Auto dimming rear mirror -retrofit options?

Hi 

Is it possible to retrofit auto dimming mirror to car with standard mirror? 

Car has rain sensor already and so assume a power source is already there and possibly just a switch over of units with auto dimming feature activated?

Reason is I took delivery of new RS car and whilst ordered Auto dimming the car only has folding mirrors but non auto dimming rear mirror :-(

I want to check here whilst also asking dealer of possible retrofit. 

Thanks

You'll need to buy some stuff (mirror, proper connectors,...) and do some wiring, but not that hard if you're a bit of "technical" guy. Follow my guide on a link that @Gromle already posted.

Edited by milanj

See attached picture of my new car mirror.

Has the design changed for auto dimming mirrors as this is different to my previous RS MY15 auto dimming mirror which had button on/off on bottom and sensors to front and rear?.

Can anyone confirm this is the new auto dimming mirror. Only have the car 2 days and so not got chance to check at night but did place hand on rear sensor to check if mirror dimmed but no luck. If this is not the auto dimming mirror then what is this rear sensor?

Thanks 

post-125635-0-05976300-1472738828_thumb.jpg

post-125635-0-63674900-1472738843_thumb.jpg

Yuh it's not very effective - I had one on my previous octy only because it came as standard on the model/spec I chose (mk2 SE+) - but I would rather have a manual dimmer and the cash back. 

Personally I would do the opposite, replace my auto-dim with a manual dim. The auto-dim gets it wrong so often and there is no manual override

But that's it I was able to turn previous one on off by button but I found it work well.

Question is if I actually have auto dimming with new car or is this the standard mirror with some sensor on rear for something else?

Perhaps they are using the same casing for the standard and auto dim mirror to save some costs?

There would also be a sensor on the front of the mirror if it is the auto one.

The rear (forward facing) sensor detects if it's dark or not and the front (rear facing) sensor detects light behind you.

I was very surprised to learn that my Saab already had the connector for an auto dimming mirror so I bought one off ebay for £20 and fitted it within 5 mins! Obviously not like VAG who don't included 1mm of extra wiring or connectors for things not fitted to the car originally!

Could that sensor be for high beam assist?

You can remove the upper part of plastic cover behind the mirror (the one that connects mirror holder with headlining). You will see if you have two connectors beneath, one is for rain-light sensor and other is for the mirror. If it's only one, then it's for rain-light sensor and mirror is just dummy...

Edited by milanj