Is The Tavia, The New London Black Cab ?

Philgr

Glasgow is hoaching with Octavia cabs. One of my colleugues dedicated a chapter of their dissertation to how this could affect the Skoda brand.

I just think of it the way one of my German friends put it: In Germany, when there is lots of one particular car model being used as a taxi it is given a lot of respect as it is ovbiously an incredibly strong car.

Good point really.

Scotland as a whole has millions of Octavia Taxi's. I think the Glasgow area must have a really high percentage, mainly to do with the fact that Private Hire cabs in our council region cannot be more that 4 years old and the Octavia is cheaper to buy than a Mondeo. You should see the rank outside Glasgow Airport! Mind you some of the taxi drivers are nutters, I got picked up in one after a night out, and he had his club music banging away and was taking shortcuts throught car parks to avoid traffic lights! He was also going a lightning speed I have never been home so quickly! Felt like asking him if it was a 1.8T under the bonnet....

Last time I was in Glasgow, the Taxi that picked me up from the airport was a Tdi Octy. The driver told me that him and his mate had a business importing Octy's and Corolla diesels from Ireland, specifically for sale to the Taxi trade -they could undercut all the dealers on price.

That might explain the number of the things you see around there!

It was the first time I'd been up there for years, and I'd forgotten what a nice place Glasgow is -some of the nicest people and best pubs anywhere.

Phil

Originally posted by philc in this post

Last time I was in Glasgow, the Taxi that picked me up from the airport was a Tdi Octy. The driver told me that him and his mate had a business importing Octy's and Corolla diesels from Ireland, specifically for sale to the Taxi trade -they could undercut all the dealers on price.

That might explain the number of the things you see around there!

It was the first time I'd been up there for years, and I'd forgotten what a nice place Glasgow is -some of the nicest people and best pubs anywhere.

Phil

Some of them are Irish, they have no rear wiper but lots of them are supplied by the franchise dealers who have special contract hire rates and servicing packs for taxi drivers.

Agree, nearly every Octy in Glasgow's a taxi - often an SDI (ouch !). Apparently the local dealers were encouraging the cabbies to take them on 4 years HP then hand them back to the finance company after 2 years, with 100k on the clock and pretty f***ed !

On the one hand it makes the car fairly common, on the other hand lots of people have said to me that if the cabbies like them so much they must be pretty solid ....

I live in Larkhall, Scotland and there are 2 main taxi companies. The one i used to work for has 25 cars, 11 of those are Octavias. The other company has a lot of taxis and most of those are octavias. The surrounding town Hamilton has LOADS of them!