Cracked windscreen

mbames

I left work today at about 6.30 and all was fine. Drove about 10 miles to Dorchester where I left the car parked in a "safe" car park. Went to a meeting, and left at about 9.30. When I got back into the car I noticed a crack about 13 inches long running from the bottom passenger side of the winscreen up at about 40 degrees.

Is this a common problem? The crack seemed to appear when I was not even driving the car! I am sure that I did not do anything nasty to the car on the drive to dorchester - no pot holes, and certainly no "stone chip" bangs that sometimes you get after a recently resurfaced road. (this is dorset, where roads are not resurfaced!)

I have fully comp insurance, so I guess the replacement screen is not an issue (apart from the excess :-( )

Matt

Not sure.... I got the car [Octy Estate, mk1] about 10 months ago, and it is on a 2001 plate, with 2 previous owners (lease company, and then one bloke).

I assume there is no easy way to find out if it is a dealer issue?

I had mine replaced under warrenty, similar kind of thing. I went to my local dealers and spoke directly to the guy who deals with warrenty issues, he agreed that there was no apparent sign of a stone impact and said he would talk to Skoda UK although he wasn't too hopeful. However they agreed with his assesment and replaced the windscreen. It would seem as though this is a fairly regular event.My advice? get the dealership on your side, good luck.

edit: bugger, just realised yours is outside the 3 year warrenty. :(

I guess it would do me no harm to phone a dealer (or two then).... not sure that I could be arsed to drive to any of them though unless the chance of getting a replacement screen free was high (i'm in Weymouth and the local dealers are Corfe Mullen and Yoevil)