55 years of car cost and mileage

swedishskoda

Fascinating article in a Swedish daily the other day about an 86 yr old carowner who has kept tab of all his car costs since 1958. All his cars were bought brand new and driven for 35,000-40,000 miles or thereabouts, except the last one (now at 95,000 miles)

The cars, the total cost/100 miles (today's prices and £ exchange rate), and mileage:

VW Beetle 1958: £18/100 miles, 35.7 mpg
Volvo 121 1962: £27.40, 33.6
Volvo 121 1966: £29.20, 33.2
Volvo 142 1968: £19.80, 29.7
Volvo 242 1975: £16.60, 28.5
Volvo 240 1982: £16.60, 28.2
Volvo 740 1986: £18.70, 32.8
Volvo 850 1993: £30.10, 32.1
Volvo 855 1996: £41.30, 30.7
Volvo V70 2001: £53.40, 31.0

What surprised me most was that the VW had the best mileage. OK, nothing but 30 BHP, but one would still expect better mileage from a modern engine.

Modern cars do have inherently higher running costs due to many factors such as servicing and tyres, hence difference. Think of a service on an old beetle, probably wouldn't cost £30 in parts, then look at a modern car, requiring expensive timing components, platinum tipped plugs etc, costs are higher straight away, plus the extra time involved. Some new cars can take anything upto 2 hours or more to service these days by the time you have removed sound deadening materials and engine covers to get at the parts needed, whereas an old classic is there in front of you, so can be done fairly quickly.

Tyres too need factoring in. An old beetle on 13" rims would probably be about £20-£30 per corner, whereas a modern car would be approaching £80-£90 per corner for an average brand, and being inherently heavier, may not last as long as a lighter classic.

Edited by octyal

My Mum who is 91 remembers the price of every car that her and my Dad bought and traded from 1955 starting with a Prefect, no list she has then off by memory, but i made a note of them.. & then the ones on from after my Dads death.  Some were very good deals that got them a better or new car without having to spend any money

• Like 1

My first car used to cost £30 to get serviced and tyres were £30 a corner (155/80/13). It would do 50mpg as well and basically had nothing to go wrong.

****ing awful car though.

It's true that parts has become more expensive, and there are more of them that need looking after (no AC in an old Beetle). On the other hand: back in the 50's it was oil change and lubrication every 1,000 miles, plus checking valve clearance, changing head gaskets was a regular, you'd probably need new cylinder sleeves (or reboring) and new crankshaft bearings after 20,000-30,000 miles or so. With a bit of luck, today's engines can run for 200,000 or even 300,000 miles without ever being dismantled.

The decrease in mileage still surprises me, considering the price of petrol. I remember when the VW Golf was introduced: a proper car doing 55+ mpg, a sensation. But despite petrol prices and concerns about future oil supply and environment, the average car is just as thirsty as it was 50 years ago.

Oh, and the Beetle had 15" tyres... 15/165 IIRC.

• Like 1

That good old leaded petrol in various grades. 2 star to 5 star.

& younger people might not remember how often oil changes used to be done, in petrols then in diesels.

I remember my Father servicing a car properly before a 400 mile trip for the likes of going away for Christmas.. 

That was new points, spark plugs maybe, Brakes stripped, Greasing with a grease gun, Oil & Filter and Antifreeze changed, Bag of Sand in the boot, Town & County tyres on etc.

Edited by Offski

That good old leaded petrol in various grades. 2 star to 5 star.

& younger people might not remember how often oil changes used to be done, in petrols then in diesels.

I remember my Father servicing a car properly before a 400 mile trip for the likes of going away for Christmas.. 

That was new points, spark plugs maybe, Brakes stripped, Greasing with a grease gun, Oil & Filter and Antifreeze changed, Bag of Sand in the boot, Town & County tyres on etc.

Standard practice from November onwards back in the early 80's when we used to have a proper winter (and still get around without traction control and all the other electronic aids we have now)

Traction control? What's traction control? I've heard that there's something called ABS brakes, though... might be worth trying.

And sandbags (big ones) in the boot are for Beemer and Merc owners who haven't realised the advantages of FWD cars

Edited by swedishskoda
  • Like 1

Traction control? What's traction control? I've heard that there's something called ABS brakes, though... might be worth trying.

And sandbags (big ones) in the boot are for Beemer and Merc owners who haven't realised the advantages of FWD cars

BUT- as a tip from an old timer- in winter, in RWD, the rear footwell is the place to put these.Add a bit of strong string/small rope and a pair of old sacks ( or for the Mrs Buckets, a pair of nearly new carpet mats) and the car is almost ready for bad weather. But are you. Perhaps fitting an egg under both feet might improve traction control in snow etc. BMW drivers have not heard that the adage of "the faster the wheels spin" means better traction.

Edited by VWD
  • Like 1