Roomster Electric Window Issue

gibby

About 3 years ago my roomster windows started to play up. Thankfully it was still under warranty and the dealer rewired it & it been fine until a few months ago.
I was told its a common fault with VW.

So recently the problem was the windows would open and then not close, or it would close in very small increments.

I went through a toll road and th drivers window opened and then got stuck, until I thumped the drivers window control panel and its worked fine for a few weeks, until yesterday.

Now only the drivers window works perfectly but non of the others will function at all, from any window switch. I have tried a compressed air cleaner with no joy and looking at the woring as best I can it all looks fine.

I am thinking of taking gamble on a new drivers window control unit but thought I would ask here first incase there is another answer.

There a common issue of wires breaking in the door hinge. If you press down (not too hard) in the top middle of the door black wire cover gaitor then that gaitor will come away from the car body at the top. Once off at the top the bottom side just lifts off.

It is worth pushing back the gaitor and checking for broken wires. They can break towards the door.

Worth a look before you start buying new switches.

Do the windows go up and down fine by putting the key in the drivers door and holding the key a little while each way ?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the windows on my 57 reg Scout suddenly stopped working recently.  Non of the 3 switches will trigger a window to open but I tried the trick with the key in the door lock and they work just fine ie both windows go up and down, depending on the direction the key is turned.   So what can I glean from this test other than the motors are working ok?

In my case the rear passenger window was not working (LHD) either from my switch or back door's switch, while it was working with the key in the lock as above. Then I pulled my (driver's) switch panel and pushed cables against the switch panel. It was a loose connection and since then everything is fine.

ChrisC_2. You have exactly the same symptoms that I had. As said check for broken wires in that door gaitor. I had to put a new drivers door loom on my Roomster. I had about 5 broken wires in there. The replacement loom was about £80.