Xmas Console help

Aspman

Out the console loop for a long time so need to double check (last console was the original X-Box).

Thinking about getting an Xbox One S for me the boy for Xmas. I've a 4k telly so it makes sense I think to get the S.

Main dilemma is over the capacity. There are 500Gb / 1Tb and 2Tb options with a pretty big pricegap between them.

The boy will likely play Minecraft and other simpler games (not sure what's available on download really) Forza for me.

At the moment thinking of going in the middle and getting the 1Tb.

Yay or nay?

I went for the 500gb s model

Mainly because I upgraded from an original black Xbox one and that had 500gb but I had a seperate 2tb hard drive that can be bought for cheap now a days plus should i so wish I can take my games with me on the hard drive (gone filly digital now)

• Like 1

I'd go for the cheaper, lower capacity one too. I have a day one Xbox One, it has a 500gb hard drive which does fill up quite quickly. However, it only takes 2 minutes to uninstall a couple of games if you do run out of space, plus as malcster says you can upgrade the capacity with a USB hard drive if you find you need more.

Forza Horizon 3 is absolutely superb btw...

Edited by RampantBadger
  • Like 1

The Xbox has great support for external USB drives, I have one of the original 500GB models and used an external 2TB drive to expand it - rather than appear as separate drives, both hard drives just appear as one large 2.5TB pool.  I have the Xbox set to default everything to the external drive so I can easily copy the game data to another Xbox plus if this Xbox dies, I can just move the USB drive to its replacement and have all my content there without having to download it again.

John

• Like 1

So cheap 500Gb  Xbox S and add an external drive as needed seems to be the way to go. Which is extra good coz that's the minecraft pack

62758905.jpg

Edited by Aspman

Spotted Tesco deal and bought a 500Gb Fifa pack, + Forza 3 + Halo 5 + Minecraft  + extra controller for £300. And I had £20 of vouchers to use as a bonus discount.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/fifa-17-500gb-xbox-one-s-console-bundle-gears-war-4-mafia-3-forza-horizon-3-halo-2531895

• Like 2

That looks a great deal and looking at current prices it's just not worth paying the extra for the 1TB as you should be able to get a USB 2TB drive for a similar price.  It's not quite as neat as an internal drive but if you go for a portable/notebook drive it's compact and is powered over USB plus if you start installing a lot of games you'll want more than 1TB anyway (usually around 60-70GB install size per game)

John

• Like 1

Fyi - you don't need to buy an external drive if you've got a spare hdd kicking around. I've popped a 1tb 2.5" I had as a backup into an eBay £4.99 USB3 caddy and it works a treat.

• Like 1

Have a look at the new Nintendo Switch.

I did see that but me wants Forza :devil:

Quite possibly going to get the wee man a 2DS as well since he loves Mario Kart.

That and the XBox is really mine, the only bit for him is Minecraft :p

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Although the Switch looks an interesting console, it's not going to be out in time for Christmas and also consoles are not great at release as there's only a small choice of games and usually pricey.  

The Xbox One/PS4 are a good buy at the moment as they've been out long enough to build up a decent library of games, plenty of cheaper ones and there's good value bundles as well.

John

Just as well I plugged the bugger in.

3hr later and it's still updating.

Then updating the controller.

Then installing a game

Then updating the game

Didn't realise the games also need to install rather than just running off the disk. Oh the naivety!

UI is a bloody mess as well.

Just as well I plugged the bugger in.

3hr later and it's still updating.

Then updating the controller.

Then installing a game

Then updating the game

Didn't realise the games also need to install rather than just running off the disk. Oh the naivety!

UI is a bloody mess as well.

Welcome to modern console gaming unfortunately, you'll do all that updating then decide you want to watch a film and need to update the console then update the blu-ray app.  It's quite weird that I find the PC now more straight forward than the consoles to use.  I also agree about the UI and just the One in general feels clunky compared to the 360 although I prefer it in general to the PS4.

The games all need installed to the hard drive for speed, the optical drive isn't fast enough.

John

you'll do all that updating then decide you want to watch a film and need to update the console then update the blu-ray app. 

Aye I'd removed the blue ray player to make space for the xbox but I've decided to put it back in since it's just much faster to use it than fart about with the console. Hence the HDMI switch thread.

The TV upscales really well anyway so the upscaling on the xbox doesn't matter.

And it threw a rather confusing hissy fit that I've got a 4k non-HDR telly. Turns out the 'desktop' interface won't run at 4k without HDR but games will. Although that isn't clear anywhere.

Edited by Aspman

Thought I'd stick in Halo 5 last night

After an interminable wait it said it needed an update .....45Gb.

45GB!

Thought I'd stick in Halo 5 last night

After an interminable wait it said it needed an update .....45Gb.

45GB!

Welcome to the world of modern consoles...

you get used to it pretty quickly, some of the downloads are ridiculous though. When I get a new game I tend to stick the disc in the drive a couple of hours before I want to play, just let it get on with installing and downloading whatever it wants. If you set the console to instant on with background downloads it will carry on downloading and installing even if its 'turned off'.

With Halo 5 they have continually added a lot of free content after release and also it's not unusual for games to download all the DLC in a patch even if you've not bought it.

That said, fibre is clearly a must now - I had 4mb ADSL originally and was having to queue up patches and downloads, take the console to a friend's house to leave overnight and pick it up the next day.  On the plus side it means I can buy more games digitally which is a bonus with the Xbox/PC cross play that so far works very well.

Edited by JohnMcL7

That said, fibre is clearly a must now - I had 4mb ADSL originally and was having to queue up patches and downloads, take the console to a friend's house to leave overnight and pick it up the next day.  On the plus side it means I can buy more games digitally which is a bonus with the Xbox/PC cross play that so far works very well.

I tried to get fibre but I couldn't. It is in the area but the exchange is maxed out. Nice bit of statistical massage by BT. It'll be 'available' to a few thousand households but probably only available to purchase for a few hundred.

So is this an "early" Xmas present then? Or you just testing it when the little man is in bed!

Might have decide the console is an early present for Dad :devil:

Minecraft disk has been put away.

Forza is very pretty if very hard.

I tried to get fibre but I couldn't. It is in the area but the exchange is maxed out. Nice bit of statistical massage by BT. It'll be 'available' to a few thousand households but probably only available to purchase for a few hundred.

We're flat out at the mo installing extra capacity in the DSLAMs. Some 288 property capable DSLAMs were only initially installed with capacity for 100 properties. The smaller 128 DSLAM's are getting an additional 128 lines installed.

Welcome to the world of modern consoles...

you get used to it pretty quickly, some of the downloads are ridiculous though. When I get a new game I tend to stick the disc in the drive a couple of hours before I want to play, just let it get on with installing and downloading whatever it wants. If you set the console to instant on with background downloads it will carry on downloading and installing even if its 'turned off'.

∆∆∆∆∆ this!!

Whatever you do aspman if at all possible have the 'always on' setting to on

So many times I used to put a game in for it to need an hours update - now it does them while the machine is off

Also I have lost gamesaves to the cloud - horizon 2 100hrs+....gone

Not often mind,hopefully always on should prevent it