New to Skoda....Fabia a good choice?

jamsy

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to Skoda.

Sold my guzzler of a car yesterday and now i'm car less.

I've been looking at the fabia's for a while as i need an economical car.

I've seen one for sale locally, 2008 Fabia level 3 TDI 1.9, 38,600 miles on the clock £4895

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to car's  so any pointers as what to look out for would be great, should i be worried about the low milleage as the car is 8 years old? what sort of real life MPG should i get?

Cheers in advance,

Wayne

Hi,

Firstly welcome

Have a mk1 Fabia 1.9tdi and used to have the mk11 also 1.9tdi, ( replaced it with octavia estate needed big car for uni runs and student essential transportation) prefer the mk1 but that's not to say the mk11 is at all bad, seems built to a price though sums up the difference if that makes sense

Check cam belt should be done every 4 or 5 years regardless of mileage so either well due or just been done, common fault electric window, check they work !!

Otherwise price seems a bit ambitious and I'd want full documented history, not just couple of early stamps in the book then ' oh it's been done by the owner ' these engines can and do wear mileage well

Remember if it looks too good to be true...............

• Like 1

^^^

I think the price looks a bit strong as well.

Agree FSH is a must - it's important these engines are serviced using the correct oil spec. - otherwise the camshaft can end up goosed - looked after properly they can chug along for moon-and-back mileage.

• Like 1

Cheers for all that guys,

Just got back from the garage, they wouldn't budge on price but it does have fsh.

It comes with 12 months warranty (parts and labour), 6 months tax and they said they will replace 2 tyres as they only have a couple of months left in them.

Picking it up on Monday.

Enjoy.

What actually is a FSH ?

Has it been on Fixed Servicing & annually had a Service Minor, Major, Minor etc, and an Oil & Filter Change each time.

So 8 Times the Oil & Filter changed in 8 years & under 40,000 miles, all documented on the Skoda Computer System..

As long as the Warranty is good.

Just bought an 08 a  few weeks back for a similar price . Mk  2 level 3 all bells & whistles .  Only difference I dont do   diesels since long before the VW Diesel scandal , & mine is an automatic estate . Great build quality , loads of room in a small car , comfy seats   , reliable so far .  Down side ..if you have 16" wheels with 45 profile tyres ..Rough ride over broken surfaces  , bit bang& crash over  pot holes , but does hold the road well.  Good paint work , enough poke from 1.6 petrol engine .  Diesel will be much lower tax & better  economy . ( this doesn't worry me ) .Easy to park .

• Like 1

While less refined e.g. noisier and lumpier tickover the 1.9tdi is more reliable than the 1.6cr, not so much the actual engine but rather the various issues with the emissions system that also mean little improvement in mpg.

The price seem high although you are getting 12months warranty on a 8 year old car, 6 months tax and two ( budget (no)brand ? ) tyres.

The correct spec oil is essential due to the pressures it is put under and the cam belt should have been done at least a couple of years ago, also brake fluid and coolant changes.

After a lot a haggling the final price offered as a part-ex for a 2011 Elegance ( later nominal equivalent of level 3 ) was £4400.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys,

I never thought about the cambelt, i'll ring them about that tomorrow.

with regards to the tyres, i'm guessing they will be cheapy ones

jamsy,

The cam belt change is an absolute must, you state FSH on this car I'd be inclined to question the validity of that statement if NO record of cam belt, tensioner and water pump being changed at least once and preferably twice at 4 and 8 year services, essentially the car won't have been serviced correctly and therefor you haven't got FSH if no cam belt etc changed, at that purchase price the car needs to be spot on, no if buts or maybes

Finally got hold of someone from the garage yesterday. The cambelt was changed in 2012. i asked if it would be changed now as it was 4 years ago they said that it wouldn't but it would come under the warranty.

Should i be worried?

Finally got hold of someone from the garage yesterday. The cambelt was changed in 2012. i asked if it would be changed now as it was 4 years ago they said that it wouldn't but it would come under the warranty.

Should i be worried?

Get them to put that in writing if they mean the Warranty Provided with the car you bought will cover the failure of the cambelt during the period of the warranty.

Then read the Warranty Terms and conditions you received.

IMO potentially a VERY grey area. The warranty will probably have a clause about servicing to the manufacturers schedule.

Taking this right to the limit if the belt was replaced on 31st December 2012 it is due again on 31st December 2016. If a failure 31st January 2017 would you be covered ??

Regardless you are paying top price for this car yet an expensive job is due very soon and potentially one reason why the previous owner decided to change cars. The cheaper option is to replace the belt only not water pump also but then if this goes all the same dismantling is required which is the majority of the cost, plus a coolant change will due due sooner or later anyway so IMO false economy.

Right now looking quickly nothing similar on eBay classifieds close to this mileage but equally most listed are priced much lower ....

If the belt was changed in 2012, the fact we are in August means there's a 66% chance that it is a least 4 years ago 10% chance it's due now, max it is due in the next 3 months, as the garage will pay trade rates, what with vat being recoverable and the total bill being offset against tax on profits I'd walk away if the belt pump and tensioner wasn't done, stating that it won't be covered for the entire warrenty period, so to keep the warrenty valid you will have to have it done,

Basically being bloody nosey I guess, but did you actually pick up the car today and was cam belt issue resolved ?

Yes! Picked it up yesterday.

They have agreed to get the cambelt replaced as Skoda have advised them it needs to be done. I'm getting it booked in for sometime next week.

First job is to get the stereo changed! Just discovered that it doesn't play MP3 discs...grrr

Any advice on how to replace it myself?

Thanks, Jamsy

Hi, good news re cam belt that's a step in the right direction, I defo ain't the one to ask re ice but I think I've seen a separate thread covering all in car info and entertainment, but ask away on here lots of posters in the know

Hope all goes well with your car enjoy !