Locking Wheel Nuts

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can buy a spare locking wheel nut please? Not the ridiculous price of £36 charged by the dealer!

Not that I'm lazy but the dealer has put it in with the spare wheel... which now has a boot liner and a huge dog crate over the top of it. I can't be bothered to haul it all out! 

Many thanks

Option 1, if you already know the code, buy one from ebay as they tend to be for sale.

Option 2, if you don't know the code, get in there and retreive it and store it in a storage area above the spare wheel area - I've done that already as in my car, it gets hidden UNDER the spare wheel which is not handy when I use it when swopping summer/winter wheels/tyres!

Option 1, if you already know the code, buy one from ebay as they tend to be for sale.

Option 2, if you don't know the code, get in there and retreive it and store it in a storage area above the spare wheel area - I've done that already as in my car, it gets hidden UNDER the spare wheel which is not handy when I use it when swopping summer/winter wheels/tyres!

I'll go for the ebay option - it takes 2 peaple to dismantle and lift out the crate which is what you have to do... it weighs over 35kg and is a very tight fit as it's made to measure!  :D

errrrrr. Maybe don't be so lazy, retrieve it and put it in the glove box?

I'f you're free to pop up and give me a hand - see my earlier response... it was hard going to get it in without damaging the trim or paintwork as it's a custom... very tight fit.  :devil:

PPPPPPP

Speccing a spare wheel was a bit silly as well then as you will not be able to use it??

I would imagine the eBay option will be dearer than the dealer as you will have no way of knowing what code your locking bolt is so the only? option would be to buy a set of them all.

Personally I would bite the bullet and remove the crate again ... and then remove everything in the spare wheel well (tools, jack, locking wheel bolt socket and spare wheel)

I would then buy / swap the foam insert from a car that came without the spare wheel option, I’m sure there will be owners on here willing to do that. As the foam will then give the boot carpet a bit more support.

Edited by Gizmo68
link

PPPPPPP

Speccing a spare wheel was a bit silly as well then as you will not be able to use it??

I would imagine the eBay option will be dearer than the dealer as you will have no way of knowing what code your locking bolt is so the only? option would be to buy a set of them all.

Personally I would bite the bullet and remove the crate again ... and then remove everything in the spare wheel well (tools, jack, locking wheel bolt socket and spare wheel)

I would then buy / swap the foam insert from a car that came without the spare wheel option, I’m sure there will be owners on here willing to do that. As the foam will then give the boot carpet a bit more support.

I didn't spec it - the spare wheel came with the car from the factory - the dealership 'messed' up my order so I got this car, originally I wasn't having a spare wheel... Nor was I having a full cage - I only decided on it when I realised there were alarm sensor wires in the rear windows and I didn't want the dogs damaging them. I have the code for the wheel nut fortunately. I've never had a car where the locking nut kit was in the boot - they've always been in the glove box. Fortunately I have a spare aerosol repair kit which I keep in the car so it shouldn't be too much of an issue... for me the spare is just a selling point when I eventually pass the car on. 

Surprisingly, even for me, it seems that people are selling off these surplus stock of individual keys cheaper and easier to get on ebay than from local dealers!

• 4 years later...