Brisk starts?

It's purely academic as a front wheel drive family car is never going to be a dragster, but with a re-mapped vRS a lot of care with the throttle is needed or the wheelspin in first hampers a quick start in the dry.

Although a bit brutal (and I wouldn't do it to my car!) would a 2nd gear clutch dump drag start be quicker?

What's the accepted wisdom?

Does anybody fancy trying it in their car? :)

I've contented myself with trundling away in first, feeding in the power gently and then getting into second fairly quickly although stamping on the gas isn't an option then either!

It must be tricky to get a good start in one of the big turbo cars!

i found 1500rpm and a then planting it while feeding the clutch out seems to give fairly good results... lots of thrust anyway... wouldnt think it would do the clutch / box any good mind and mines not remapped.

the R19 16v i used to have had a group n clutch in, i could rev that to 4000rpm and dump the clutch and it would just go... a little wheel spin but not much in the dry with decent tyres.

i found 1500rpm and a then planting it while feeding the clutch out seems to give fairly good results... lots of thrust anyway... wouldnt think it would do the clutch / box any good mind and mines not remapped.

i agree its albout find the right amount of slip on the clutch too much slip you fry it too little its wheelspinville...im my experence don't even bother with second it just goes messy... even with high revs and dumping the clutch... you just end in a near stall situation looking like a tit...

its all about 1st gear traction control off a the right amount of clutch slip....

BTW for the record most of last year was spent drag racing my octy... i feel i have perfected the perfect launch...

thanks

Joel

The re-mapped car has a lot more boost and, therefore, torque at low rpm. Even in second it can break traction whne rolling if you plant it .

i am well aware of that as mine too is remapped with lots of other goodies bolted on... and i agree when rolling second can throw up all sorts of traction problems... but for a quick stationary start second just don't cut it... certain amount of clutch bite balence is needed once rolling... but power can be put down harder and quicker but still not dumped...

its all about being smooth..

Joel

I'm scared of 2nd gear launches a) due to my worry about components breaking (even with 400 lb/ft clutch) and B) I think due to lack of practise I'd stall it.

I should go somewhere off the beaten track, and do some trials. :) If I want to make progress 1st gear is a waste of time. 2nd gear is also pointless sometimes. :o

Much more reliable to drive off reasonably calmly in first, a little play in 2nd, and then in 3rd you can let rip once you're off that clutch pedal.

Not disputing that if you're skilled etc with feeding clutch/accelerator in you'll be quicker though - I just can't be @rsed with that on a day-to-day basis.

I try to get off the line as briskly as possible in 1st, then into 2nd and welly it :D :D Still get some wheelspin even in the dry :mad: :mad:

3rd is my favourite - meaningful acceleration from 30 to 100 :eek: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Never had any problems with first gear launches at all in my Octy pre-big turbo? Don't know what all the fuss is about :D Just rev it, drop the clutch and off you go!

First gear starts are absolutely impossible with a big turbo unless you change bits (as i hope to find out shortly :D )

i agree its albout find the right amount of slip on the clutch too much slip you fry it too little its wheelspinville...im my experence don't even bother with second it just goes messy... even with high revs and dumping the clutch... you just end in a near stall situation looking like a tit...

its all about 1st gear traction control off a the right amount of clutch slip....

BTW for the record most of last year was spent drag racing my octy... i feel i have perfected the perfect launch...

thanks

Joel

Do you use highish rev's & slip the clutch' date=' or feed the rev's in as you feed the clutch in?

[i had a little go from the lights a couple of days ago with an mid 90's (private plate) 328 coupe. In first & second he murdered me; going into third I shot past. (I think he'd given up by then :D )

I let the clutch straight up at about 4500. My ASR was on. The car went 'bang, bang, bang' & hopped about a bit until I backed off. Very embarrassing :o

I'm used to rear wheel drive or my wife's 1.8 Mondeo estate. So I just rev & drop in the clutch. I either need to practise, or better still content myself with driving like the middle-aged man I am. :(]

I start between 1500 and 2500 rpm.... feed the revs in gradulay but quickly at the same time move through the bite of the clutch....don't even try and get a fast lauch with traction control on..it just takes all the power....you can do it but its a game of chance feed to much to quickly and it says no you dont and takes the power off you...

Joel

First gear starts are absolutely impossible with a big turbo unless you change bits (as i hope to find out shortly :D )

Perhaps that's because you're using 2bar of boost?;):D

Must admit I haven't really used 1st gear in anger yet.....just to get rolling really and then upto about 4k and then into 2nd.

Too many revs and I get wheel spin easily in low boost mode (0.7bar)