retrofit hill hold?

Has anyone enabled hill hold on a manual gearbox model after the car has been delivered?

initially I thought it could be done via VCDS but I've noticed that there seems to be a physical button required for it too?

Edited by LakesPuma

There is no physical button for hill hold. There are buttons for the electronic handbrake and auto hold.

I thought all MK3 Superb models had hill hold as standard - or as Skoda call it Hill Start Assist (HHC).

Taken from the owners manual page 145:

Hill Start Assist (HHC)

Read and observe on page 144 first.

When driving on slopes, HHC allows you to move your foot from the brake pedal

to the accelerator pedal without the vehicle rolling downhill on its own.

The system holds the brake pressure produced by the activation of the brake

pedal for approx. 2 seconds after the brake pedal is released.

The HHC is active from a 5% slope if the driver's door is closed. HHC is only ever

active on slopes when in forward or reverse start off.

Also have a read of this http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/380504-hill-holdauto-hold/

I've just configured on the Skoda UK website both a DSG and manual SE Technology models and upon checking the vehicle configuration at the end it shows Hill Start Assist as standard on both gearbox types - although the website has been known to be incorrect.

cnc linked to my thread, all I can say is that on my manual the auto hold (standard) does exactly what I want, it holds the car as my foot transitions from the brake to the accelerator on a hill start.

I still don't understand what the £100 option of hill hold would add! Would love to be enlightened!

Edited by dan123
  • Like 1

The auto hold (standard) does exactly what I want, it holds the car as my foot transitions from the brake to the accelerator on a hill start.

I still don't understand what the £100 option of hill hold would add! Would love to be enlightened!

The standard hill hold is very useful for hill starts etc. The Autohold is the same as hill hold but with a 3 minute limit. It auto applies the handbrake if you haven't pulled off in that instance.

Autohold is excellent for preventing those rare occasions where the car starts to roll fwd or backwards slowly enough that you barely notice. You pull up to the traffic lights on a slight hill and come to a stop. You press a tiny bit harder on the brake (sometimes you don't have to) and Autohold holds the brake on for you.

You can remove your foot and relax waiting for the lights to change, safe in the knowledge that your car shouldn't roll.... mine has twice, but at glacial speed and I reckon it can be explained so am not bothered by it. Autohold holds the brake pressure at the pressure you were applying when you stop. If that was just a mite too gentle, the brakes are held on but not hard enough to completely eliminate some movement. A quick tap on pedal and you stop dead tho so no biggy.

The difference between autohold and the electronic handbrake is that the brakes are held on by the brake hydraulics, (probably via the ABS module) rather than the manual handbrake motor.

When you apply the handbrake you can hear the brake motor whirring to apply the brakes on the rear axle. That motor will have a been engineered to last more than XXXX applications prior to failing (useable working life limit), so instead of using it everytime you stop (thus shortening it's life span), by using a simple valve in the ABS module instead, the pressure is maintained in the brake system (at the intensity you applied it) automatically when Autohold engages.

This prevents you accidently rolling back into the car behind on an imperceptible incline. Genius and incredibly useful. You can judge your brake application when coming to a top so Autohold does not engage. This behaves exactly as expected and your car is able to roll fwd or backwards as you pls. By pressing the designated button, you can turn the system on /off as it can become intrusive during tight manoeuvres, or when reversing with a trailer etc.

It is one of the most useful £100 I've ever spent if you ask me. Not necessary with a manual handbrake, but with an electronic one it is a parts saver if ever there was one!

Edited by blahde2

. Not necessary with a manual handbrake, but with an electronic one it is a parts saver if ever there was one!

Very useful with a manual handbrake - obviously you don't need to use the handbrake, especially on a hill, gives you a few seconds to get going with out rolling backwards.