Turn Off Stop/Start Permanently

LittleBigMan

I'd prefer it defaulted to off thus leaving me with the decision.

In my manual 2008, it will occasionally baulk at restarting which I'm wondering may have something to do with my propensity to coast rather than drive 'normally'..........that's why I consider it potentially dangerous.

What do you mean by "coasting"? This isn't a criticism except that it's unclear whether you mean "selecting neutral at speed" or "approaching (potential) stops by releasing the throttle and slowing on engine braking alone".

What do you mean by "coasting"? This isn't a criticism except that it's unclear whether you mean "selecting neutral at speed" or "approaching (potential) stops by releasing the throttle and slowing on engine braking alone".

In our area neutral is a real option which I use often.

There is a coasting function built into my Yeti, which can be turned off if required in the Maxdot.  It reminds me of the old 'freewheel' selection that could be made with some cars years ago.  At present I'm using Start/Stop and the 'coasting' functions.

I'm still running the car in so no sustained speeds or sharp acceleration but I've clocked up 1200 miles in about 3 weeks and using my spread sheet that's showing around 47 mpg, the Maxdot is showing 51mpg.  I currently have no idea what the contribution to the mpg the Start/Stop and coasting are making but for now I'm happy to continue using these options.

The coasting was a little strange to start with but I'm finding it easy now to control, depending on traffic, road condition, lifting as I almost get to the top of a hill and coasting down the other side.  Maybe not so surprisingly on a steepish hill the speed can build up on the decent.  I've even noticed that lifting before traffic lights allows the car to coast reducing my need to brake.  I'm aware that not showing brake lights when I'm in traffic is not a good thing so use some road sense as to when I think it's best to avoid the coasting function.  The slightest touch of the brakes or accelerator will cause the function to be disabled.

I know there are some who loath the coasting function and would be interested to hear what others might say?

In our area neutral is a real option which I use often.

Ok cheers. Doing that is considered bad driving practice in the UK but I just wanted to clarify what you meant because I realise that traffic density in large parts of Oz is way lower.

Ok cheers. Doing that is considered bad driving practice in the UK but I just wanted to clarify what you meant because I realise that traffic density in large parts of Oz is way lower.

Ah no.

It's auto nirvana here.

My dislike of S/S is well known but I wouldn't go as far as removing a wire.

As the switch is close to the gear stick and falls readily to hand I automatically turn it off as I select a gear after starting the engine.

Edited by VAGCF

I can turn it off with VCDS.  There's a setting which deactivates stop start below -50 degrees C.  All you have to do is remove the minus so unless it gets hotter than 50C, stop start will never turn on.

What other settings can be changed?

The manual says:

"The driving speed was higher than 4 km.h after the last stop"

Is the 4 km/h parameter available?

• 1 month later...

If you want to turn off Stop/Start Peranently Just take the cover off the battery there is a thin wire plugged into the rear terminal post just i Unplug it.

Almost 2 months on and no problem showing from removing the cable from the battery. Just though I would let you know.

• Like 1

I drive a manual and it works just like the manual describes. Which is not ideal, though, like I said in an older post the speed limit after which it turn offs the engine again is too low, like 5km/h. Even in a stop&go traffic I go over this limit. The limit should be higher and among the other parameters it should also be the distance traveled, to avoid turning on and off the engine every couple of meters.   

Otherwise I'm quite happy with it. As a cyclist at a red light, I also prefer waiting behind a car with S&S rather than one without.

The e-HDI is the version that switches off below 20kph which might be confused by me being in neutral already sometimes, plus often I don't use the clutch to get neutral because the gearbox floats at 1100rpm so it's easy to nudge it into neutral without using it.