New pickup observations

Picked up my new Superb SE L Exec DSG yesterday, just completed 200 miles down to Cardiff in it this morning. Initial observations compared to my outgoing 2013 Octavia Elegance Estate DSG in no particular order..

Ride quality is fantastic, did notice some feedback on some of the rougher surfaces, but overall, so much better.

Engine noise:- I think this is much improved from the mkII Superb 2.0 TDI and the Octavia.Only hard acceleration made a significant noise in the cabin which I would expect.

Cabin is good. 3 things I don't like,

1. No LED driving illumination. This was on the SE Mkll Superb and the Octy Elegance.

2. The Storage compartment to the right of the steering is tiny compared the the Octy. Doesn't even fit an iPhone 6 in.

3. Rear view mirror isn't auto dimming that I can see. Is this now an option? I might have missed it.

Colour. Went for Business Gray, although lighter than I expected, it does look very nice and I would expect it to weather well.

Windscreen washers. Back to the three jet squirt? Seems a bit primitive compared to the shower ones on the Octy.

Stop/Start. Big improvement over the Octy. Much quicker and seems pick and choose it's moment more intelligently.

DSG. As gorgeous as ever.

Economy. Early days, but actually seems better than the Octy. Averaged 56mpg over a very stop start journey down the m6/m5. I think it will improve into the 60's which I will be happy with.

Adaptive Cruise Control. Might take a bit of getting used to. I was very aware of it constantly breaking in busy traffic on the M6 then slow to respond to clear paths. I think it upset BMW drivers behind which could be seen as a bonus :-) 

Drive. As I expected for a car of this size, soft on the corners, but capable. I didn't buy a sports car.

Overall, no regrets, glad to be back in the big fella after 3 years in an Octy! Difficult to buy more car for your money...

• Like 1

Picked up my new Superb SE L Exec DSG yesterday, just completed 200 miles down to Cardiff in it this morning. Initial observations compared to my outgoing 2013 Octavia Elegance Estate DSG in no particular order..

Ride quality is fantastic, did notice some feedback on some of the rougher surfaces, but overall, so much better.

Engine noise:- I think this is much improved from the mkII Superb 2.0 TDI and the Octavia.Only hard acceleration made a significant noise in the cabin which I would expect.

1. No LED driving illumination. This was on the SE Mkll Superb and the Octy Elegance.

2. The Storage compartment to the right of the steering is tiny compared the the Octy. Doesn't even fit an iPhone 6 in.

3. Rear view mirror isn't auto dimming that I can see. Is this now an option? I might have missed it.

Colour. Went for Business Gray, although lighter than I expected, it does look very nice and I would expect it to weather well.

Windscreen washers. Back to the three jet squirt? Seems a bit primitive compared to the shower ones on the Octy.

Stop/Start. Big improvement over the Octy. Much quicker and seems pick and choose it's moment more intelligently.

DSG. As gorgeous as ever.

Economy. Early days, but actually seems better than the Octy. Averaged 56mpg over a very stop start journey down the m6/m5. I think it will improve into the 60's which I will be happy with.

Adaptive Cruise Control. Might take a bit of getting used to. I was very aware of it constantly breaking in busy traffic on the M6 then slow to respond to clear paths. I think it upset BMW drivers behind which could be seen as a bonus :-) 

Drive. As I expected for a car of this size, soft on the corners, but capable. I didn't buy a sports car.

Overall, no regrets, glad to be back in the big fella after 3 years in an Octy! Difficult to buy more car for your money...

Done 400 miles in mine since Saturday.

Agree with most of the things you've pointed but Rear view mirror - think mine is auto-dimming (not sure though!).

Business Grey is a nice colour not too light not too dark.

Stop/Start is great (came from a Megane which was useless).

Economy - just under 50 for me so far but  early days. Have had 2 stop/start commutes so not surprised.

Finally, it's lovely to drive a big relaxing car while watching everyone else driving round in small hatches cutting each other up!

• Like 1

Here are my views on your comments:

1. No LED driving illumination. This was on the SE Mkll Superb and the Octy Elegance. True, I miss the LEDs from me S2 but I have Interior LED Package which helps.

2. The Storage compartment to the right of the steering is tiny compared the the Octy. Doesn't even fit an iPhone 6 in. Can't comment as I don't use it.

3. Rear view mirror isn't auto dimming that I can see. Is this now an option? I might have missed it. Does it have the manual switch on the bottom? If not then it's auto dimming.

Windscreen washers. Back to the three jet squirt? Seems a bit primitive compared to the shower ones on the Octy. Have changed mine for Passat jets and reverted to a proper wide spray jet.

Stop/Start. Big improvement over the Octy. Much quicker and seems pick and choose it's moment more intelligently. Switch it off when I get in so can't comment!

DSG. As gorgeous as ever. Agreed, this is my first DSG and I love it.

Adaptive Cruise Control. Might take a bit of getting used to. I was very aware of it constantly breaking in busy traffic on the M6 then slow to respond to clear paths. I think it upset BMW drivers behind which could be seen as a bonus :-) It's great, you will get used to it. Put it on the shortest gap though.

• Like 1

Done 400 miles in mine since Saturday.

Agree with most of the things you've pointed but Rear view mirror - think mine is auto-dimming (not sure though!).

Business Grey is a nice colour not too light not too dark.

Stop/Start is great (came from a Megane which was useless).

Economy - just under 50 for me so far but  early days. Have had 2 stop/start commutes so not surprised.

Finally, it's lovely to drive a big relaxing car while watching everyone else driving round in small hatches cutting each other up!

Maybe it is auto dimming, but I couldn't quite decide. thought there would be a switch underneath to disable like on the Octy.

Here are my views on your comments:

I'm not hands on enough to go changing washer spray nozzles. Can't understand why they would revert. Surely can't cost much different?

In the Octy I was always turning the Stop/Start off. This is much more responsive so will use it more I think.

Think I need to have a play with the cruise control a bit more. A busy M6 was not the place to experiment really :-) 

I'm not hands on enough to go changing washer spray nozzles. Can't understand why they would revert. Surely can't cost much different?

In the Octy I was always turning the Stop/Start off. This is much more responsive so will use it more I think.

Think I need to have a play with the cruise control a bit more. A busy M6 was not the place to experiment really :-) 

Changing nozzles is a 10 min job, very very simple: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/398484-washer-nozzle-retrofit-heated-version/page-2?hl=%2Bwasher#entry4709156

I have cruise on the shortest gap and it works perfectly for me, sometimes does give you a shock when it brakes sharply but you get used to it

Changing nozzles is a 10 min job, very very simple: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/398484-washer-nozzle-retrofit-heated-version/page-2?hl=%2Bwasher#entry4709156

I have cruise on the shortest gap and it works perfectly for me, sometimes does give you a shock when it brakes sharply but you get used to it

Cheers. I'll see how I get on with them. Poor show from Skoda as per the thread. Same with the driver illumination. Small things make a difference.

I'll have a good play with the cruise on the drive home on Friday. Traffic might be quieter(doubtful) 

Maybe it is auto dimming, but I couldn't quite decide. thought there would be a switch underneath to disable like on the Octy.

SE L Exec does have autodimming mirror. I also noticed that the side mirrors dim too.

Was driving yesterday with the setting sun behind me and all 3 mirrors had a green tinge to them.

Look for the fine line around the inside of the side mirrors...

SE L Exec does have autodimming mirror. I also noticed that the side mirrors dim too.

Was driving yesterday with the setting sun behind me and all 3 mirrors had a green tinge to them.

Look for the fine line around the inside of the side mirrors...

That will be why I couldn't tell. I was comparing to the wing mirrors and it all looked the same  :p

Doesn't the auto dimming have a button as opposed to a lever on the bottom of the mirror? Also, in my Yeti there is a small green light in the bottom of the mirror that comes on when the auto dim is switched on.

Ian

Doesn't the auto dimming have a button as opposed to a lever on the bottom of the mirror? Also, in my Yeti there is a small green light in the bottom of the mirror that comes on when the auto dim is switched on.

Ian

nope.. nothing... its the cheap auto dimming version where the glass reacts to the light rather than a on / off switch

nope.. nothing... its the cheap auto dimming version where the glass reacts to the light rather than a on / off switch

Like my Yeti, however in my car I can push the button to stop it reacting to the light.

Ian