Right Tail Light On

Bit of an odd one. Noticed that my right lower rear bulb (brake or tail?) is on constantly. Goes off when locking or unlocking car then comes back on about 20 seconds later. Anyone experienced similar?

Yes, but only when I had left the parking light on (indicator stalk to the right). See if the front parking light is on at the same time. Perhaps it is caused by a faulty indicator switch?

Ok, the brightness is the same as the the left fog when I turn on rear fog lights. Anybody got any idea which colour wire this is in the loom or where it may be worth looking for a break in the wire?

I've also tried switching the top and bottom bulbs round as they appear to be the same.  I'll take the other side out and check it's right but I haven't changed bulbs recently.  They are both 21w/4w same as silvers picture above.

Seems a strange issue for sure...

Might be worth adding the car to your profile so we can see the age etc. I assume it's the 2006 vRS from VRSerious?

Probably worth getting a VCDS autoscan done to see if that shows any problems. If the wiring or bulbs were at fault, I'd expect some kind of a warning or fault code to show up.

Sounds like the car has been tweaked. The pre-FL MkII Octavia in the UK only had one rear fog light activated, the offside or drivers side.

You mentioned when you turned on the rear fog lights the nearside (passenger side) turned on?

This would suggest someone has already had the car hooked up to VCDS and activated twin rear fogs. If they have messed around with byte 18 then anything could be possible!

Edited by silver1011

I'd imagine it has had both rear fogs activated but this would have been done years ago so can't see that this would suddenly have gone wrong.  The boot is bone dry.  I have taken off the trim between the two light clusters and prodded at all the wires trying to replicate the issue.  Currently the light will go on for a bit and off for a bit at random intervals as though a wire is just barely touching another and doesn't seem to be directly related to any other light being on.  I will try to find the multiplug next and see what condition that is in.