Felicia 1.3 Floods & won't start if stalled

Hello all,

I am slowly fixing up my Felicia, as it was in need of repair when I bought it, it runs much better now after replacing the spark plugs, air filter, fitting a new thermostat / housing with coolant temp sensor, cat converter and setting the valve clearances, but I seem to have a persistent issue.

It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or bang on 90 degrees, if I accidentally stall the car (which isn't a common occurrence), the engine floods and won't start again. Sometimes I can coax it back to life if I crank it for long enough, but sometimes that isn't enough and I have to unplug the injectors to allow it to clear itself, it will then start and run normally, although when this happens it smells very fuelly and will poof black smoke out of the exhaust when it finally starts.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Car seems to run and drive well other than that, although its a little on the sluggish side at times.

Thanks

Mike.

You could try a throttle body reset.

Make sure you have the radio code, then disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for a couple of hours. This will cause the EMS to "forget" learnt settings and have to "relearn" them the next time you use the car. It may not work, but at least it's free.

Also, what sort of mpg do you get? That can be diagnostic of fuelling faults.

Mikkey

Do you have access to a VAG-COM scanner to check for errors and live data? A fuel pressure gauge would help too. Using these two tools is the quickest, most efficient way to diagnose the problem. In their absence, all we can do is guess (lambda sensor, MAP/IAT sensor, fuel pressure regulator, etc.) and we don't want to be part changers, don't we?

You could try a throttle body reset.

Make sure you have the radio code, then disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for a couple of hours. This will cause the EMS to "forget" learnt settings and have to "relearn" them the next time you use the car. It may not work, but at least it's free.

Also, what sort of mpg do you get? That can be diagnostic of fuelling faults.

Sorry to hijack but my car isn't starting now and I've complained of bad MPG for a while. The recovery bloke reckoned it was due to flooding and it did smell petrol-ly,

Any help would be ideal!

Sorry to hijack...

Why not playing nice and creating your own topic?

You have a different car. You know that hijacking topics is wrong. But I am am afraid that with (almost) no useful information to offer, help is not near. So make an effort to create your topic then write as much details about your car as possible, such as: mileage, history of the issue, previous related issues, repairs, (lack of) maintenance, diagnoses, etc. and you'll get help. Otherwise it's a matter of "garbage in, garbage out).

Hopefully the hijacking ends here.

Let's remember that Briskoda is a friendly forum and whilst, in an ideal world everything has a it's own allotted place, there is latitude especially when new members are involved as it can sometimes be daunting for them. Likewise, sarcastic remarks don't always help the situation do they!