Yorkshiremen only please......

Totally irrelevant to the thread I know but I am wondering whether any of the Yorkshiremen (or Women) on here know of any nice scenic routes close to Pickering with plenty of stopping points for photos etc?

Will be staying in the area for a couple of nights next week.

Thank you

Although my profile shows West Sussex I am originally from North Yorkshire so to be fair almost anywhere in the Pickering area is going to be picturesque. Ensure you head over towards Whitby on the A169 - you could even stop off at goathland if you are a heartbeat fan.

Beware of Devils elbow on the wheeldale road ;)

You can go on the legendary B1257 from Helmsley to stokesley (heralded as the 'Yorkshire tt' ) if you want a real drivers road. Helmsley is also a nice stop off in the market square.

Agree on the Helmsley route

B1257 – Helmsley to Stokesley

geograph-2690569-by-JThomas-300x192.jpg

The A19 may be the quickest way to head north, but it isn’t the most enjoyable. This 20-mile stretch of the B1257 runs through moorland and woodland, taking in the villages of Chop Gate and Great Broughton.

The views are fantastic, as is the driving. The road is undulating, with some steep sections, and plenty of sweeping corners to make the most of your Porsche’s handling.

Totally irrelevant to the thread I know but I am wondering whether any of the Yorkshiremen (or Women) on here know of any nice scenic routes close to Pickering with plenty of stopping points for photos etc?

Will be staying in the area for a couple of nights next week.

Thank you

no doubt mike Holroyd will come on with a knowledgeable reply, he drives the service and tour buses in that area

• Like 1

From Pickering follow the A170 towards Helmsley take the road on the right signposted Rosedale Abbey, via Wrelton retrace the route back but turn left to Egton Bridge follow the road on the the moors for some stunning scenic views, plenty of lay-bys for stops and picnic. Some points of interest, Ryedale folk museum at Hutton Le Hole, Eden Camp, old POW camp near Malton got an excellent navi style restaurant, Beck Isle museum in Pickering and Pickering steam railway.

Enjoy you stay.

Edited by davidwhite

Agree on the Helmsley route

B1257 – Helmsley to Stokesley

geograph-2690569-by-JThomas-300x192.jpg

The A19 may be the quickest way to head north, but it isn’t the most enjoyable. This 20-mile stretch of the B1257 runs through moorland and woodland, taking in the villages of Chop Gate and Great Broughton.

The views are fantastic, as is the driving. The road is undulating, with some steep sections, and plenty of sweeping corners to make the most of your Porsche’s handling.

Thank you for that.....Porsche!!!!.....Austin A40...

• Like 1

From Pickering follow the A170 towards Helmsley take the road on the right signposted Rosedale Abbey, via Wrelton retrace the route back but turn left to Egton Bridge follow the road on the the moors for some stunning scenic views, plenty of lay-bys for stops and picnic. Some points of interest, Ryedale folk museum at Hutton Le Hole, Eden Camp, old POW camp near Malton got an excellent navi style restaurant, Beck Isle museum in Pickering and Pickering steam railway.

Enjoy you stay.

Thank you very much for that.

I live in Whitby and drive the Pickering road a few times a week. You can't go far wrong - Hole of Horcum is a scenic stop on the way through and the road is decent if busy at peak times. Lots of nice hills and twists. Go from Whitby out on the Scarborough road and look back through Dalby Forest to take you into Thornton-le-dale. Lovely.

Edited by Kungfugerbil

Just a warning, a lot of the roads are lovely and swooping and great to drive along -- and infested with non-obvious mobile scameras...

https://northyorkshire.police.uk/what-we-do/road-policing/safety-cameras/

Got my first speeding ticket ever (in more than 30 years) there a few weeks ago having had the Superb for precisely one day :-(

Luckily it was just inside the "speed awareness course" range (75 on a 60 road) so shouldn't get points, but damned annoying. I blame the car (TSI 220) for being quieter than the E300 I had before so I was going faster than I realised -- but in the end that's my fault, it's a fair cop, you got me bang to rights etc. etc.