MY 2017 no more PID?

1963Malc

Well I picked up my new SEL at the weekend.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 but it won't run the app, my wife has the J5 which works so if I want the Sat Nav looks like I will have to upgrade my phone...

• 1 year later...

Hi guys & gals (& even a hearty "Hi" to anyone who doesn't fall in to either category)

Looking for a bit of help/advice/suggestions usw.

Have just traded in my 2015 Citigo SE-L for a 2018 one & take delivery later this month, but can't say that I'm over the moon about the loss of the PID or (especially "or") the CD player.

So g's & g's: has anyone any suggestions about the best satnav to replace my previous PID (I don't do technology, really, I cannot cope with any kind of technology), so nothing too complicated  - I just want the ability to get from A to B, and quite possibly C to D & all stations to Clapham Junction) in the easiest & least complicated way possible.   I do not possess (& never will do) a smart phone - mine isn't even oil-fired, it's not even steam-powered, but wind driven, so a simple, but effective, satnav is all that I've set my little heart on. 

Also, I'm really going to miss the CD Player (may have to start listening to SWMBO instead) so does anyone out there know if there's such a thing as a mobile CD player gubbins which will plug into the ciggie lighter, or this new USB??? socket on the dashboard, but which will still play my archaic, albeit much-loved collection of CD's?

Any help/advice/suggestions (well, apart from "yank yourself into at least the 17th Century") will be most gratefully received.

My thanks in cringing anticipation.

21 hours ago, Michaelski said:

Hi guys & gals (& even a hearty "Hi" to anyone who doesn't fall in to either category)

Looking for a bit of help/advice/suggestions usw.

Have just traded in my 2015 Citigo SE-L for a 2018 one & take delivery later this month, but can't say that I'm over the moon about the loss of the PID or (especially "or") the CD player.

So g's & g's: has anyone any suggestions about the best satnav to replace my previous PID (I don't do technology, really, I cannot cope with any kind of technology), so nothing too complicated  - I just want the ability to get from A to B, and quite possibly C to D & all stations to Clapham Junction) in the easiest & least complicated way possible.   I do not possess (& never will do) a smart phone - mine isn't even oil-fired, it's not even steam-powered, but wind driven, so a simple, but effective, satnav is all that I've set my little heart on. 

Also, I'm really going to miss the CD Player (may have to start listening to SWMBO instead) so does anyone out there know if there's such a thing as a mobile CD player gubbins which will plug into the ciggie lighter, or this new USB??? socket on the dashboard, but which will still play my archaic, albeit much-loved collection of CD's?

Any help/advice/suggestions (well, apart from "yank yourself into at least the 17th Century") will be most gratefully received.

My thanks in cringing anticipation.

Hi Michael

i personally always recommend Garmin sat navs, easy to use, good value, lifetime maps update. The user interface is easy and gives lots of information with real time traffic updates at no extra cost.

heres one that’s currently on offer at Halfrauds

http://www.halfords.com/technology/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/garmin-drive-50-lm-5-sat-nav-with-uk-and-ireland-maps-2016?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Sat+Nav-_-Car+Sat+Nav-_-224656&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=appmwmaax&istBid=tzir&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555900|agid:49387677092|tid:aud-297219198889:pla-329482923979|crid:203456299608|nw:g|rnd:15797800106323057936|dvc:t|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9045127&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-Hdy8LS2AIVqbDtCh0pZwXBEAQYASABEgI-svD_BwE

hope this helps

Steve

Edited by SteveJP

Thanks for the speedy reply, and also the helpful info, Steve.    As I haven't yet taken delivery of the new car (projected for the "end of the month" - but which month is the question) I have a little time to check out the garmin that you've suggested.  Having been used to the Garmin in my current car, I would have no scruples about going down the "G" route for a replacement, so I'll have a look when I'm next in the vicinity.   Many thanks for your kind help.

Bestest,   Mike

I believe Garmin to be good, never owned one but members of my family do and prefer them to Tomtom.

I'm right with you  Mike on the phone cradle thingy. Stupid really. VW seem to be aiming the Up/Citigo/Mii towards younger buyers by having the phone cradle and option of the Beats system but I suspect the majority of owners may well be like me and in their dotage. I don't own a smart phone so when I change my car, a rather gorgeous Seat Mii by Mango with the PID, it looks as though I may be looking for something with a proper sat nav system.

Its such a shame as these little cars are wonderful imo and how difficult would it have been to offer both PID and cradle systems as options?

Harry

Hi Harry, & nice to know that there are other geriatric technophobes out there - damn & blast modern technology is what I say.

However, having well & truly done my in-depth research, I still reckon that the Citigo is head & shoulders above the so-called opposition. and that's why (2018 warts & all) I have voted with my wallet for another one - but the 60 PS this time, as 3 years of ownership of a 75 PS says that it's a bit "overkill", and not at all necessary: thought about the Fabia, but apart from having a bigger boot, the interior space is about the same.

Garmin are offering a sorta "basic, no frills" satnav for around the £90 mark at Halfrauds) & that will fit in the new mount quite easily.   Also, there's a USB cable with it, and I'm hoping that this gubbins will fit into the Port which sits just behind the new mount ( look North on the first few days in Feb, and if you see a flash of brilliant light, followed by a mushroom-shaped cloud, followed by an intense stream of invective, then you'll know that it doesn't)  but if it does, that will leave the ciggie lighter socket free for perhaps plugging in a portable CD Player - watch this space.

As a sop to having useful gizmo's removed, the 2018 Tonka toy seems to have rear parking sensors fitted (cost me just £80 to have them fitted to the current dodgem car): state-of-the-art rear parcel shelf lifters (2 bits of tatty string)  & 15" alloys.  Also a rather better radio (not DAB) & more speakers, as standard & (whoopy whoopy doo) there's now a much-lauded brolly under the passenger seat. - obviously for the "golden oldies" as young bucks would prefer to simply get wet.   For what else, I'm going to have to wait and see, but am I excited.  Nope!

• Haha 1

On 18/01/2018 at 14:54, Michaelski said:

Hi Harry, & nice to know that there are other geriatric technophobes out there - damn & blast modern technology is what I say.

However, having well & truly done my in-depth research, I still reckon that the Citigo is head & shoulders above the so-called opposition. and that's why (2018 warts & all) I have voted with my wallet for another one - but the 60 PS this time, as 3 years of ownership of a 75 PS says that it's a bit "overkill", and not at all necessary: thought about the Fabia, but apart from having a bigger boot, the interior space is about the same.

Garmin are offering a sorta "basic, no frills" satnav for around the £90 mark at Halfrauds) & that will fit in the new mount quite easily.   Also, there's a USB cable with it, and I'm hoping that this gubbins will fit into the Port which sits just behind the new mount ( look North on the first few days in Feb, and if you see a flash of brilliant light, followed by a mushroom-shaped cloud, followed by an intense stream of invective, then you'll know that it doesn't)  but if it does, that will leave the ciggie lighter socket free for perhaps plugging in a portable CD Player - watch this space.

As a sop to having useful gizmo's removed, the 2018 Tonka toy seems to have rear parking sensors fitted (cost me just £80 to have them fitted to the current dodgem car): state-of-the-art rear parcel shelf lifters (2 bits of tatty string)  & 15" alloys.  Also a rather better radio (not DAB) & more speakers, as standard & (whoopy whoopy doo) there's now a much-lauded brolly under the passenger seat. - obviously for the "golden oldies" as young bucks would prefer to simply get wet.   For what else, I'm going to have to wait and see, but am I excited.  Nope!

Nice one Mike. I don't think there's a lot of difference between the 2 engines according to reviews. I took mine from Lincolnshire to the Moray Firth earlier this year and it was superb to drive and extremely comfortable. I'd love to hear how you get on with the new car and how the sat nav combo works for you. It might just keep me interested in sticking with this model .

I bought the Mii 74ps because I fell in love with the little Mango. It's a nice version and although they say it's aimed at the ladies I don't mind a little comfort at the expense of looking girly. It's quite easy once you get used to the funny looks.:giggle:.

If I do stick I'll probably go Citigo as I have always loved Skoda and after all I'll be able to become a 'proper' member of this site again.:biggrin:.

Harry.

Hi Harry, & thanks for the Post.

Had a call from my local Stealer/Dealer today, to say that the new car was due with them tomorrow, & for me to call in & collect my registration number (& possibly get all excited???).  If it's the latter, he's gunna be well disappointed.     No.1 son has a 60 PS Dodgem car, & having traveled in it a fair amount, I don't reckon (the extra shekels apart) that there's much difference between the 60 & the 75 - if anything I believe that the 60 sounds a tad smoother on tickover - possibly the car was designed with the 60 PS engine in mind???   Anyway, unless one goes well North of 80 mph, & with a definite head-down, arse-up attitude, I reckon that the 60 is the much better choice - the Monte Carlo comes fitted with the smaller elastic band as standard, so what's good for a MC (their Citigo Rallye version) has got to be good for a bog-standard edition.      I looked intensively at both the Up & the Mii before settling on the Citigo, and to me, the ****tygo stood out head & shoulders above the other two.   But if there WAS an optimum car, then all manufacturers (bar one favored one) would cease to trade.    

I've had this 75 PS SE-L for 2 1/2 years now, & it's yet to put a foot wrong: it's comfy, well-appointed, economical, & certainly fast enough for me in my declining years.      Prior to this Tonka Toy, I had a succession of expensive & very fast machinery (4 x Lexus & 1 x TOTR Volvo) & it speaks volumes that it was in the Citygo that I attracted my first speeding ticket!!!          God Bless mobile (& well-hidden) Cash Dispensers.

Enjoy your Mii & just remember, as I eventually did, (but only after some 60 years of driving), that a car is just a convenient way of getting you from A to B (& C,D,E,F & G) & whilst one may (possibly "may") be lost in admiration as a Lamborghini hurtles past, the feeling only last for a few fleeting seconds - & that driver has shelled out hundreds of thousands on buying the fast-depreciating Tonka, not to mention the cost-of-a-small-house annual Insurance premium .

But I'll post how (or if it indeed does) the Garmin Satnav links in with the USB Port.

Common sense normally only arrives after it's far too late to benefit ( Tommy Shakespeare - aka Michaelski)

Hi Mike, Cheers I passed my test 1962  so not quite 60 years ago yet.

I look forward to your post on the new car. It'll give me something to think about for 12 months or so until I decide what's next.

I went for the Mii because I liked the 'Mango'. It's a smart little thing with half 'leather' seats, nice black alloys, PID and parking sensors etc. Not a bad spec for the model. However as I said it WILL be a Skoda next.

Like you, I had some nice cars in the past, mostly big beasts, but small cars in those days were not as close on comfort. Today small cars can be a nice place to be and as all my boy racer tendencies are long gone and pulling power out of the equation:blush: I'm happy to be able to save a pot full while still enjoying the drive.

Harry

• 3 months later...

Hi all - a bit late on replying to this thread, so grovelling apologies to our reader.

Took delivery of the new SE-L on 1 Feb, & to date, have currently done only around 1400 miles.

I have to say (yeah, really folks, I have to say) that I have mixed feelings about this latest edition.

Good points:   the new radio is head & shoulders above the previous one.   The parking sensors work a treat, & it's a very nice touch that the distance still-to-go before "oops" is displayed on the radio dash.  I haven't even looked for the much-acclaimed brolly yet.  The new style dashboard does lift the car way above what the previous one offered.    The 2 bits of string on the RPS work fine.   The twin headlights "look" better, but I still felt that it was necessary to upgrade the bulbs in them (to Halfords' finest) as they didn't seem to have improved on the candle power from the single headlights - & they were diabolical.  According to No. 1 son, the new incorporated DRL's look great.

The light blue that we ordered (actually, the best option of the three cars that were then on offer sitting at the Docks in Emden - the alternative was wait around 3 months for one to be built from scratch) is actually rather attractive.

Down sides.      The lack of the CD Player is a constant source of irritation to me, & reflects adversely on Skoda's penny-pinching attitude towards their customers - surely they could have slotted it in somewhere, instead of glibly assuming that all Citigo buyers would have SOTA phone technology..     I wasn't too impressed by the removal of the PID either, as not only did I have to shell out mega bucks for a SOTA Garmin, but I don't have the trip computer facility either - plus of course, that with the new bird-eating-spider cradle that's supplied, it won't take much more than a 5" satnav.    That's about it actually, as I don't for one moment regret buying yet another little Citigo, although I have to say that my mpg is nowhere near what I experienced on my last one - perhaps the engine hasn't loosened up sufficiently yet???

I've only had one decently long trip (a 350 + mile round trip to Wales) so far, but again, & once wound up, the current car had no problems whatever in keeping up with the traffic flow at 70-75 mph - there & back on around just over 1/2 a tank.

We're expecting our new baby in the next 3 weeks so we'll be finding out what life is like without the pid.

Looking forward to having the new radio,parking sensors and climate control :)

I had a CitiGo Colour Edition from the garage while my Fabia was in for a service. I was very impressed with the new radio system- very easy to pair my phone, very clear display, and the phone holder worked great once I'd worked out how to adjust it properly! I didn't use the Skoda app, I just used Android Auto running on my phone. For such a 'cheap' system it was great. TBH, it's all you need in a car like the CitiGo. TBH, the car was great all round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2018 at 14:18, warrenbos said:

Anyone know if the new phone cradle fits the old PID socket ?

Regrettably, I honestly don't think so, warrenbos.   I've just had a butchers at my car, & where (as I seem to remember) the old PID fitted into a sorta multi-socket which "fed" all of the various facilities available,  this new bird-eating-spider Cradle fits into a redesigned 'ole, & is intended to take its' feed from the new USB Port.   This USB Port isn't rated strongly enough to feed my new Garmin (I found that out only after I'd bought the appropriate lead)  but it is specifically designed for the new cradle (& a Smart Phone). So, I had to buy yet another lead which feeds off the 12v socket next to the gear lever. It works fine - the cable straggling down the front of the Dash excepted.   The USB will (so I am informed) keep a smart phone ticking over on whatever charge is present, but won't recharge it from scratch.

Also, this new bird-eating-spider cradle WILL NOT accept anything much larger than a very small, sweet & cuddly  smart phone - my 7" Garmin satnav is MUCH too large - which meant that I also had to buy the necessary holder for the Garmin, & which now sits immediately behind the hole fore the new cradle - leaving the opening totally exposed.   You "can" buy a blanking plate for it (one isn't supplied from the factory, simply the cradle) but from other Briskoda threads on this very same subject, they're in excess of £6 each, & mine therefore remains open & as a "bum fluff" gatherer.  

So, if anyone out there has a pre MY2017 Citigo (complete with PID) & is planning to take delivery of a new Citigo, it MAY be an idea (& certainly a cheaper option) to hang onto the blanking plate from the original car (returning the car with the PID in situ), & bung it in the hole on the new car.   BUT, only desirable if you don't intend to use a small (very small) smart phone in the new BES Cradle.   Hope that this helps.

9 hours ago, Michaelski said:

Regrettably, I honestly don't think so, warrenbos.   I've just had a butchers at my car, & where (as I seem to remember) the old PID fitted into a sorta multi-socket which "fed" all of the various facilities available,  this new bird-eating-spider Cradle fits into a redesigned 'ole, & is intended to take its' feed from the new USB Port.   This USB Port isn't rated strongly enough to feed my new Garmin (I found that out only after I'd bought the appropriate lead)  but it is specifically designed for the new cradle (& a Smart Phone). So, I had to buy yet another lead which feeds off the 12v socket next to the gear lever. It works fine - the cable straggling down the front of the Dash excepted.   The USB will (so I am informed) keep a smart phone ticking over on whatever charge is present, but won't recharge it from scratch.

Also, this new bird-eating-spider cradle WILL NOT accept anything much larger than a very small, sweet & cuddly  smart phone - my 7" Garmin satnav is MUCH too large - which meant that I also had to buy the necessary holder for the Garmin, & which now sits immediately behind the hole fore the new cradle - leaving the opening totally exposed.   You "can" buy a blanking plate for it (one isn't supplied from the factory, simply the cradle) but from other Briskoda threads on this very same subject, they're in excess of £6 each, & mine therefore remains open & as a "bum fluff" gatherer.  

So, if anyone out there has a pre MY2017 Citigo (complete with PID) & is planning to take delivery of a new Citigo, it MAY be an idea (& certainly a cheaper option) to hang onto the blanking plate from the original car (returning the car with the PID in situ), & bung it in the hole on the new car.   BUT, only desirable if you don't intend to use a small (very small) smart phone in the new BES Cradle.   Hope that this helps.

The phone cradle will fit a Samsung s8+ quite easily. The cradle does adjust (can’t remember how, something on the back or bottom) and the phone is sturdy once in place, the S8+ has a screen size of 6.2”. 

Do note though, if you own a device on the latest android, Skoda’s move and fun app doesn’t work at all currently, so it’s near pointless unless you use google maps, which is performing very well so far! 

Edited by Jonny118118

14 hours ago, Jonny118118 said:

The phone cradle will fit a Samsung s8+ quite easily. The cradle does adjust (can’t remember how, something on the back or bottom) and the phone is sturdy once in place, the S8+ has a screen size of 6.2”. 

Do note though, if you own a device on the latest android, Skoda’s move and fun app doesn’t work at all currently, so it’s near pointless unless you use google maps, which is performing very well so far! 

Thanks for that Jonny118118, & on reflection (so grovelling apologies to our reader) it was all of the more-than-wafer-thin Satnavs that the Cradle couldn't cope with - hence me having to buy a tailor-made  mounting.  From memory, it was the built-in bulge of the mounting point of the satnav that made the thickness far too large for the Cradle to accommodate.

As I do not "do" (literally DO NOT "do") modern technology, & can only cope with the Mobile that I own (the Mark 1 wind-driven version), going down the satnav route was the only available solution for me - either that, or take a concentrated crash course in what every child over the age of 3 years seems to know instinctively.