18" or 19" Wheels

Afternoon all,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an L&K Combi 2.0 190PS in Business Grey but could really do with some help with wheel choice.

I'm not a 'car' person by any stretch of the imagination, so I wouldn't know technically the advantages or disadvantages. All I do know is that even though the 18" Pegasus Anthracite wheels look lovely, I'm really leaning towards the 19" Phoenix Anthracite. 

I've read through a lot of posts where I can find info on both, and it seems to be a mixed bag. Some people wish they had taken the 18" over the 19" while others who had taken the 19" do not regret their decision.

I mainly travel motorways (30K pa) as I cover from Birmingham and south for my role as an RF Engineer for Sainsburys. Also do a fair amount of London travel (which I'm soooo looking forward to with the ACC!!).

Any help and advice from someone that is a lot more clued up than me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

I have the 19" Pheonix anthracite wheels on my L&K and I love them. I also use 17" winter tyres and there is very little between the 17's and 19's with regard comfort.

The.19's will however cost more to replace the tyres.

Edited by Gizmo68
  • Like 1

With regards to the DCC, how does that help with the ride of the car. As mentioned previously, I'm totally clueless when it comes to this!!

I was hoping the 19" combined with the DCC that comes as standard on the L&K would be a winner??

I suffer with back issues (torn disc etc) but still drive with the DCC in sport 95% of the time, comfort is far too wallow IMO, a bit like being on a ferry  :D

I was very sceptical that the 19’s would be any good, but the sidewall is slightly higher than the MKII Superb on 18’s (225/40/18” compared to 235/40/19”) the ride quality on 19’s is better than the MKII on 18’s!

• Like 1

I live in London and the 19" Wheels are fine and almost every road has some form of speed bump, traffic cushion or whatever traffic calming rubbish method you can think off around where I live!

• Like 2

I live in London and the 19" Wheels are fine and almost every road has some form of speed bump, traffic cushion or whatever traffic calming rubbish method you can think off around where I live!

Even worse in your area :giggle:

Used to live in green leaf road and that area is terrible, Inlaws live in Leyton and that's just as bad

• Like 2

I was one of the skeptics regarding 19" wheels as over here in Australia, specially in the country side, the roads are a bit on the rough side (understatement).

This has proven to be totally unfounded. So choose whatever you like, the car's suspension is very good even with the 19" wheels.

• Like 1

Even worse in your area :giggle:

Used to live in green leaf road and that area is terrible, Inlaws live in Leyton and that's just as bad

I border on Leyton off Lea Bridge Road, so I include Leyton when I say "whatever traffic calming rubbish method you can think off" lol :)

• Like 2

The car needs 19" rims to finish it off just right. I have the Phoenix alloys in silver (not posh enough in the pocket for an L&K) and like the look a lot. The L&K anthracite ones are lovely in the flesh tho.

I have noticed they are rather weighty, as in I feel they seem to hammer through the mildest of bumps around mine and transmit everything through to the chassis especially under braking. I will be fitting 17" winters and hope they have a different feel because if they dont, I need my ass and hands checked as everything in me says it's the wheels making the car ride the way it does.

Get the 19"s, you said you spend most of your time on the motorway and imho you will barely notice any ride issues when the DCC is set just how you like it!

Edited by blahde2
  • Like 1