Cracked fog lights and noisy A/C?

So my Fabia has been out on the roads for 18.000km now, and I just noticed that both my foglights are cracked diagonally.. Doesn't look like it's been chipped by a rock..

Anybody else had this problem?

Going in for a new A/C compressor in late August and will take this up with them..

It makes kind of an rattling whistling sound, can only hear it when the car is on idle and the fannspeed is low.. But its there and really annoying. Hope the new compressor will be better..

Oh yeah.. I forgot to mention that my 3rd brakelight has cracked as well.. And yes, I am very careful with my car and it's only being handwashed. That's why I'm curious about these cracked plastic covers...

Dippis, on the positive side of things, if your car was delivered with a ribbed EVAP pipe, have you had it replaced with a smooth walled rubber one to stop the annoying Peeeeeping noises?

Now this is something I've missed.. What's EVAP? :)

Dippis, on the positive side of things, if your car was delivered with a ribbed EVAP pipe, have you had it replaced with a smooth walled rubber one to stop the annoying Peeeeeping noises?

Now this is something I've missed.. What's EVAP? :)

EVAP, is the evaporation collection carbon container that by law is there to stop any petrol fumes escaping into the environment, how the car services this container to keep it clear of gathered petrol fumes is to open an air valve on the car inlet manifold, that air valve is connected to the carbon container, so it gets pulsed at certain times when the car is running, mainly this will be when the engine has warmed up and running under light load. After initial car start after maybe an overnight stop time, and after the engine has warmed up and on light load, this valve is very active for a short time, and any time later under similar conditions will be getting pulsed. What you hear in the cabin will be a "Peeping" noise, repeating and of varying periods of duration, now maybe most people either can't hear it, don't really care at yet another noise, Skoda/VW/SEAT don't seem to be getting too many complaints about this, but, current cars have this hose changed and maybe later cars will have this area modified to stop this. So there is a valid reason to complain about it if you can hear it, it is due to a VAG design mess up, as said by someone on this forum a long time ago, that pipe is "tuned" and when air is pulsed through it, it give off an audible annoying noise - should not be like that and does not need to be like that!

It would help a lot if you could upload some photo's of the lights?

Edited by RickW

Mate, do you hand dry your lights? In the manual it says not to hand dry them, annoyingly, to stop cracking from happening. Is this maybe what's caused it? :(

If that is what is written in the owner's manual, that is shocking, I can't see how that would cause cracking, VAG do have a habit of designing and getting made for them, some duff light assemblies, daughter's late 2009 Ibiza SC is prone to its rear light clusters leaking at the weld between the lens cover and the body of the cluster, if it had done that under warranty SEAT would have replaced the clusters with out batting an eye lid, same it sounds like, for one of the SEAT Leon versions, I think in these cases it is Valeo that manufacturers these duff assemblies, how hard is it to get that right - first time, not rocket science?

Edit:- I'd be hoping that it was a sizing issue that is to blame, and that is why they are cracking with the stress of being mounted in too small a space.

Edited by rum4mo

That was my plan, but I can't attach pictures.. Due to being a new forum user?

It would help a lot if you could upload some photo's of the lights?

• Like 1

Mate, do you hand dry your lights? In the manual it says not to hand dry them, annoyingly, to stop cracking from happening. Is this maybe what's caused it? :(

Wow,I've been hand drying my Fabia lights every time I wash it for weeks now and not a crack in sight. In fact I've been hand drying lights since my first car in 1974,a Mini,and never had a cracked light on all the many cars I've had since then.

Now if I used a small hammer to hand dry my lights I might experience it then.

• Like 2

That was my plan, but I can't attach pictures.. Due to being a new forum user?

You should still be able to link to pictures no? Upload them somewhere like Imgur, then copy the link into the image bit in the text editor. It's the little one that looks like a polaroid picture, a popup box appears asking for that URL.

I haven´t got it replaced, But I will make sure it´s updated.. Thank You! 

Yes, I do hand dry every bit of My car, Might be that I won´t tell My dealer about that.. Should´t be a problem to hand dry the lights on a brand new car..

https://imgur.com/UVOWGsb

https://imgur.com/dTHViUK

https://imgur.com/dIdNiBZ

There we go! I hope.. I prefer pen and paper.. ;)

Well done and thanks.

That looks very serious to me and shouldn't happen under normal wear and tear conditions.

I would be claiming on the warranty for that but it may be hard to prove that it's a manufacturing fault.

Good luck with trying.

Well done and thanks.

That looks very serious to me and shouldn't happen under normal wear and tear conditions.

I would be claiming on the warranty for that but it may be hard to prove that it's a manufacturing fault.

Good luck with trying.

Thanks.. I'll have them look at it when they change the A/c compressor on Monday 29th, I am determined that these lights will be under warranty, our local dealer is usually very good with these questions..

• 2 weeks later...

On page 144 of my handbook under Headlight Glass it says Caution. It says the headlights are never to be wiped dry. There is a risk of damaging the protective lacquer and the headlight glass subsequently developing cracks. Have never put my car through an automatic car wash but wonder what the long term effect it would have on the headlamps. No mention seems to be made about cleaning the fog light glass I suppose it might be wise to assume it's the same material as the headlights Joe

So, my dealer will not replace the foglights or the 3rd brakelight due to "outer impact".

I do not agree to this, I guess this will be a followup in a couple of weeks....

• 4 months later...

So.. finally. I got the 3rd brakelight changed under my warranty, but had to pay for the foglights. Found a pair from a brand new car that got totalled in the rear, 30euros/each. So I am pretty satisfied.

Although my Skoda will be out on the market, had it for one year and 30.000km now and I need a bigger trunk and a hitch. So I will fill my garahe with an old Camaro and a VW Transporter instead of this one.. had a great time with the car.

On page 144 of my handbook under Headlight Glass it says Caution. It says the headlights are never to be wiped dry. There is a risk of damaging the protective lacquer and the headlight glass subsequently developing cracks. Have never put my car through an automatic car wash but wonder what the long term effect it would have on the headlamps. No mention seems to be made about cleaning the fog light glass I suppose it might be wise to assume it's the same material as the headlights Joe

I believe what the manual means is don't wipe the lights when they are dry. Not don't wipe them dry if they're wet.

As per SC03OTT says. It's ok to wipe the headlights and other light lens to dry them using a damp microfibre cloth after washing. Don't wipe them with a dry cloth if the lenses are dirty and dry. That's all the badly worded sentence in the owners manual means. Obviously that would scratch the lenses and potentially cause crazing to the surface coating. I very much doubt the actual lenses would crack though, never seen that happen without external force being applied. Dippis, good luck with your new rides.