Octavia 3 reverse cam fitting questions before I start :)

I wonder if you would be kind enough to help a little? I own a 2016 vrs230.

I have bought a genuine Skoda camera (pic1) and intend to install it myself. I have a few questions about the connection that I would appreciate your input on before I go ahead and start the installation?

I have read the guide given by trust2k but he fits a non OEM item and mentions something about the differences in power supply

I'd like to connect mine as it would have been from factory

Pic 1 - overview of purchase

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/clio123/media/file_zps8lgtgor1.jpg.html'>file_zps8lgtgor1.jpg

Pic 2 - Camera video cable inputs.

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/clio123/media/file_zpsa26lya31.jpg.html'>file_zpsa26lya31.jpg

• I understand that this pair connect to the blue connector (pins 12 and 6). Is this blue connector found at the back of the Amundsen head unit or at the back of the module located in the glovebox?

Pic 3 - The brown wire with round connector

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/clio123/media/file_zpslmp1dmsw.jpg.html'>file_zpslmp1dmsw.jpg 

• This brown wire is shorter than the red and the black and I assume it connects to somewhere in the tailgate lid - can you please advise where? (I have an electric tailgate)

The instructions state the brown should be +ve, is this correct? Where would you advise connection?

Pic 4 - The black wire

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/clio123/media/file_zpsmf4spdfr.jpg.html'>file_zpsmf4spdfr.jpg 

This black wire is shorter than the red wire but still long enough to reach the length of the vehicle. I understand this is to be connected to -ve. Where would you advise this connection?

Pic 5 - The red wire

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/clio123/media/file_zpsq99dicyn.jpg.html'>file_zpsq99dicyn.jpg 

This red wire is the longest of the three and I understand it is to be again connection to +ve. Again where would you suggest this is connected?

Finally - the coding.

Pic 6 - Headunit details

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/clio123/media/file_zps2hibkm6s.jpg.html'>file_zps2hibkm6s.jpg

I understand that for my head unit (Amundsen with bluetooth handsfree) that the coding is as follows:

Code byte 19 bit 4 in 5f to enable, and in 10 check rvc in 2nd or 3rd byte

I have been sent this by the supplier - is this correct for my headunit?

• Like 1

Hi,

cannot be sure but if the colour coding is as per the rest of the car's wireing the brown is the -ve or ground this also looks to be the case as it has an eye on the end to go under a body bolt.

I would expect to find a ground wire and a +ve wire. if the camera is in the release handle there will be a wire for the release switch.

The video wires just clip into the plastic socket on the back of the unit in the glove box (ensure you get then the correct way round)

John

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and help.

I made a start today - got the camera fitted and wires routed. I had the same thoughts as you and decided to stick to the OEM wiring code. I picked up the +ve and -ve from the supply to the rear wiper in the boot and took the red down to the front ready for fitting in the fusebox with the Parking aid fuse.

I know the mentioned route was to take it down the pillars and under all the floor trim - I used a far easier route down the box section under the roof lining. Removed rear boot seal and fed a wiring router along and then removed the A Pillar trim and hey presto.

Just the glovebox connection and coding that I'll do tomorrow.

No there is lots of room. There's a box section that separates them and I ran the cable inside, plus theres a few other cables following the same path

The curtain airbags are just affixed to the very edge near the gutter. There's also airbags in the A pillar with a myriad of cables and roof drain lines

Mine has the Pan roof - not sure if the roof architecture is the same without though

Edited by Wakey

I've got the panoramic roof too, so that should be fine. I've just done the coding as mentioned above, before I have even started the install :D

However, I now get a message on start up, saying the park pilot is unavailable? The reverse sensors still work, but no visuals appear at all on the screen, it doesn't even change from the nav or media screen? I am hoping it will resolve itself when I connect the camera, I have screen shots of the original coding anyway if the worst happens...

Well It's done and working well.

In addition to the excellent write up here from post 23 onwards then I can add the following for UK owners

I bought the camera (OEM Skoda) from http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/rear-view-cameras/oem-5e5827566c-rvc-lowline-camera-kit/

I did find it elsewhere online for czk5000 but the owner of the above business matched the price. All in for delivery to UK mainland was 200Euro.

The connections to the Media controller are the same as the above thread - 6 and 12 in the blue block from the quadlock.

The 3 supply wires are red (+ve from fuse 32 park assistin glovebox) Brown (-ve from brown on rear wiper motor) Black (+ve from black/purple on rear wiper motor)

I routed the cables to the front from the rear hatch via the LHS boot bellows and under the roof lining. To get through bellows I used 1.5mm strimmer cord. To thread along the roof then I used a cable router pole kit.

Extra bits I found useful were adhesive fabric cable tape for insulation and anti vibration.

A mini fuse tap for glovebox connection

Notes

I found the roof route far far easier and less intrusive with removing the risk of broken trim clips.

The coding was to Code byte 19, bit 4 in 5f to enable camera display, and in byte 10; check rvc present/in option

Take your time refitting A pillar trim - its possible to thread down without removal but as there is an airbag in there I wanted to remove and ensure no interference 

Hope that helps.

• 7 months later...

I am looking to install this camera and have some questions about the red wire.  Am I right to assume that this wire should be on a switched 12V supply that is only powered when park assist is active?

I want to make this install as OEM as possible and would like to avoid using a piggyback fuse, I'm a bit of a perfectionist with this sort of thing!  Does anyone know what the red wire would be connected to out of the factory and whether there is a good place to tap into this signal?

• 2 weeks later...

I've now fitted the camera so I'll answer my own question in case it's useful to anyone.

When I looked into this more I found conflicting information on which wire (red or black) was for the permanent 12V supply and which was for the reverse signal.  I took some current measurements on each wire and I believe that the red wire is for permanent 12V supply and black is for the reverse signal.

In the end I tapped into the rear wiper supply wires for the -ve (brown wire) and permanent 12V supply (red wire) of the camera.  I then tapped into the left hand reverse light wire for the reverse signal (black wire).  Using the reverse light wire for the reverse signal isn't very elegant, but it's the only option I could find and seems to be what most people do.  

FWIW, I believe the wiring that Wakey described previously would result in the camera being permanently powered up whenever the ignition is on. I could be missing something though and am happy to be corrected.  From what I have seen both fuse 32 and the rear wiper supply would be at a permanent 12v when the ignition is on.