Your mad Ted..

LeadesJohn

hi there,

I'm about to purchase my first Skoda. I'm buying it online and going to have it delivered. I'm not going to see it.

Its a 2013 Skoda Superb elegance greenline II TDI purchased from a dealer and previously owned by Volkswagen Finance.

It looks great, history is good and the dealer seems like a top class professional . I'm having it delivered to Cork in Ireland from London.

Am I Mad? what could go wrong?

Nice to meet ya'll

John

Welcome to the forum.

Owned by Volkswagen Finance but leased to who?

& how many miles, and what servicing has it had?

If it is not perfect do not accept it, many others have had issues with Volkswagen Management / Lease / Fleet vehicles.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/408755-skoda-approved-used-nightmare

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Not sure whom it was leased to, but has stamps from a Skoda dealership in Leeds.

It has 80,000 odd on the clock so I'm assuming motorway miles.

For the money involved I plan on a Skoda service including Cam belt when it arrives.

I'm a family man that does less than 10,000 a year.

What kind of issues with Volkswagen Management / Lease / Fleet vehicles should one expect?

I haven't hit the PAY button yet so i still have time to ask the RIGHT questions?!

I'm sure  this info will me and others..

thanks in advance..

Thanks for your link and that is a real eye opener!!

We have had a good few calls and I've followed up with an email of questions that summarized the call. He has responded perfectly with pictures in some cases.

I have asked twice ( verbal and written ) was the car ever painted ( as opposed to crashed) and i got satisfactory responses I felt.

However, I'll have to consider my options.

Is there anything else worth asking a dealer as a measured question for security of comeback should one be dealing with a lemon?

Hi John, firstly welcome to the forum!  Good to see the Irish membership steadily increasing :)  Is there any way of getting it inspected by somebody you can trust before it leaves the UK?  A huge amount (something like well over 50% at least) of UK imports to Ireland are reckoned to be clocked however at 80K for a 2013 that is probably genuine enough mileage.  I presume its not a former taxi which would be a big one to watch for and can be checked.

Howya! I presumes you paid the little bit of upfront for a full cartell report? In fairness the BIL did with 2 cars which were uk imports he liked - one was clean as a whistle, the other report just seemed to be bit "hmm..."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peeps,

The Car I was interested in slipped away from me as I pondered. Maybe all good things happen to those who wait? It doesn't worry me,

Anyway this gem popped up in my inbox and I've paid a deposit today to view it.

I'd like to See what ye think? http://www.olivergeoghegancarsales.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1583109&r=

Is anyone familiar with the TV attachment on the rear of the front seats? Is that Skoda OEM or aftermarket stuff?

If the link doesn't work its the 2012 Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI ELEGANCE 170 BHP 4X4 on the Oliver Geoghegan car sales website. I'm going to view it on Wednesday and like to hear yer thoughts on this.

regards,

John.

Hi, not really studied the car ad to be fair, it's like all ads the tempter to get viewings, at least with this buying experience you get to eyeball both the car and seller, both of equal importance in my experience, if in any doubt walk away and once you've bought never never carry on looking............

Good luck, as the old saying goes you'll "know" when you view the right car !

• Like 1

Well, I purchased today.

My First Skoda.

I bought the one I posted the advert of in an earlier post. Here's is the link http://www.olivergeoghegancarsales.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1583109&r=

I started my search looking for a 1.6 greenline elegance to avoid high road tax and insurance premiums. I bought a 2.0 TDI 170 4x4... I still can't get rid of the petrol head in me..

I'm happy tho.. I even updated my profile pic to an actual photo from the car.

I will stop looking now and resist viewing more ads, - thanks davidwhite.

Thanks to everyone else for there input and help.

Regards,

John.

Well done and good luck with it!  That's looks a very decent car.  Nice elegance spec with a few extras and the 170 power plant is very nice on the road - coupled with 4x4 and you've got everything you need in a car.  Slightly more peace of mind as well with an Irish car (well you'd hope anyway!).

• Like 1

Hi Freedom,

Thanks and I am in love..

To be honest, it was my first time driving a 4X4 Superb. What a heavy car! And as I came down the motorway home, I found it very loud. I put it down to the 18" wheels, Surface and road noise , engine noise ,plus the driveshaft and rear diff, haldex clutch etc. Stuff I'm not used to. It has a full dealer history from dealer in Dublin..

As i have 6 months warranty, ( i'm not the sort to freeload as I was in the trade moons ago ) , Is it worth a Skoda Health-Check for an opinion? Are these Products ( Health checks) worth their money or would it be better to source an independent Skoda Tech for an opinion in the evening?

Thanks,

John.

Well done and good luck with it!

Hi Freedom,

Thanks and I am in love..

To be honest, it was my first time driving a 4X4 Superb. What a heavy car! And as I came down the motorway home, I found it very loud. I put it down to the 18" wheels, Surface and road noise , engine noise ,plus the driveshaft and rear diff, haldex clutch etc. Stuff I'm not used to. It has a full dealer history from dealer in Dublin..

As i have 6 months warranty, ( i'm not the sort to freeload as I was in the trade moons ago ) , Is it worth a Skoda Health-Check for an opinion? Are these Products ( Health checks) worth their money or would it be better to source an independent Skoda Tech for an opinion in the evening?

Thanks,

John.

The haldex and various other bits and pieces that come with 4x4 do add a bit of weight alright.  On the health-check, I'd always be wary where somebody is both diagnosing and in a position to fix any problems that arise as there is often an opportunity to take advantage however you've been in the trade and you're probably wise to that anyway.  How much do those health checks costs?  I've seen them offered free sometimes.  You could always use the check to diagnose any issues, buy any parts yourself and get a trusted independent to fit.