220 or 280?

I've just got my 6 month old 280. Previous car was a Subaru Legacy Spec B (3.0). That had permanent AWD and had great grip and stability. Downside was fairly harsh suspension over bumpy urban roads. And poor fuel economy regardless of how you drove it (nearly impossible to get anything over 30mpg). Once you have had AWD you really don't want to go back. Every time I drive another FWD car in the wet, I always spin wheels moving off at roundabouts etc. Really annoying!

I've only had it 5 days but very pleased so far. Effortless to drive fast with the DSG, suspension is not as harsh as the Subaru even in Sport mode. I'd say that the ultimate handling is not quite as good as the Subaru but the extra comfort for everyday driving makes it a price worth paying.  I don't know if the DCC is standard on the 220 but I'd certainly want it - in normal mode the suspension is fairly soft and a bit wallowy.

Anyway the 280 can hurtle off from a standstill. Personally I'd want the MF steering wheel with paddles  because when you want to overtake something you really want to get it into the right gear first, rather than just flooring it since with the latter there is a noticeable delay whilst it gathers it's skirts and changes down 3 gears. Of course you can do that with the floor selector but it is easier with the paddles.

Finally my observation is that the throttle takes a  bit of getting used to. Acceleration is pretty gentle for the first 1/2 of the travel and then the transition to "**** off shovel" mode occurs over a fairly short travel so it is not that easy to accelerate briskly without the DSG taking it up to the red line (even in normal mode). In other words it's a bit "all or nothing". No doubt I'll get used to it.

Finally my observation is that the throttle takes a  bit of getting used to. Acceleration is pretty gentle for the first 1/2 of the travel and then the transition to "**** off shovel" mode occurs over a fairly short travel so it is not that easy to accelerate briskly without the DSG taking it up to the red line (even in normal mode). In other words it's a bit "all or nothing". No doubt I'll get used to it.

My best investment thus far for my 280 is the ResponseControl from RaceChip. It transforms the "sluggish" default throttle to the level of response you'd prefer.

Putting the car in Sport mode and ResponseControl in Sport Plus II and you've got a beast at your fingertips. It's just insane :giggle:

My best investment thus far for my 280 is the ResponseControl from RaceChip. It transforms the "sluggish" default throttle to the level of response you'd prefer.

Putting the car in Sport mode and ResponseControl in Sport Plus II and you've got a beast at your fingertips. It's just insane :giggle:

Thanks, that seems definitely worth looking into. Not this month though, I'm skint!

+1

No 280 should be without one!

Unfortunately mine was generating intermittent ESC errors and has been returned for testing/replacement.

It's not just about RPM/gearing, but about efficiency at the revs. My 220 sits around - roughly - 1,800rpm at 70mph and a hair over 2,000rpm at 80mph. The 280 will be higher, but in the real world there's not a huge amount in their economy if you try. In the 220 though, you don't really have to try. Really though, get the 280 (says the 220 owner). 

The 280 has much lower gearing than the 220, 80 mph = 3k rpm in 6th,same as the Golf R.

The 220 gearing is similar to the current Octy vRS ( & my VW EOS), where 5th is higher geared than 6th than the 280.

it is more relaxed at high speed, but blunts the performance a bit at UK speed limits. My Superb can out-drag my EOS,& they've both been remapped to 250 ps.

(No, I don't own a Superb 3 yet, but I've had quite a few test drives before we / she decided that a Golf R was what we needed.......)

HTH, DC

• Like 2

Again, thanks to all who've replied - there's been a good amount of information and experience shared.

Assuming everything goes to plan my order for a 280 estate should be placed tomorrow and then I'll get to join the Skoda build week lottery.  Fingers crossed for this side of Christmas but I'm not holding my breath...

• Like 2

Again, thanks to all who've replied - there's been a good amount of information and experience shared.

Assuming everything goes to plan my order for a 280 estate should be placed tomorrow and then I'll get to join the Skoda build week lottery.  Fingers crossed for this side of Christmas but I'm not holding my breath...

It'll be worth it mate, you're ordering a 'proper' one... ;)

It might have better residuals if you waited for a January registration date.

We bought a car of the showroom floor at Xmas back in the 80's & the salesman strongly suggested that we take delivery in the new year. 

No extra costs for us, & a better price when we sold it.

DC

It might have better residuals if you waited for a January registration date.

We bought a car of the showroom floor at Xmas back in the 80's & the salesman strongly suggested that we take delivery in the new year. 

No extra costs for us, & a better price when we sold it.

DC

The order was placed yesterday but I don't know exactly when I'll get it yet.  Given the length of time I keep cars, and their mileage by the time I move on, I'm not too fussed about residuals as their value has dropped so much anyway.  If I changed cars every 2-3 years then I can see how this could make a difference.

What was important to me was to get the order in so I can then forget all about it instead of spending every night changing my mind on engine/colour/options etc.  :D

The order was placed yesterday but I don't know exactly when I'll get it yet.  Given the length of time I keep cars, and their mileage by the time I move on, I'm not too fussed about residuals as their value has dropped so much anyway.  If I changed cars every 2-3 years then I can see how this could make a difference.

What was important to me was to get the order in so I can then forget all about it instead of spending every night changing my mind on engine/colour/options etc.  :D

Fairy 'nuff.

Back then we were changing cars quite frequently, & since we'ed bought an identical (used) car for SWMO, but registered Dec. '82 as well as our Jan. '83, we offered either car as a trade-in against a new car in '86.  

(Identical as in same model / trim level & VIN numbers 28 cars apart, so built on the same day in '82!)

Not surprisingly, we were offered £600 less for the '82, which, bearing in mind that the new car was going to cost app. £5k, was a significant difference.

I can understand that you just wanted to get the ordering process completed, it's a PITA sometimes.

Enjoy your new wheels whenever it arrives.

DC