Smoke from starter motor and not starting!

Bodge

The one week I really need the car this happens, typical!

Went to start the car, dash lights up as normal, bright and no flickering/dimming. Turn over and nothing. Tried 3 times then passenger noticed smoke from engine bay! Popped the hood expecting flames but was just smoke from starter area. Smelt electrical. The starter has been totally dead ever since and I've had to ask kind people to help me bump the car twice today! Embarrassing.

Thankfully it bumps easily.

No other symptoms or anything leading up to this, just sudden failure.

Fuse box on battery ok and nothing obvious upon inspection.

Ideas? Assume need new starter.

Just what I needed with a 10 week old baby!

Thanks in advance guys.

The thick cables from the Battery Fuse box to the starter,  & alternator on mk1 Octy's suffer from a poor crimp connection which will eventually cause resistence & melting. Could of cooked the starter.

Edited by pauldazzle
  • Like 1

Your best bet is get along to euro car parts or GSF whichever is closest if you're fortunate enough and do a exchange on your old knackered unit for a new pattern part. Should work fine and much cheaper than main dealer, I've had one on mine for a year now and so far so good.

And yeah, need to find out if the wiring is all OK so it doesn't happen again.

• Like 1

Could be the starter motor windings shorting out, this happened to me many years ago trying to start my first Range Rover, smell / smoke etc,

popped the bonnet to see little flames dancing around the s/motor.

Rushed indoors, soaked a tea towel and threw it over it (fuel line was very close by).

Cost....one exchange starter motor plus a new tea towel.

Good Luck

Edited by Silver Bullet

Thanks for all the responses guys. Decided to go the whole hog and got a new starter and battery-to-starter cable following comments on the cable crimps. The cable did look pretty tired at its ends after 175k of service.

Got a new starter for £48 amazingly (connections!) but the damn cable was £39 from Skoda!

Did half the job last night until I ran out of light and realised I don't have a deep 18mm socket! I have one now so will finish the job after work and report back. Can't wait to get back on the roads!

Thanks again chaps