Main Dealer Servicing costs?

So the Fabia is coming up to the 18,000 mile mark and almost 1yr old so time for a service, rang the supplying dealer and the quote was £269.00!!  rang another Skoda dealer £197, better but I then phoned a dealer about 20 miles away and the cost will be £151.51?

It pays to phone around but what a difference in price, I checked that it was the correct service for my mileage/age and they tell me it is so happy days.

So the Fabia is coming up to the 18,000 mile mark and almost 1yr old so time for a service, rang the supplying dealer and the quote was £269.00!!  rang another Skoda dealer £197, better but I then phoned a dealer about 20 miles away and the cost will be £151.51?

It pays to phone around but what a difference in price, I checked that it was the correct service for my mileage/age and they tell me it is so happy days.

Recently booked mine in for first service on "Fixed" schedule, circa 9000 miles/1 year. Price quoted is £89 and coppers, including video of the work. I was assured that it wasn't just an oil/filter change and kick the tyres, (”No sir, we kick the tyres twice, just to make sure"), so I'm a happy bunny. That sort of response is why I enjoy dealing with my local dealer. Will report back after the event.

• Like 1

I am on yearly service just checked I was charged at main dealers £139 for first service in April which cost £73.42 (time) + parts Oil filter £6.01 Seal £2.35 Drain Plug £2.45 and Oil says Each x 4 @ £7.9 (presume per litre Platinum 5W40 ) £31.60 and £23.17 vat

Also got a signed check list, remaining tyre tread depth 6mm front 7mm rear. Diagnostic check no problems No outstanding recalls + road test Joe

Interesting that alltorque was offered a video of the work that was carried out. Wonder what price the supermarkets charge for Platinum 5W40  

Edited by JoePeddos

!st Service on fixed at Prestons Chelmsford £ 87  

Thanks for this heads up got both of my cars booked in for a few weeks time, Excellent service so far and they smashed the local prices of my dealer ok its a 60 mile round trip but I will still save nearly £70 on one of the cars alone :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for this heads up got both of my cars booked in for a few weeks time, Excellent service so far and they smashed the local prices of my dealer ok its a 60 mile round trip but I will still save nearly £70 on one of the cars alone :)

Pleased to be of help. Skoda must be losing out with so few agents around. I think we have every main agent in Chelmsford except Skoda. Have used Prestons twice now and always very courteous and helpful.  

• Like 1

I am on yearly service just checked I was charged at main dealers £139 for first service in April which cost £73.42 (time) + parts Oil filter £6.01 Seal £2.35 Drain Plug £2.45 and Oil says Each x 4 @ £7.9 (presume per litre Platinum 5W40 ) £31.60 and £23.17 vat

Also got a signed check list, remaining tyre tread depth 6mm front 7mm rear. Diagnostic check no problems No outstanding recalls + road test Joe

Interesting that alltorque was offered a video of the work that was carried out. Wonder what price the supermarkets charge for Platinum 5W40

First year service, (9k miles), carried out at local Skoda dealer this morning. Total cost, parts & labour was £89.11, incl being given approx 0.75 litre of unused screenwash concentrate. Video of Health Check done and received on my iPad before I even had the car back....just drinking my second, excellent and free, coffee, (work done whilst I waited). Was offered take-away 1 litre bottle of engine oil at £12 but declined as have correct oil at home, already.  Oh, and car was washed and vacuumed.

Whole process as slick as I am used to from my dealer. Happy bunny.

Edited by alltorque
  • Like 1

First year service, (9k miles), carried out at local Skoda dealer this morning. Total cost, parts & labour was £89.11, incl being given approx 0.75 litre of unused screenwash concentrate. Video of Health Check done and received on my iPad before I even had the car back....just drinking my second, excellent and free, coffee, (work done whilst I waited). Was offered take-away 1 litre bottle of engine oil at £12 but declined as have correct oil at home, already.  Oh, and car was washed and vacuumed.

Whole process as slick as I am used to from my dealer. Happy bunny.

Hi alltorque will definitely ring around for the next service,to be fair they did collect and return the car to my home. If I have no problems with the car the next service will be in April 2017 Will definitely ask for the video next time as its a big service. Joe

Pleased to be of help. Skoda must be losing out with so few agents around. I think we have every main agent in Chelmsford except Skoda. Have used Prestons twice now and always very courteous and helpful.  

Both cars all done, Very happy with the service and the price looks like I know where I am taking the cars in the future.

Both cars all done, Very happy with the service and the price looks like I know where I am taking the cars in the future.

Next time if you've got to wait around at Prestons give me a call and I can pick you up for a coffee will msg you with my mobile  I am retired so often free. 

• Like 1

make sure they are using the long life oil (which is more expensive) and you tell them it is on variable service and you want to keep it on that, daughters car has been in for two services and both times dealer has swapped it back onto time / distance instead of variable service and she has had to take it back

• Like 1

i was interested reading some of the above comments about your service charges, i bought my fabia new from a well known dealership in derby as opposed to my previous purchases in chesterfield (i have the serious hump with the chesterfield dealer) thats why i went to derby and i was really happy with the whole process, my questions and concerns where all answered to my satisfaction, i asked about a service plan,to which they produced a 31 month plan, which came to a total of £669 !!! but they did say its like a savings plan and i can transfer it to another car at a later time Mmm i thought as i got my fingers truly burnt with my octavia i will give this a miss, after all i can put £10 a month in the tea caddy instead of their bank and looking at the figures you guys have come up with i am glad i did. so the moral is to my story as a lot have you say,is to shop around   

Free Servicing is lovely if fixed and done at 10,000 miles as Minor & Major and at the major the pollen filter is changed and the air filter and it is a full service 

for inspection & maintenance.

If it is 'Changed where required' or such words and just 2 Oil & Filter changes and a top up fluids and look see then you paid for the Services somehow when you got them Free while paying for the car.

No such thing as a Free Lunch, just free coffee , and then drinks & snacks & colouring sheets / balloons at 'Open Days'.

I got two free services when i bought my car so two fingers up to the lot of you  :x  :D

Agree with GonOffski  Nothing is free. A service is only valid if everything required by the manufacturer is complied with and in the interest of vehicle long livety may be considered a minimum requirement. Few buyers seem to care much about future reliability and just trade in after three years which suits manufacturers and dealers just fine. 

Well they've given me 2 services, they know its a brand new car so they will know exactly what the 2 first services would consist of surely. I'm paying for the car plus climate control minus my deposit+contribution that's it.

My dads owns a vehicle leasing company so I am certainly not naive when it comes to how dealers and unscrupulous leasing companies work.

If by 'they' you mean the Skoda Dealership employees, then yes they should know and you should also have been given what the Service Plan Includes at the 2 Services.

Mileage covered annually makes all the difference.

But fixed servicing does not mean parts are replaced if it says 'if required', because that is dependent on the opinion of someone looking at an airfilter for instance, 

if they look.

For £17 you might think they would replace as a matter of course, but then that is not what is written or understood by the employees.

Free servicing of a leased car going back at end of leases is rather different to many from 'Free' where someone actually buys a car and maybe wants a keeper after the Manufacturers Warranty expires.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Next time if you've got to wait around at Prestons give me a call and I can pick you up for a coffee will msg you with my mobile  I am retired so often free. 

Many thanks for that kind offer :) I will do.