Fan over run

I have had the car for 2 weeks, 1.6tdi estate, today I drove approx. 10 miles and stopped in a carpark. When I got out of the car the fan continued to race but when I restarted the car and then drove again it seemed to have sorted itself. Is this a usual thing and should I be concerned??

When you stopped the car the engine was hot & the fan runs on to help cool the engine & exhaust system.

Nothing to worry about.

It is commonly triggered if the car was recently regenerating the DPF (hence very hot exhaust) before you stopped but can also be activated if you drive the car hard or have been towing a heavy load for example.

OK, so I just drove for approx. 15 miles at around 45-55 mph and when I stopped the DPF carried on, after a couple of minutes I started the car revved it and switched it off and the over run stopped, should I be concerned???? this is now twice in a week.

I do not understand electronics etc and am seriously wondering if I have bought something beyond my capabilities, Any reassurance or helpul hints would be welcome

Modern diesels are no longer suited for short journeys.  All you're experiencing is an interruption of an active DPF regeneration.  Interrupt it too many times and there may be problems if the filter can't clean itself.

• Like 1