Disappointing ride quality

Lol6

I had my Superb checked at Blade in Weston Super Mare this morning, and the delivery blocks HAD been removed.

I did ask about suspension bottoming, and he said, yes, others have had the same experience.  I have not had it again, since that first day.

The suspension and ride are very good, more comfotable than my Vauxhall Insignia SRi.

After reading all the horror stories of transport blocks being left on the Superbs, I had my 220 TSI SE-L checked today and the the blocks had been removed by the dealer.

The roads here in the Rhondda valley are really bad so the poor old car has it's work cut out.

When I get out of the valley, the ride is first class.

Happy days :thumbup:  

Edited by garethowen01

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a new superb and I am also incredibly disappointed  with the ride quality. I have a sel estate running on 18 inch pegasus wheels. The ride pleasant and smooth on decent roads but crashes and fidgets on poor roads  to the point where I flinch when I no I can't avoid the imperfections . It also also very quick bottom out and crash coming off speed bumps as the spring rates are very poorly controlled. The body control in general is very poor which results in far too much lean driving even slightly quickly. The front suspension is also very noisy and knocky like a car that's done 100000 miles. My old 3 series which had 150000 on the clock was better in this regard.

I think the the ride  handling balance is very poorly judged. An audi or beemer may be quite firm riding but at least they counter this by being planted in bends. Kind of wished I bought a 5 series now and suffered the extra cost, as  I don't belive the superb is worth the savings. I have other issues with the car which I won't bore you guys with but suffice to say I am very  disappointed  with the car. Just wish it drove as well as it looks as I genuinely love the way it looks. 

I am on a pcp and I am seriously considering rejecting the vehicle. I think I will look into this transport blocks issue first though. 

• Like 1

Erceptions about the ride and handlimg are all relative, and centre on what you drove before and the Superb’s position in the VW Group hierarchy.

I came to it from an Octavia, which has a crude toraion beam at the back. The Superb has a fully independent back end, with the same architecture as the Passat, and compared to the Octy it is better damped, better controlled, quieter and more planted. It’s only real vice is a tendency to float/bob up and down a little too much over crests.

The Passat was one of the cars I tested before I bought the Superb and while it’s a wee bit noisier it really isn’t that much different in terms of ride. VW grades everything according to the brand and while platforms are the same the quality of the basic components (shock absorbers, bushes, springs etc, plus sound deadening/sealing/glass) rises the further up the tree you go. So a Superb is close to the performance of a Passat but can’t match its refinement or tactile quality, and can’t match an Audi on any of the key measures.

Comparing a Superb to a 5 series doesn’t make sense.

Thanks for the reply. 

You make very good points about looking at the the superb relative to more expensive models in the VAG hierarchy and also from the likes of BMW. I agree with all youve said and your description of the way the superb drives. The floating and bobbing on crests it something I've noticed. I also except is rides nicely compared to lesser models but what I don't expect with the car is the suspension to clonk and rattle over rough surfaces and crash into bumps like a car that had done 100000 miles irrespective of cost. 

I dont expect the car to compare to a 5 series because that would be unrealistic and agree it would not make sense.  I was merely expressing regret at not stretching my budget and looking at this level of car.  I would have liked it to compare more favourably to an A4 but as you've said they will get the better components from the VAG parts bin.  

On 26/08/2018 at 13:21, Malthus said:

what I don't expect with the car is the suspension to clonk and rattle over rough surfaces and crash into bumps like a car that had done 100000 miles irrespective of cost.

Already mentioned in the other thread but I agree 100% with the floaty bopping up and down talk, but this, the clonk and rattle, it doesn't sound normal to me. I would let someone look at the car if I were you. Just a simple checkup.

---

Regarding the ride quality though. My 3yo Superb goes quietly and calmly over pretty much all types of rough road surfaces, but the issues I have is that the suspensions are too soft with DCC in both Normal and Comfort. I don't know if this is normal or not but the felling I have is that if I would drive too hard over a speed bump the car would slam down to the ground on the way down... I wish there was a way to stiffen up Normal a bit or soften up Sport.

2 hours ago, jaggafredde said:

Already mentioned in the other thread but I agree 100% with the floaty bopping up and down talk, but this, the clonk and rattle, it doesn't sound normal to me. I would let someone look at the car if I were you. Just a simple checkup.

---

Regarding the ride quality though. My 3yo Superb goes quietly and calmly over pretty much all types of rough road surfaces, but the issues I have is that the suspensions are too soft with DCC in both Normal and Comfort. I don't know if this is normal or not but the felling I have is that if I would drive too hard over a speed bump the car would slam down to the ground on the way down... I wish there was a way to stiffen up Normal a bit or soften up Sport.

Ah thank god, I thought it was just my car that did this on speed bumps. I was very shocked the first time I went over a sleeping policemen. I also thought it was going to bottom out. It feels like a Citroen from the 1980s. The springs do need to be firmer, one to reduce body roll and lean and to give the dampers a chance to control the wheels better.  I do agree that the car is calm and quiet over most surfaces but the other 1% of the time where it fidgets and becomes noisy that concerns me.  I'm going to Skoda to discuss the clunks and noises. I will get them to check it.  

Thanks for the reply though as I now know there is not a problem with my car regarding the overly soft spring, although I do agree that they need a firmer setting. Maybe some good coil overs would sort it? 

5 hours ago, Malthus said:

Ah thank god, I thought it was just my car that did this on speed bumps. I was very shocked the first time I went over a sleeping policemen. I also thought it was going to bottom out. It feels like a Citroen from the 1980s. The springs do need to be firmer, one to reduce body roll and lean and to give the dampers a chance to control the wheels better.  I do agree that the car is calm and quiet over most surfaces but the other 1% of the time where it fidgets and becomes noisy that concerns me.  I'm going to Skoda to discuss the clunks and noises. I will get them to check it.  

Thanks for the reply though as I now know there is not a problem with my car regarding the overly soft spring, although I do agree that they need a firmer setting. Maybe some good coil overs would sort it? 

Lol yup especially with DCC and Comfort mode used it IS like a Citroën, or an old american car, it just slowly bounce like you’re on a boat, I actually like it on bumpy roads but my wife gets seasick and has forbidden me you use it :D

If you don’t have DCC then you can pretty much modify the car as you want it, if the wallet allows it. Springs, coilovers, dampers. Definitely an option!

With DCC if feels like you’re kind of stuck with the factory setting. It’s no big problem though since you have the stiff Sport mode as an option when you want it to stiffen up.

No idea if it’s on all model years but I saw a VAG video that stated that DCC is always activated and continuously reads what’s happening and actually alternates between the modes depending on what happens on the road, Normal on flat roads, Sport if it starts to roll in sharp turns etc. Cool tech!

4 hours ago, jaggafredde said:

Lol yup especially with DCC and Comfort mode used it IS like a Citroën, or an old american car, it just slowly bounce like you’re on a boat, I actually like it on bumpy roads but my wife gets seasick and has forbidden me you use it :D

If you don’t have DCC then you can pretty much modify the car as you want it, if the wallet allows it. Springs, coilovers, dampers. Definitely an option!

With DCC if feels like you’re kind of stuck with the factory setting. It’s no big problem though since you have the stiff Sport mode as an option when you want it to stiffen up.

No idea if it’s on all model years but I saw a VAG video that stated that DCC is always activated and continuously reads what’s happening and actually alternates between the modes depending on what happens on the road, Normal on flat roads, Sport if it starts to roll in sharp turns etc. Cool tech!

4 hours ago, jaggafredde said:

It is cool tech if indeed it does alternate automatically. I didn't realise that the superb had this with the DCC. I know the 5 series can have this on BMW's adaptive setup.  I think it had 3 baked in settings and then an adaptive setting you can select so the car adapts to the road, but if the superb can do this automatically that IS cool. Makes me wish I got an l & k one of that's the case. :crying:

I tend to use comfort mode when driving alone quite a bit, as the ride is so soft and relaxing.  Yes, it bounces but I just go with it.  Still possible to corner briskly but not like when using sport mode.  Most of my driving is town and country lanes.  Sport is good for the latter.  Accurate steering yes, but no real willingness to attack a bend.  Makes my early MX 5 all the more enjoyable.

When ‘er indoors is outdoors and in the car it goes into normal mode as she does not like the bouncing.

Towing the caravan is either normal or sport, depending upon the weight I am carrying.

9 hours ago, Malthus said:

It is cool tech if indeed it does alternate automatically. I didn't realise that the superb had this with the DCC. I know the 5 series can have this on BMW's adaptive setup.  I think it had 3 baked in settings and then an adaptive setting you can select so the car adapts to the road, but if the superb can do this automatically that IS cool. Makes me wish I got an l & k one of that's the case. :crying:

Don't worry about it, I haven't tried a MK3 without DCC but I doubt that it's a dramatic difference,  and like I said, the upside is that without DCC you can modify the suspension yourself much easier by changing specific parts. Could be a fun project perhaps? :) 

With DCC you have to accept the preset modes. (Unless you can tweak that through VCDS? hmm...)

Anyway, the uncensored undiplomatic angle is of course that it's a model issue. Plain and simple.

But here comes the diplomatic and perhaps boring angle of it all. 

Stating that Superbs have bad handling and lackluster suspension, like it's a fact, is actually not fair at all to Skoda. It could very well be isolated problems with your car (and others who complain about this too). It has sold to millions of people and been tested by probably hundreds of test drivers, and it's not like the car fails in test drives or commonly gets complaints by millions that the handling is bad. Quite the opposite I'd say, it's a very popular car model, for more reasons than simply being cheap. Something to think about maybe.

And I probably shouldn't state like it's a fact that the suspension with DCC is too soft either... My car is 3 years old and I have honestly no idea if the parts are in prime condition, I've literally only tried one single MK3 with DCC, this one. Something to think about for me too.

/end boring diplomatic angle :P

Anyway, I would start off by making sure that there isn't anything wrong with the suspension on the car. 

However, here comes an uncensored hot take, if these are in fact isolated problems that we see in a thread like this then we can state that the quality of these parts is bad. Simple as that. I think that's a perfectly okay complaint. I mean the car model is 3 years old so that's the age of the oldest MK3 out on the market, it's not like the car should start to have issues that soon. I had my Saab 9-3 1998 for 14 years and the suspension was working perfectly through all those years, I actually had extremely few issues with the car as a whole. RIP Saab :(

2 hours ago, jaggafredde said:

Don't worry about it, I haven't tried a MK3 without DCC but I doubt that it's a dramatic difference,  and like I said, the upside is that without DCC you can modify the suspension yourself much easier by changing specific parts. Could be a fun project perhaps? :) 

With DCC you have to accept the preset modes. (Unless you can tweak that through VCDS? hmm...)

Anyway, the uncensored undiplomatic angle is of course that it's a model issue. Plain and simple.

But here comes the diplomatic and perhaps boring angle of it all. 

Stating that Superbs have bad handling and lackluster suspension, like it's a fact, is actually not fair at all to Skoda. It could very well be isolated problems with your car (and others who complain about this too). It has sold to millions of people and been tested by probably hundreds of test drivers, and it's not like the car fails in test drives or commonly gets complaints by millions that the handling is bad. Quite the opposite I'd say, it's a very popular car model, for more reasons than simply being cheap. Something to think about maybe.

And I probably shouldn't state like it's a fact that the suspension with DCC is too soft either... My car is 3 years old and I have honestly no idea if the parts are in prime condition, I've literally only tried one single MK3 with DCC, this one. Something to think about for me too.

/end boring diplomatic angle :P

Anyway, I would start off by making sure that there isn't anything wrong with the suspension on the car. 

However, here comes an uncensored hot take, if these are in fact isolated problems that we see in a thread like this then we can state that the quality of these parts is bad. Simple as that. I think that's a perfectly okay complaint. I mean the car model is 3 years old so that's the age of the oldest MK3 out on the market, it's not like the car should start to have issues that soon. I had my Saab 9-3 1998 for 14 years and the suspension was working perfectly through all those years, I actually had extremely few issues with the car as a whole. RIP Saab :(

Lots to think about there and a balanced look at it.  Some good points. 

I'll get it checked and go from there. If not sorted I will either try to get out of the finance or do a vt at two years. 

I personally like cars to feel fairly fresh all the way up to 50000 miles and beyond. I bought a 3 series once that felt like new at 70k so I've been spoiled I guess. 

12 hours ago, jaggafredde said:

Spot on observations - and bear in mind that DCC doesn’t alter the basic architecture of the suspension. I stick by what I said earlier - while the Superb is never going to be a 5 series rival, its basic ride quality is above average for its price point while handling is fine for a big, comparatively softly-sprung barge. Most DCC-equipped models are riding on low profile tyres so I wonder exactly what difference it really makes in Sport mode.

If you push a car to its limits then, to state the bloomin’ obvious, its limits soon show up. Even in Sportline trim the Superb is never going to rival an Audi S6. Its biggest limitation is its place in the VW Group pecking order. Accept that and you’ve got a surprisingly good car - but one that will wear with age.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

Spot on observations - and bear in mind that DCC doesn’t alter the basic architecture of the suspension. I stick by what I said earlier - while the Superb is never going to be a 5 series rival, its basic ride quality is above average for its price point while handling is fine for a big, comparatively softly-sprung barge. Most DCC-equipped models are riding on low profile tyres so I wonder exactly what difference it really makes in Sport mode.

If you push a car to its limits then, to state the bloomin’ obvious, its limits soon show up. Even in Sportline trim the Superb is never going to rival an Audi S6. Its biggest limitation is its place in the VW Group pecking order. Accept that and you’ve got a surprisingly good car - but one that will wear with age.

I agree with everything here. It is a lot of car for the money and is good for what you get for the money, especially as i saved nearly 10k over the list price of an sel with a 190 engine as it was a pre reg. I just wasn't expecting to have suspension issues within 2000 miles.  

As you said it the basic suspension architecture which would not be improved by dcc and prehaps the added complexity could lead to more issues down the road. 

I never bought it as a 5 series rival or an A6 rival in terms of handljng or refinement as these are the next level up but I don't drive it in the limit as I have my family with me 90 % of the time. Even then it is too easy to find it's limitations but it does the job and the steering is quite nice.  I perhaps just regret not spending the extra to get into an Audi or beemer.