Mechanical key for opening the door

Hi all

I'm planning on getting a mechanical key cut (i.e. without the chip, or remote functions) just to unlock the car door on my 2014 1.4 Octavia estate. This is so that I can lock the proper key in the car, and take the mechanical one with me into the sea without risk of getting it wet and damaging any electronics. Then I can unlock the car using it, retrieve the proper key and use that to start the engine etc.

I just wanted to check that there weren't any unforeseen problems with this approach - perhaps the door locks also check the key for chip?

Many thanks

Jim

I doubt the car allows itself to be locked without the chip on the key and, at least with kessy, it is impossible to lock the car with the key inside.

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just get an hermetic small pouch for the original keyfob?

I doubt the car allows itself to be locked without the chip on the key and, at least with kessy, it is impossible to lock the car with the key inside.

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just get an hermetic small pouch for the original keyfob?

I'd assumed that I would be able to mechanically lock the door - maybe this isn't the case, I'll need to check! I don't have kessy.

It would be easier to put the key into a waterproof pouch, it's just that having read the reviews, I'm not sure how much I trust the sealed pouches, and I don't really want to get stranded if the seal fails and the key gets wet!

other than the alarm sounding it should work.  Not sure repeatable taking the cover off the lock will do to it through, you may find it becomes loose over time and won't stay on....

I don't want the alarm sounding! I'd assumed that the mechanical unlocking would disable the alarm - I'll need to check this. As to taking the cover on and off, I probably won't be doing it too often, but will have a try and see how flimsy it is in the first case.

Thanks for your thoughts - very useful as you've already hit on two things I need to check.

I'd be tempted to lock the spare key in the car and use a waterproof case for the key you normally use.

If the waterproof case were to leak and damage the electronics, the blade would still allow access to the car. You can then use the spare key to drive home and source a replacement for the damaged one.

I'd be tempted to lock the spare key in the car and use a waterproof case for the key you normally use.

If the waterproof case were to leak and damage the electronics, the blade would still allow access to the car. You can then use the spare key to drive home and source a replacement for the damaged one.

Yes it's looking like this is probably the (more expensive than I'd hoped) way forward! I think I probably just need a complete electronic spare key with remote made up and keep the original in the car. As you say, at least then if it gets wet, I can still get in the car and I won't have ruined one of the original keys.

Yes it's looking like this is probably the (more expensive than I'd hoped) way forward! I think I probably just need a complete electronic spare key with remote made up and keep the original in the car. As you say, at least then if it gets wet, I can still get in the car and I won't have ruined one of the original keys.

The car comes with 2 keys, one is a spare....

I believe that VCDS should be able to pair a used remote fob to the car, allowing it to lock/unlock it remotely. It won't be able to reprogram the immobilizer but that's not important as you don't need it to start the car with it.

Then you can:

- grab a cheap used fob like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371664945060

- reprogram the car to accept all three remote fobs, the two original keys and the used one

- get a new key blade cut for the used key http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142046495907

This means you should be able to use the car alarm as normal. If the sea damages the remote electronics, you can use the key blade to enter the vehicle to access the original key.

It's much cheaper then a new key as it's ~£35 plus a few beer tokens for some VCDS time.

Ikea do waterproof food bags with a double ziplock. i am 99% sure thatw key in 1, double ziplock, then put into  a 2nd double ziplock, would be far cheaper than buying a new key.

Suggestions here so far are correct that Kessy will not allow you to lock the key in the car,  SWMBO accidentally tried leaving her key in the boot in her bag.

A question though, if you don't have kessy does the doorlock  still have the cover over the keyhole on the 2014 model?

I believe that VCDS should be able to pair a used remote fob to the car, allowing it to lock/unlock it remotely. It won't be able to reprogram the immobilizer but that's not important as you don't need it to start the car with it.

Then you can:

- grab a cheap used fob like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371664945060

- reprogram the car to accept all three remote fobs, the two original keys and the used one

- get a new key blade cut for the used key http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142046495907

This means you should be able to use the car alarm as normal. If the sea damages the remote electronics, you can use the key blade to enter the vehicle to access the original key.

It's much cheaper then a new key as it's ~£35 plus a few beer tokens for some VCDS time.

Thanks for all the info - very helpful indeed.

I've had one of these for years. Never had the slightest leakage. The only thing to be careful of is that you dry the pack before opening it and removing your key etc. in case sea water gets on to the key as you take it out. https://www.totalaccessonline.co.uk/Products/Accessories-and-Bags/Waterproof-Cases/Aquapac-Waterproof-Keymaster-Card-Asthma-Pump-Case?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjem-BRC_isGJlJ-0h-MBEiQAbCimWBvRTzDoW1Ti1n152L0DsUF3oNVcUvjW5PVuLG4eAuAaAg1o8P8HAQ

I've had one of these for years. Never had the slightest leakage. The only thing to be careful of is that you dry the pack before opening it and removing your key etc. in case sea water gets on to the key as you take it out. https://www.totalaccessonline.co.uk/Products/Accessories-and-Bags/Waterproof-Cases/Aquapac-Waterproof-Keymaster-Card-Asthma-Pump-Case?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjem-BRC_isGJlJ-0h-MBEiQAbCimWBvRTzDoW1Ti1n152L0DsUF3oNVcUvjW5PVuLG4eAuAaAg1o8P8HAQ

I have one of those, but the odd bad review of when a crack appeared and the contents got wet, scares me! I don't really want to be completely stranded, hence the original idea of the mechanical key!

Seriously - is this progress ? or just being shafted by car manufacturers making their products unnecessarily complex to the extent that anything diy becomes impossible or prohibitivly expensive , where cars are now becoming like white goods - cheaper to throw away than get repaired. How does this square with the VW emissions row and saving the environment? . Big business - big con in my opinion. I'm looking for an old Landrover !!

I do open water swimming and I have been using the Aquapac keymaster for 3 years without any problems. 

I also have one of these http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/safer-swimmer-review.html

I can't see how it could be too expensive to get a new key cut without the immobilizer chip, then again I have been very wrong in the past. There is someone on the bay of e called telecommann who claims to be able to cut a new non transponder key for £12. If it is anything like my Yeti then if you use the key to unlock then you have 15 seconds or thereabouts to put the normal key in the ignition and turn it on before the alarm will sound.

Ian

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-FORD-PORSCHE-SEAT-SKODA-VW-SURF-KEY-BLANK-CUT-TO-CODE-NUMBER-PHOTOGRAPH-/371736816067

I just use something like this:

https://www.lockout-lock.com/masterlock-5400eurd-select-access-key-lock-box

That way I don't have a key to misplace while I am away from the car.  On my mk2, I just threaded a motorbike (fabric covered) chain though one of my rear alloys.

Back in the day (1991 IIRC), my new Ford Orion came with three keys.  A red "master" key that you could program other keys via the stereo system, an everyday key with a battery in and push button functionality to unlock/lock the car and open the boot and a third key.

The third key was a T shape and was specifically designed for unlocking/locking the car only.  There was no battery, you couldn't do anything else with it and it was idea for exactly the reason the OP mentions (i.e, you could lock your keys in the car and take the T shape key into the sea or swimming pool without fear of messing up electrics).