Park Assist Question

I will be ordering a new superb SEL exec in the next few days and have a question on park assist - I think I remember reading somewhere that if you add park assist the front parking sensors are better than if you just add front parking sensors as there are extra sensors that wrap around the front corner. Can anyone advise if this is true? Thanks

Hi. I have park assist. I don't know how the sensors differ if you don't have park assist but I can confirm the 'wrap around' sensors with park assist. My guess would be the sensors are the same and the extra you get with assist is the steering wheel control and radar scanning. Either way, having never had parking sensors and never having hit anything - till I hit 3 things in a week with sensors, I'd opt for no sensors at all and good old fashioned judgment! Not really, I quite like them but it is important not to rely on tech too much. When lane assist started telling me to take over the steering on the motorway, it took me ages to climb back out of the boot where I was happily making a cup of Bovril!

• Like 1

Whitout Park Assist: 8 parking sensors. 4 in the front, 4 in the rear.

WITH Park Assist: 12 parking sensors. 8 + 2 near the front wheels + 2 near the rear wheels.

post-114114-0-48851900-1470947191_thumb.jpegpost-114114-0-34908200-1470947228_thumb.jpegpost-114114-0-35026500-1470947272_thumb.jpegpost-114114-0-70065600-1470947565_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Jprodrigues

and use the brake when using park assist, it doesn't tell you that in the manual.

I expected a slow steady reverse park but got a 20 mph reverse park the first time I tried it.

Thanks for the replies. So from this when you get park assist with the 12 sensors, when parking the car yourself and not using the self park, do the parking sensors operate on all 6 sensors at the relevant end of the car or are the extra 2 at each end only used for measuring the lenght of a space on the auto park system?

Yeah, the extra sensors give you proximity measurements/warnings down the entire length of the car's sides instead of just at the front and back, so they are all used & definitely better than just the regular front & back sensors

• Like 1

I ordered park assist with my Superb SEL Executive and think that it is a great piece of kit.

It will get you into spaces that you never thought possible, and get you out of them.

I don't have need to use it often, but I am really glad I ordered it.

Plus, you can park with a great big smile on your face as you see the car park itself!

It's also useful when you are squeezing down a narrow lane as the sensors on the side will let you know if you are close to anything that you perhaps haven't seen.

Well worth the money in my humble opinion.

I have an SE L Executive and specc'd just the parking sensors. To be frank I think they aren't great. When compared to my Octavia VRS's system (also only 8 sensors) it misses stuff on the 3/4's front and rear meaning I now don't trust it fully.

I didn't know the basic system differed from Park Assist option. If I had I may have considered the PA system, but it was just that wee bit too expensive for my pocket being that this was a private buy... and I have a wife who spends everything else!

If you can afford it then spec it, and definitely add TSR @ £85 as that option will allow the enabling of over a grands worth of extras such as lane assist and high beam assist to be added free of charge/ beer tokens by a VCDS owner.

Auto Hold is also fantastic value for money, smartgate isn't so steer clear!

Edited by blahde2

I have an SE L Executive and specc'd just the parking sensors. To be frank I think they aren't great. When compared to my Octavia VRS's system (also only 8 sensors) it misses stuff on the 3/4's front and rear meaning I now don't trust it fully.

I didn't know the basic system differed from Park Assist option. If I had I may have considered the PA system, but it was just that wee bit too expensive for my pocket being that this was a private buy... and I have a wife who spends everything else!

If you can afford it then spec it, and definitely add TSR @ £85 as that option will allow the enabling of over a grands worth of extras such as lane assist and high beam assist to be added free of charge/ beer tokens by a VCDS owner.

Auto Hold is also fantastic value for money, smartgate isn't so steer clear!

That's great advice about the TSR and just in time - I am going to order tomorrow, I had been wondering about it so will definitely add it.

• Like 1