Roof Mount Amplified DAB

Hi All

After my success of getting my MIB1 Columbus DAB to function using a mag mount plugged straight into the MIB box I am now looking for something tidier. I am going to install a separate amplified DAB antenna at the front above the cabin light.

It needs a 12v power supply. This is not simple. Ideally it would come from the MIB unit and turn on when it turns on. I am not sure how I would tap this. I don't want it on the ignition with my camera as I listen to the radio with the ignition off sometimes. Is there any significant power draw if I used a permanent live supply?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Garnett

Neither Andy

I am going to drill a hole and put an amplified roof mount bee sting on the front above the courtesy light. The difference in reception with a top quality unamplified mag mount plugged straight into the MIB has convinced me that it is worth doing. Anything will look better than the mag mount and lead!

Just need to work out how to get the right power supply to it.

There is an original antenna from VAG with DAB+.

All you have to do is change the antenna on your roof and you will not have to drill another hole in the roof.

Part number 6R0035501D

Ebay has them now and then for around 80 euros.

I fitted one on my sons Roomster (as I upgraded to a RNS 315 with DAB)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/New-Original-Antenne-6R0035501D-Dachantenne-VW-SKODA-Radio-Telefon-GPS-/272328764426?hash=item3f680f2c0a:g:z-sAAOSw8d9Uw46e

Edited by magic62
  • Like 1

Perfect, thanks Magic. I was looking for the proper OEM option, as I'm going to put an RNS315 with DAB in the Fabia :thumbup:

That does look by far and away the best option, and no messing about with drilling or separate power feeds. 

• Like 1

Hi

I need to warn you about that unit. They stopped them for good reason. I have had two. They both lasted less than a rear. The damp gets into them and they fail. On my O2 it got changed by Skoda. They said it was a very common problem. However hard you bolt it down the water still gets under the plastic seal and sits there.

Garnett

What do you mean by "stopped them"? Makes it sounds like there's an updated/re-designed revision for this part that maybe we're not aware of?

I had the non-DAB version of this on the Yeti and had no issues for over 2 years.

There is an original antenna from VAG with DAB+.

All you have to do is change the antenna on your roof and you will not have to drill another hole in the roof.

Part number 6R0035501D

Ebay has them now and then for around 80 euros.

I fitted one on my sons Roomster (as I upgraded to a RNS 315 with DAB)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/New-Original-Antenne-6R0035501D-Dachantenne-VW-SKODA-Radio-Telefon-GPS-/272328764426?hash=item3f680f2c0a:g:z-sAAOSw8d9Uw46e

Unfortunately that won't fit an O3 as the hole in the roof is approximately 26mm square.

Please do your research before recommending something that won't fit.