Honda CR-V Diesel or petrol quandary

Gwilo

This follows on from an earlier thread of mine about 4x4 choices. The big bruisers are all out of running due to stupid road tax and mpg. Which I should have known anyway, but you can't blame a guy for dreaming....

So, SWMBO had now settled on a CRV as offering the blend of space etc that she's looking for and that I can love with. We're now faced with choosing between the 2.0 petrol VTEC and the 2.2 I-ctdi.

We had a 2nd Gen VTEC crv and while nice, it clearly lacked poke compared to the diesel.

I know the view is diesel makes no sense on anything less than 15k miles a year and takes forever to break even.

However, a 2009 Petrol with 45k on clock is the same price as a 09 diesel with 60k. The diesel has all the toys, the petrol is standard trim.

I only do 8 miles there abouts a day commute. A run to Manchester or Wigan every three weeks or so, though this will be more when The Sprog is born.

Using an online fuel calc, -and putting in the low quotes mpg for both cars and the current fuel costs, diesel works out only 4 pence per day more expensive to run. Less than a tenner a year over 48 weeks use. For commuting at least. On a run, the needle would swing more in its favour.

The road tax is also £60 cheaper per year than the VTEC.

Servicing... not sure on the differential in price between diesels and petrols anymore - had nothing but diesels for a long time. But as an indication, the last major service on the golf, including air filter and diesel fuel filter, was £164, which I can happily live with.

Oh, and the diesel Honda doesn't have the DPF, so that's not a concern.

I know it sounds like I'm making the case for the diesel, but I'm genuinely not sure what to go with at this point.

I'd love some guidance or information I've not considered.

My mum had the 2.2 diesel in her last civic and to be honest it was seriously pokey. The torque delivery was incredible.

My only concern is that by only doing 8 miles the engine won't really ever get up to temperature.

Sorry I can't be of more help...

Petrol. That mileage will just store up trouble for you even without a DPF.

I had the later dtech 2.2, it was ok, adequate power wise but no problems and no oil consumption at all even at 80k

People (especially wives) love the CRV. Yet to meet anyone with one that doesn't love their car especially after winter. With those low miles I'd probably just leave the thing on winters for the whole year.

Very reliable cars, very well built. It's deceptively simple inside but very solid. You start to notice that the bean counters hadn't got to them yet and everything is well engineered.

For the sprog I'd try to get leather or invest in rear seat covers, sprog will exorcist barf milk on your car at some point.

Residuals will be good for the CRV even with a lot of miles and years on it.

I hear the comments on getting to temp, the DSG box'd gold manages it. Just. And usually because I tend to put it in manual in the morning to get it to temp - it's a bit hesitant to get going in 1st with a couple of colder mornings here.Home journey less of an issue due to traffic volume.

Is the VTEC a chain driven engine too?

And aspman, what sort of issues did you have in mind?

With low miles diesels will gunk up and you can get EGR problems even without a DPF.

Low miles aren't very good for petrols either they get gunky as well just not as bad as derv.

You can start to have problems with emissions come MOT time if you don't take them out for a good thrash before hand.

Honda engines are all chain cam I think.

Edited by Aspman

I have the 2.2 in an 06 civic and do low miles no problem. It has a PTC heater so gets up to temp after about 3 Miles. Smooth and torque and easy to drive. I wouldn't do VTEC as it'll be underpowered in a crv

Cheers Aspman. The egr will be blanked/mapped out asap.

As for a good thrash, with a young sprog dropping mid may, and grandparents 50 miles away, it's going to be on the cards every month at least once.

Derv it looks like.....I'll miss the lazy drive of the DSG if a deal gets made.... back to cog-swapping by hand :-(

Edited by Gwilo

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

Bought the 2.2 Diesel. Manual, which is a shame, as I've gotten quite lazy....

1000 miles in and what does the jury make of it.....

Round town/commute i'm getting 33mpg. Hit 49mpg on a half loaded jaunt to Wales last week.

So, Fuel....more expensive. Road tax. More expensive. Insurance. More expensive.

No DPF to go wrong though. Plenty of room and comfort.

Lots of lovely toys....just a shame the sat nav head unit is ancient, the hands free is dimwitted and Honda really over complicated it by giving it voice activated controls for everything it seems.....I had quite a lot of fun as the previous owner had it set for German. The head unit and hands free situation is rectifiable at a cost, so just making do until i have a lottery win.

Stil, mechanically it will hopefully be robust.

It gets up to temp about 3 miles in to my commute too, so thats a bonus. 

it doesn't have the usual diesel shove when accelerating, so it's a slightly odd sensation watching the speed  and revs climb smoothly, with minimal fuss or drama.

Some irk in a van kindly relieved my of my wing mirror at speed, and I had a to choke on the cost of an official replacement...£290 fitted..... a plain plastic one off eBay, not painted. £59 and £48 to fit.  I didn't want totackley it myself as the door cards are secured with half a dozen hidden screws and I'm not the most DI competent....

:notme:

2008, Executive.

I know Honda parts aren't cheap, but then neither are VAG parts, so swings and roundabouts.

Servicing.... I use a third party who used to run and service a fleet of HGVs for haulage. Quite reasonable and very knowledgable with all diesels.