Getting royally f***ed by Skoda

Dr3w_vrs

CRASH67,  What rumours?  

There was actual facts from the Seat Ibiza failing from 2009 and then the first Skoda from the launch in 2010 and engines being rebuilt by 2011.

It was hardly Rumour.

Only VW Group Employees & Dealership staff saying that high oil usage was normal and acceptable.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/215817-excessive-oil-consumption-vrs-180

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by Offski

SUK and the skoda garages are useless to be honest, they left me high and dry with my VRS. Brought it in march with 35k full Skoda service history, shortly after buying it I found a receipt for an oil consumption test my heart sank. I rang Skoda immediately and ask them for the history. I was told over the phone that a consumption test had been done in the November before I got the car, then in October it had a lot of work done to it, and that it was in a1 running order after the work and I had nothing to worry about. I asked for exact details on what was done but skoda refused and pointed me to the dealership.

Cue a 6/7 week back and forward with the garage/skoda before I was finally told, that the car had new oil squirters, breather mod, and a cambelt change done at a cost of £900. But it later came out when I pushed the garage after continuing oil usage / eating plugs issues, that the car only just passed an oil consumption test after all the 'so called fixing work' had been done. Obviously I wasn't happy as why was the issue not rectified properly in November?, surely if all the work was successful, and the issue fixed why would the car still use oil, and only just pass a consumption test?!?!?. 

I complained to SUK, got no where fast, I then emailed the CEO direct saying how crap it was that a car with 35K a full Skoda service history and all the mods done to fix the issue still had a ****ed engine, I also complained about how long it took for them to tell me exactly what was done to the car and that if they had come back with the information quicker I may have been able to hand the car back.

Eventually I got a call of a service manager who said I had a very good case for an SUK contribution but that it was up to the Skoda dealership to decide on if it warranted a contribution.

I was not happy with tis as surely SUK should decide that, he confirmed that the garages get a 'pool' of contribution money and its up to them who gets it. I complained as why the hell would a garage the car has never been to, sanction a contribution on a £4K engine replacement (originaly garage that did the work was in Hull, I live in Newcastle so it would be going to the Newcastle dealership). The manager thought I had a strong case, and said he would talk to the dealership in Newcastle to see what contribution I would get.

Came back to me in 10 mins to say garage in Newcastle would not support an contribution claim so I would get sweet FA, and that there was nothing more SUK could do for me, and sorry about the bad experience I'd had, and he hoped it wouldn't put me off a future skoda purchase lols!!!.

I tried to argue my case more and they weren't interested, when pushed they said goodwill had been applied in the November so they couldn't sanction another payment, even when I pointed out the goodwill work in November had not satisfactorily resolved the issue, and that if the required work (new engine) had been done in goodwill in November I wouldn't be having the issues. The manager admitted that as it still used oil after the work (shown by only just passing a consumption test), it should have been investigate further then.

In the end I had enough was getting no where!!, and had to decide between running the car till the engine went pop, and then having to fork out £4k for a new engine, or taking a £1300 loss on trading the car in. I opted for the 2nd option and got shot.

Even now it still immensely ****es me off as the VRS had the best service record of any car I've had, the lowest mileage and was in the best condition. But what upset me even more was SUK lack of interest they weren't really bothered about my plight at all. At the end of the day no 35k engine with a full manufacturers service history should ****.

I'm also fairly sure the Skoda dealership in Hull knew they had a lemon and royally duffed me, the car was traded into them in the January  (presumably when the previous owner discovered the car was still using Oil and traded it in), and then instead of being for sale in Hull, the VRS is punted to a non skoda main dealer in Carlise and they (the garage in Hull) were cagey as f*!k when I was speaking to them about the car.

So presumably at this point the head has been removed and the valve removed for inspection?

Yes I think so. Unfortunately most of the communication I have had with the garage has been verbal and I can't recall exactly. Initial diagnostic was done by camera, but I think he said they removed the head to verify the damage and see whether a fix other than an engine replacement would be possible - which it wasn't.

Edited by Dr3w_vrs

Pretty shocking story. There does seem to be some decent garages out there by the various stories on these forums, guess it is luck of the draw.

These cars really have the potential to cost you a fortune. Such a shame really, it is a great car when it works, but they are just a time bomb. You did the right thing getting rid of it.

I was told the same thing by customer services re a 'pool' of contribution money. The garage I have mine in at the moment is not the garage I purchased it from, this may have some bearing on the goodwill offered. I have serviced it with them for the last 3 years though.

The saga continues, I am not giving up just yet.

You will hopefully get somewhere but I was just fed up, and thought even if I dragged it on and on there was no way SUK would pay the full amount and by that point I'd lost the love for the car and didn't trust it anymore, so it got traded in  (as didn't want to sell privately) I got £5200 trade in for a car that cost me £6600 about 4 months earlier and I was lucky to get 5200 to be honest, now had a Astra elite 160 CDTI, with a tuning box and a peadl box its really not that a far off the VRS  about 195-200bhp and 45mpg so its all good now

CRASH67,  What rumours?  

There was actual facts from the Seat Ibiza failing from 2009 and then the first Skoda from the launch in 2010 and engines being rebuilt by 2011.

It was hardly Rumour.

Only VW Group Employees & Dealership staff saying that high oil usage was normal and acceptable.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/215817-excessive-oil-consumption-vrs-180

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

At the time I purchased my monte I hadn't come across an issue with these engine. Just a few bit of bobs I had heard from people who knew people. Who had this issue. I found it concerning and never took a chance. Obviously over time it became clear there was an issue.

• Like 1

I spent 6 months with a Skoda dealer in parts during 2011 I remember a few queries relating to oil consumption. But during my time there the only engines we changed were on police cars... never did a 1.4 twin charger.

• Like 1

Did the dealership you worked at have many customers with Fabia twinchargers?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/206332-my-vrs-has-a-drink-problem/page-4

32KOFDATA had hit the nail on the head back in July 2011 on the Oil use. 5w 40 VW502 00 made all the difference.

Then so did a good Stage 1 remap and decent spark plugs not OEM / NGK, and 99 Ron petrol.

PS

I bought one of the first Mk2 Fabia vRS that was in the UK and it had been rejected and had an engine rebuild before 4,000 miles.

Obviously it had been a Demonstrator and sold at 3,000 miles.

Even after the rebuild someone in the workshop overfilled it with oil.

'Nath vRS' has one of the first cars and that is his now gubbed, and Brian69 has a very early one going good but he knows

how to look after it and its not done high miles.

Edited by Offski

Never mind.

Hi Brian, i saw your post in my inbox. Its not Rude at all haha. I understand it sounds odd and not really the kind of choice many decide to make.

Basically, i had a new job which paid a lot more.

After my stint working with Skodas, i was pretty certain i would have a skoda.

For years i wanted a more preformance based car so had eyes on VRS, but the vrs in price range at the time had the silver lights and grille... but i much prefered the styling of a Monte. (In a ideal world id of loved a monte styled VRS).

after weighing up cost etc and hearing about issues with the Twin-Charged 1.4 i opted for a Monte...

Edited by CRASH67
  • Like 1

I bought my 2010 Fabia from a Ford dealership in 2013, 13,000 miles on the clock. It had next to no service history. Within 6 months (10,000) it was drinking in the region of 3L of oil to 1000km or thereabouts. I managed to push them as far as 90% which I was absolutely over the moon with, at the same time I was baffled that they went this far. It did however take me 7 months to push this and at many points nearly got the better of me. multiple phonecalls weekly which would go on and on round and round.

I'm not sure legally where you stand but I will say you can push them and with the help and knowledge of the people here you have the best chance.

I'm quite lucky I've had no repeat faults in terms of the engine. only needed topping up once in 10k and that was only when I serviced it. stick at it and try not to lose your patience.

• Like 1