre you can buy for a Fabia fits in the spare tyre well when inflated.

If you had to change the wheel and fit the spare you need to transport the wheel you took off, 

and if there was still air in it is not a requirement to deflate it.

Steel Spare wheels and tyres are very close to the size of 15, 16 or 17 inch tyres as fitted as standard 

because Skoda / VW are offering the Sheel / Tyre to match the cars in that class with the fitment required.

Suitable wheels and tool kits are sometimes advertised in the Briskoda For Sales, then also Auction Sites 

or from Vehicle Breakers.

One comment to add, why not reverse that wheel and with the centre trim removed, secure it using the correct hold down bolt.  That is if Fabia Mk3 has the threaded hole to take this bolt, sometimes the toolkit can be got that has a plastic rigid case that fits inside the wheel and has the mounting bolt in its base.

Edit:- maybe the rigid tool case is only for the 15" wheels, I've forgotten what is fitted to wife's Polo along with a steel 15" spare.

Edited by rum4mo

May be interested. I'm running the black Monte Carlo 16inch wheels, will this make a difference?

Also, where did you source a Jack and all the other stuff, you don't get it if you don't have the wheel!

Thanks, Alexandros. :)

Cant see the monte wheels being any different, most of the "kit" ive had already although the missus just won a mk2 kit in the plastic spare wheel recess case on ebay for £3! Picking up tomorrow :)

One comment to add, why not reverse that wheel and with the centre trim removed, secure it using the correct hold down bolt.  That is if Fabia Mk3 has the threaded hole to take this bolt, sometimes the toolkit can be got that has a plastic rigid case that fits inside the wheel and has the mounting bolt in its base.

Edit:- maybe the rigid tool case is only for the 15" wheels, I've forgotten what is fitted to wife's Polo along with a steel 15" spare.

Wheel will be reversed, it was only a trial fit to see how it would work. The mk3 doesn't have the threaded bolt to hold it down in the well but its snug enough to stay put anyway, as mentioned in previous post managed to pick up the plastic spare wheel container and kit for a mk2 for £3 and hoping it fits, cant see this being an issue but will see :)

Edited by Forge

Cant see the monte wheels being any different, most of the "kit" ive had already although the missus just won a mk2 kit in the plastic spare wheel recess case on ebay for £3! Picking up tomorrow :)

Ahh nice one. Another question. The wheels on my fabia a directional. The spare you have gotten, does it have a arrow?

Oh bother, now that is another issue, this is one reason why car makers, when they fit directional tyres supply a normal steel spare with a non directional tyre!  My plan for that would be, stay lucky and hope the puncture is on the correct side until you get the next set of non directional tyres on the car.

Ahh nice one. Another question. The wheels on my fabia a directional. The spare you have gotten, does it have a arrow?

Errrr......... Uh.......... I........... :think:  I don't know lol, better check tomorrow :wonder:

Errrr......... Uh.......... I........... :think:  I don't know lol, better check tomorrow :wonder:

I seriously wouldn't worry, it'll get you home... with all the things going on in the world, driving on a tyre that is pointing the wrong way is so insignificant ha

Spare temp tyres are just that, and rarely directional, they are for fitting until you get a repair done or replace a tyre, you need to reduce your speed, even if a full size tyre and the correct speed rating. & its a green tyre, as in New and not run in.,

(unless used before.)

You are fitting a spare and unless it has the exact same tread and wear and is not brand new and the pressure matches the tyre on the same axle you need to slow down.

carry 2 spares on long trips when directional tyres are on the car and i am going to maybe need to search out a tyre where there are none, 

holiday weekends etc.

post-145693-0-38681600-1469641085.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot