Skoda Fabia 3 2010 Air Con problem.

Looking for some help please.

The air con in my Fabia isn't working. The light on the button comes on but nothing else happens. I took it to QuickFit thinking it probably wanted re-gassing but I'm told gas is fine, it must be electrical.

So - I see I can get a A/C pressure switch for around a tenner. Is there a valve under the pressure switch on these cars or will I lose all my gas when I change the switch?

The pressure switch has three wires - can I jump any of these wires to see if the compressor runs ok? If so which ones?

Any help appreciated thanks.

If the car is 2010 that will be a Fabia II

Do not bridge anything. It's not a regular clutched system and you will damage something.

First job would be to connect diagnostics to see if any fault codes are logged. Then check data blocks for a compressor shut off code to see why the system is inactive. Then I would connect the air con machine and see what the high and low pressure circuits were doing.

• Like 1

Have a look at the compressor pulley when engine is on and AC on, make sure all the bits you can see at the end of it are spinning.

It's a pressure sensor not a switch on these, I believe. I think if that was duff the system wouldn't switch on and stay switched on? 

Ahh! Could well be a Fabia II - My last one was a III. This one says Fabia SE. It's a 1.4 petrol.

I've plugged in my cheap code reader and it shows no faults.

I've no access to an aircon machine but told my gas levels are correct.

Will I lose my gas if I change the pressure switch?

Have a look at the compressor pulley when engine is on and AC on, make sure all the bits you can see at the end of it are spinning.

It's a pressure sensor not a switch on these, I believe. I think if that was duff the system wouldn't switch on and stay switched on? 

All the bits on the compressor are spinning - they appear to spin all the time whether the AC button is on or off.

Your simple code reader will read OBD codes from the engine, it won't read the AC unit.

Also an air con machine gives you a whole load more information that gas levels. Don't confuse gas quantity and pressure, it's not the same thing. You can have 550g of R134a but 3bar in both sides and the AC will do naff all.

Ahh! Could well be a Fabia II - My last one was a III. This one says Fabia SE. It's a 1.4 petrol.

I've plugged in my cheap code reader and it shows no faults.

I've no access to an aircon machine but told my gas levels are correct.

Will I lose my gas if I change the pressure switch?

I believe you won't lose refrigerant by changing the pressure sensor.  

There's  confusion created by Skoda about Fabia models, since they decided to label different trim levels of the mk2 as fabia 1, 2 and 3, especially now that there are also Mk1 (up to 2007), Mk2 (2007-2015), and Mk3 fabias.

Edited by Wino

MK2 1,2 and 3 trim levels were all earlier builds mind, by 2010 they had been phased out I think.

Ok thanks guys. I bought this car second hand with really low mileage, It's a 2010 but the 1.4 16v engine. I guess they found a shed with a few 1.4 engines and produced a few cars. I particularly picked this motor as I have had several others (Ibiza's and Fabia's) with the same engine as driving school cars. I have a spare gearbox, clutch etc. and find they are fairly easy to work on.

This aircon problem has me stumped though. I think for £8 for a pressure switch it's worth a try.

.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1K0959126A-Air-Conditioning-A-C-Pressure-Switch-Thrust-Sensor-for-VW-Golf-Audi-/151826764964?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda%7CModel%3AFabia&hash=item23599494a4:g:b5MAAOSwwo1Xc11e

Worth a punt I guess, but in all my years the only time I've changed a pressure sensor is when they leak.

Let us know how you get on.

Well - I'm pleased to say :). The pressure switch came through from China this morning, much quicker than expected. I fitted it in just a couple of minutes and done. A/C working perfectly.

The switch/sensor cost £12.08. I ordered it on the 21/8/16 it arrived this morning 27/8/16.

.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221524311963?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Fitting was easy - Just remove the three wire connector and unscrew the old switch. There's a Schrader type valve in the switch housing on the pressure side, when I unscrewed the old switch there was just the faintest puff of gas. Refitting the new switch was just as easy, there's an "o" ring seal where the new switch fits so switch only needs to be nipped up.

You can't go wrong when re-connecting the wires, it's a shaped connector and only fits one way.

So - One happy chappy :)

This seems to have become a fairly common problem with Audi A4 B8 models, in that case it seems like the sensor corrodes and falls apart and blows a control fuse. I'd guess in the A4 case, it will be down to how/where that sensor is located - I should check up where it is on my one - just in case! I'm guessing that in the case I'm mentioning, the metal casing rusts and that causes expansion and breaks the plastic end.

My wife's 63 plate Ibiza Toca has the same problem, no air con, switch lights up, full gas in system etc, it's just spent three hours in the hands of a Seat mastertech today, and he couldn't find out what's wrong with it, they want it for three days to strip it down, not good

Might try a pressure sensor myself, but it's still under warranty

OMG is it that simple,,, mines the same can't find nowt wrong yet it wont work ,,i'll give my man who knows (well he don't so far) a ring lol...simple as that damn i knew it lol

OMG is it that simple,,, mines the same can't find nowt wrong yet it wont work ,,i'll give my man who knows (well he don't so far) a ring lol...simple as that damn i knew it lol

Whilst this worked for the OP it doesn't mean every non operating AC is down to the switch.

The OP was lucky, not much in the way of diagnosis but found the fault which is great.

Well the part is quite cheap so no worries,,, if its not whats wrong with my A/C I've nothing to lose except a little gas but it will be something I've done myself and I can tick off whats wrong with my A/C just have to locate it now if someone can help ....I've been told its on the right side of the A/C radiator and to think i just dumped a huge pdf on the Skoda fabia engines ...duh too big for my asus transformer memory  :dull:

Well the part is quite cheap so no worries,,, if its not whats wrong with my A/C I've nothing to lose except a little gas but it will be something I've done myself and I can tick off whats wrong with my A/C just have to locate it now if someone can help ....I've been told its on the right side of the A/C radiator and to think i just dumped a huge pdf on the Skoda fabia engines ...duh too big for my asus transformer memory  :dull:

Possible find it next too the front engine mounting O/S inner wing area