Rust appearing

Rather disappointed to see rust marks appearing on the wheel hubs behind alloy wheels. Told it the metal dust off the disc brakes. Doesn't look good on a L&K Superb less than year old. Also going back to dealer for second replacement of light console in roof as it falls down from the trim when door closes or headlining touched.

Rust on the hubs is perfectly normal, we've had many people make the same comments over the years as it is what you get when you mix water with cast iron.

You could remove the wheel, wire brush the hub and paint them with heat resistant hammerite, but the rust will return after a while.

• Like 2

Rather disappointed to see rust marks appearing on the wheel hubs behind alloy wheels. Told it the metal dust off the disc brakes. Doesn't look good on a L&K Superb less than year old. Also going back to dealer for second replacement of light console in roof as it falls down from the trim when door closes or headlining touched.

I made the same comment to the dealer about rust appearing on the wheel hubs - he said that part is actually part of the brake disc and that it is common to a lot of makes of cars - including amongst others "high end" BMW's which he used to sell. About a week later I parked beside a 2016 BMW X5 and I saw signs of rust starting to appear on it's "hubs" too ............. so I guess he was right?! Still annoying though!

• Like 1

Hammerite is your friend

My BMW hubs (car hopefully replaced by an L&K soon) started rusting at 6 months old and not wishing to lose the car for 2+days + distance to dealer I did a temporary containment job with silver Hammerite applied (aka slapped on) with no preparation using an artist's brush poked between the spokes of the wheels. I had to advance the car 1/3 of a wheel turn twice and also touched up some rust appearing on the black cast steel calipers with black heat resistant paint.  Took less than an hour and  2 years later the temporary fix is rust free and still (unless you know where and what to look for) invisible!!!!

I also used a worn out original Subaru brake disc as a gate stop for at least 3 years. The disc went rusty but the original black painted hubs stayed immaculate. I've looked at some nearly new Merc E Class cars and rust was showing on their hubs. Some paint lessons to be learnt by the German auto giants?

My BMW hubs (car hopefully replaced by an L&K soon) started rusting at 6 months old and not wishing to lose the car for 2+days + distance to dealer I did a temporary containment job with silver Hammerite applied (aka slapped on) with no preparation using an artist's brush poked between the spokes of the wheels. I had to advance the car 1/3 of a wheel turn twice and also touched up some rust appearing on the black cast steel calipers with black heat resistant paint.  Took less than an hour and  2 years later the temporary fix is rust free and still (unless you know where and what to look for) invisible!!!!

I also used a worn out original Subaru brake disc as a gate stop for at least 3 years. The disc went rusty but the original black painted hubs stayed immaculate. I've looked at some nearly new Merc E Class cars and rust was showing on their hubs. Some paint lessons to be learnt by the German auto giants?

I've never even bothered with heat resistant paint, never had any issues with paint coming off. That hammerite is good stuff