Gemini wheel scratches

When I took delivery of my vRS on 4th March this year, I checked the whole car over and was happy with the condition of it. 10 days and 500 miles later I washed it on the 14th March and noticed the below scratches to the wheels.

Due to being extremely busy with work and a variable calendar, I hadn't booked the car in to be checked over, but took it in today where I was told that warranty would not cover it as the damage was 'consistent with being washed incorrectly'.

Has anybody else seen similar scratches to their Gemini wheels, and if so, did your dealer/Skoda UK authorise the repair/replacement of the wheels?

The damage is similar across all 4 wheels and is on both the spokes and 'dishes' between spokes, but all diamond cut faces are still perfect where I've avoided kerbs like the plague.

post-47620-0-43541900-1470856191_thumb.jpg post-47620-0-27667000-1470856205_thumb.jpg post-47620-0-26020000-1470856219_thumb.jpg post-47620-0-33128200-1470856226_thumb.jpg post-47620-0-95217300-1470856232_thumb.jpg post-47620-0-83933700-1470856241_thumb.jpg post-47620-0-72609900-1470856247_thumb.jpg

They don't look like the sort of damage incurred through normal use, especially if they are on all four.

Are you certain they are new? I wonder if they were damaged in transit?

They don't look like the sort of damage incurred through normal use, especially if they are on all four.

Are you certain they are new? I wonder if they were damaged in transit?

I agree, definitely not normal. All four have very similar marks.

No idea if they are new or not, but I didn't notice any damage at handover - only on my first wash. Incidentally, to say my washing technique has damaged them is laughable - I pressure wash first to remove anything loose, then apply Bilberry wheel cleaner and let it dwell for a few minutes before rinsing off, and only then do I actually use a soft wheel brush and Autoglym wheel cleaner if there's any dirt left to remove. It's the most thorough and careful I've ever been with any wheels, and also the only set I've had get damaged!

It actually looks like vandalism to me.

But if that was the case, wouldn't you expect to see damage to the diamond cut faces? The scratches are also deep enough to catch a fingernail in, but not deep enough for keying in my opinion.

But if that was the case, wouldn't you expect to see damage to the diamond cut faces? The scratches are also deep enough to catch a fingernail in, but not deep enough for keying in my opinion.

True, it's the randomness of them that made me think of vandalism. It's like someone intended to make as much of a mess of them as they could.

They could also be consistent with cleaning technique, I've had similar types of scratches on my Octavia's bodywork from those hand wash places, but no where near as many in a small area.

It's going to be difficult to prove because you've left it for so long before informing the dealer, unless you have proof they were there in March?

It's going to be difficult to prove because you've left it for so long before informing the dealer, unless you have proof they were there in March?

I have photos with exif data from March 14th, as well as an email to the supplying dealer on the 15th with photos attached.

Have emailed Skoda UK to see what they say.

That's good news. Check out the VRS clutch slip thread for an idea of the battle you might have, but if you found them within a few days of picking the car up, the onus is on them to prove they did not exist before.

Good luck with it!

What wheel brush have you got?

Has it got any sharp bits that could cause scratches?

I've had to chuck out a Vikan wheel brush, as the metal rod the bristles are attached to is sharp and scratched one of my wheels a bit.

The damage looks like someone has been a bit too vigorous with a wheel brush.

Edited by glosrich

Washing, with small stones getting dragged or road surface material/debris coming over your wheel?

+1

The damage would tally if the OP did drag a grit-covered hose over the wheel surface, as I stupidly did the same on my old MkII's body panels which required expensive bodyshop attention. However his cleaning method would suggest that he hasn't done this very disappointing damage. I think the only answer is to go to a good paint shop and have them repaired.

At the point I first noticed the scratches, I had not used a wheel brush - only after to clean away any residual dirt so I could check the scratches out further.

I'd also be quite impressed if it was possible to 'drag a dirt covered hose' over the wheel surface in the body of the wheel, but not touch the polished face at all. As stated, I am 100% certain my cleaning methods did not cause this damage.

To tally that, the damage has not got any worse since I first reported it. If it was my cleaning method, it would be expected to get worse each time, wouldn't it?

Skoda phoned me back today (after I specifically asked for an email response so I can have a written log of all correspondence). They will pass my email on to technical to take a look...

Annoying I appreciate and feel your pain. Can't imagine what would have caused it except for poor cleaning (likely at the dealers before you picked it up). I have been particularly careful with mine and they still get fine scratches, but not nearly as deep as yours.

Suggest you remedy by painting them black immediately. 

Suggest you remedy by painting them black immediately.

I'm not a huge fan of black wheels, but definitely can't do that regardless - car is on a 2 year PCH, so needs to be returned in the same condition it was received...

Could it have been a cat?

Possibly.

It could also have been a small child with a penknife.

I'm going with the damage being there when the vehicle was delivered to me though.

It was probably done at the dealership when it was prepped, and the silicon tyre shine overspray probably covered a lot of it up.

However as you have left it 5 months to show them, they will no doubt wriggle out of fixing it.

Hopefully not.

There are loads of stones on the road surface that can get flicked up and catch the wheel as it's turning and you're driving.

As it hasn't breached the paintwork, I think you'll be hard pushed.

That's absolutely fine - I'm not too bothered about it getting fixed, just want to be absolved of any blame now it's been moved in my direction. If the car was mine, I would be more concerned, but as it's on PCH so will be going back to Skoda I have no problem if they wish to call it 'fair wear and tear'. 

It was probably done at the dealership when it was prepped, and the silicon tyre shine overspray probably covered a lot of it up.

However as you have left it 5 months to show them, they will no doubt wriggle out of fixing it.

Hopefully not.

As above, photos were taken and submitted to the supplying dealer the day after the damage was found, which was only 10 days after I took delivery.