Which DSG is in the Scout 184? (MY16)

Jono

I see different reports suggesting it has the DQ250 that is rated at either 350Nm, 380Nm or 450Nm depending on where I look.

Does anyone know for certain. Also, are they all identical, just with a different number slapped on them? or do they vary in design/hydraulics etc.

I'm exploring performance enhancing options and if the DSG will either 1) Die, or 2) apply it's own torque limit, then that complicates things,

Ta

It's not a DQ380 as that's one of the newer 7 speed wet clutch boxes unfortunately non of which are to be found in a Skoda yet.

It's a DQ250 which actually has a 400nm torque limit I believe.

See! There is so much confusion!

Does anyone know a definite answer?

Is it the same box allegedly used on the S3 rated at 450Nm?? that would be very interesting to know.

Does it have 6 gears? If so then it's a DQ250 as all the other boxes are 7 speed.

And the torque limit for the DQ250 is 400nm.

Edited by Phil-E

See! There is so much confusion!

Does anyone know a definite answer?

Is it the same box allegedly used on the S3 rated at 450Nm?? that would be very interesting to know.

The problem is there will be very few people who know the inner programming of the DSG system. I certainly don't. Even dealers have no knowledge of this and probably no need of it either.

The limit is purely a software limit set in the TCU/TCM (transmission control unit/module) and is car and model specific.

There is a variant (sometimes 3) of the DQ250 0D9  fitted to the MK3 Octy, for each engine and final drive combination. That may be where some differences in limits lie.

You need to think of it less as a single limit more of a map. It may have a limit only in certain gears, or conditions. It is a fairly complicated combination of parameters unique to each engine/drivetrain combination

If your ECU remap can bypass the TCU imposed limits you are going to be further from the original assumptions of the map and that may (or may not) mess things up like shift points or clutch pressure. I guess that is only found out by trial and error but anecdotally the DQ250 seems to do better than others when pushed.

The people who did the ECU programming should know what they did with the TCU torque limit signal. If the TCU software limit is bypassed and the car still shifts OK, then I guess your next limit is clutch slip like any manual type gearbox

The DQ250 is a pretty strong box, again anecdotally people run the "350 limit" boxes at 400nm-500nm without too much in the way of slippage. Above that I believe uprated clutch packs are needed as it runs out of physical clamping force. 

It will be the same basic gearbox on all but to be certain of what tweaks they have done you would need to compare part numbers for clutches etc and see the programming for clutch pressures and clamping force etc. They may also be upping the torque limit a bit and accept a few extra statistical % failure.