Fabia 1.2 Tsi DSG using oil

Hi folks, I have to confess i only come onto the forum when I've got a problem with my Skoda - which isn't very often thankfully.

I have been searching for an old thread I started on this subject but can't find it so will have to start again!

My Fabia is now drinking oil for England.  I've used 1/2 a gallon in the last 2 months.  It has actually just gone into the Skoda dealership for a minor service and I have asked if they will investigate the reason for the heavy oil consumption (or leakage?)  

I'm hoping someone might be able to have a guess at the problem before the workshop rings me up with a quote of £1000 to fix it!

Symptoms: None! No loss of power, no 'missing', no smoking, no oil patches on the driveway, no splatters of oil on the tailgate or on the front of the caravan after towing,  The only difference I have noticed is that my petrol consumption has also increased.  I used to be able to get 60mpg on a run but max lately has been 45mpg, approx 38 if only used on local runs.  

The car is 5 years old and is low mileage, at 42K.  It has been serviced regularly and not thrashed!  Oh, and yes, I do check my tyre pressures regularly.  Still waiting for a call from the Skoda dealer but I'm hoping I won't have to do an equity release exercise on my property to get this car sorted out!  A friend suggested that it could be something as straightforward as a leaking oil filler cap, but surely I'd be smelling oil in that case?

Any ideas/comments would be welcome, thank you.

Cynthia.

Isn't there an 'edit' button on this forum?  I've just found my old thread about the problem of excessive oil consumption; I see it was April this year that I was getting concerned about it, and have only just asked Skoda to investigate the problem.

I have learned one lesson at least (belatedly): Stick to dealership services and buy an extended warranty!  It seems like a lot of money when Skoda ask if you want to purchase one.  However, with the possibility of a large bill to pay, the warranty would have been the cheaper option.  Easy to be wise after the event.

Cynthia.

How many miles were covered in the 2 months that the 2 and a bit litres of oil were added.?

How much oil was being added up until 2 months ago and are you sure it is not being overfilled?

When and where was it serviced last year and are you sure the correct oil was put in then?

When was the oil level checked after the Service was carried out?

PS,

not related to your oil use, well maybe it could be, but relevant to your fuel use increasing.

?

Has the car had a new Air Filter fitted yet, or is it getting one this time.

and importantly, 

Has there been new spark plugs fitted at the last service, before that or going in at this service?

PPS,

what size / weight of caravan are you towing?

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Oil consumption/unit time is irrelevant; What we need is oil consumption/unit distance (often stated as volume / 1000 miles because that way you usually get something relevant to the quantities oil is sold in). Having said which, 8k miles/year suggests about 1l / 666 miles (approx figures) which does seem excessive.

If the car's "driven gently" it could also suggest a number of "natural causes".

How are you checking the oil level? I have found that my 1.2 tsi engined cars are very fussy how they are checked otherwise your levels are all wrong. They are much more sensitive to this than any other cars I've owned.

First, the engine must be warm, not cold or very hot. Park the car on a perfectly level surface (important) and switch the engine off. Wait for between 3 and 5 minutes, then remove dipstick and wipe clean. After 30 seconds or so, dip the dipstick to the bottom and pull out. The ideal level is just below the top of the hatched area, but anywhere between halfway to the top of the hatched area is fine. DO NOT FILL ABOVE THE HATCHED AREA, it seems to just burn the excess off.

I've also found on the Octavia that lost oil ( about 1 litre /5k miles) that the dealer way overtightened the oil filter, damaging the internal rubber sealing ring that seals closed the service drain pathway to the sump. Since I changed the filter myself and fitted it correctly, the mysterious oil useage seems to have vanished completely. This filter gross overtightening is common (also on my 1.2tsi fabia) and is associated with cam chain rattles on cold starts as the filter can drain down to sump when stood because the seal is compromised.

Of course really high consumption like the op hints, may be the sign of something much more serious.

Edit: just read the ops original thread/post. The "irritating rattle" she refers to could very well be the camchain and low oil pressure (maybe as a result of an overtightened oil filter / damaged seal I referred to earlier) which is not holding the hydraulic chain tensioner. In that case maybe general engine wear due to lack of lubrication at idle - could be bad news.

That is why I don't trust dealers.

Edited by xman

How many miles were covered in the 2 months that the 2 and a bit litres of oil were added.?

How much oil was being added up until 2 months ago and are you sure it is not being overfilled?

When and where was it serviced last year and are you sure the correct oil was put in then?

When was the oil level checked after the Service was carried out?

PS,

not related to your oil use, well maybe it could be, but relevant to your fuel use increasing.

?

Has the car had a new Air Filter fitted yet, or is it getting one this time.

and importantly, 

Has there been new spark plugs fitted at the last service, before that or going in at this service?

PPS,

what size / weight of caravan are you towing?

Thanks: Mileage since 1/2 gallon oil added: approx 1800.  I have no idea of the exact amount of oil consumption prior to that, but put more oil in during the previous 6 months than I had in the first 4 years of ownership!  I am very careful not to overfill it!  I have no idea what sort of oil was used at the non-dealer service last year.  I check the oil before setting out on a long journey.

Air filter and spark plugs fitted at last years service.

Caravan: Gobur Carousel folding caravan, 10' long, 5'8" wide, 555kg MIRO, 750kg max laden weight.  Though as I travel light I doubt if the weight ever goes beyond 650kg.

How are you checking the oil level? I have found that my 1.2 tsi engined cars are very fussy how they are checked otherwise your levels are all wrong. They are much more sensitive to this than any other cars I've owned.

First, the engine must be warm, not cold or very hot. Park the car on a perfectly level surface (important) and switch the engine off. Wait for between 3 and 5 minutes, then remove dipstick and wipe clean. After 30 seconds or so, dip the dipstick to the bottom and pull out. The ideal level is just below the top of the hatched area, but anywhere between halfway to the top of the hatched area is fine. DO NOT FILL ABOVE THE HATCHED AREA, it seems to just burn the excess off.

I've also found on the Octavia that lost oil ( about 1 litre /5k miles) that the dealer way overtightened the oil filter, damaging the internal rubber sealing ring that seals closed the service drain pathway to the sump. Since I changed the filter myself and fitted it correctly, the mysterious oil useage seems to have vanished completely. This filter gross overtightening is common (also on my 1.2tsi fabia) and is associated with cam chain rattles on cold starts as the filter can drain down to sump when stood because the seal is compromised.

Of course really high consumption like the op hints, may be the sign of something much more serious.

Edit: just read the ops original thread/post. The "irritating rattle" she refers to could very well be the camchain and low oil pressure (maybe as a result of an overtightened oil filter / damaged seal I referred to earlier) which is not holding the hydraulic chain tensioner. In that case maybe general engine wear due to lack of lubrication at idle - could be bad news.

That is why I don't trust dealers.

I must admit I tend to check the oil level when the engine is cold.

I think the 'irritating rattle' is some fitting under the bonnet which vibrates at times.  It is not constant.

Something else / DSG.

?

Did your car come up as needing the DSG Service Campaign doing,  (synthetic oil changed for mineral and a software update for the DSG)

were you told about it since May 2014.  Was it done?

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Oooh, all these questions.... my brain hurts.  I don't remember having a recall re: the DSG box.

The Fabia was serviced (a minor service) at a Skoda dealership on 4th August.  I asked for the oil leak/excessive consumption to be investigated.  The car was returned to me with an advisory: 'Oil leak at the back of the engine.  Return the car to the dealership in two months time or if the oil warning light is illuminated, in order for the technicians to gauge the amount of oil being lost through leakage'  I was advised that the leak was probably from an oil seal, which would not involve huge expense to correct.  We shall see.