2005 Octavia Mk2 Ambiente rear parking sensors

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a cheap runabout Octavia. It's a great car and I knew about the rear sensor issue when I bought it.

I purchased a new module on eBay and set about removing the boot trim to replace it.

Need your help though! Before I changed the module I got no beep when engaging reverse and no image at all on the Stream radio display. Absolutely as if there were no rear sensors on the car.

I just swapped out the module this morning and now it's exactly the same EXCEPT when I go from reverse to neutral the radio display shows the image of the car for a second or 2 then goes back to the radio.

So something has changed by fitting the new module but it still isn't working....any ideas? Any reset needed etc?

Cheers,

Dan

Check that the four sensors are working as faulty sensors will cause the system to not function.

Switch ignition on but do not start engine.

Select reverse gear.

Put your ear to each of the sensors, a working sensor emits ultrasonic pulses which can be heard as a faint clicking sound.

If you find a dud it's a fairly easy fix to replace and they are about a tenner each on eBay.

Don't fret on part number suffixes, that is just the revision letter and a later part e.g. F will directly replace e.g. a D item and may even cost less. It is a common VAG part so source the best price from anywhere as long as part number (excluding suffix) matches regardless if it's advertised for another make/model.

MicMac thanks I'll try listening to each sensor as you advise.

I had assumed that the rear washer had been leaking on the original module but it was all dry. Seems odd that I now get a pic of the car for a couple of secs when moving from reverse to neutral but didn't before.

Replace the sensor and all will be well... most likely :-)

I've a post on here somewhere that details the procedure, search and ye shall find.

Hi Mike, definitely Skoda original factory fit. I replaced the Skoda module today and the image displayed on the radio. The car only cost me 1200 quid and think I got a good deal! It has 17 inch Skoda Pegasus option wheels too. It's all original never had anything modified from new. 94k miles and the 1.6fsi BLF engine so no timing belts for me to worry about.

Edited by Race Blue vRS

Cheers Mike. I only bought it whilst I'm back home for some medical stuff so I'll be selling in around 6 to 9 months all being well. I like tinkering and it'll be really satisfying to fix the rear sensors. Only other thing is the gear knob needs a new clip as it rotates but I may just put up with that.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, well need your assistance again please with these damn rear parking sensors.

Replaced the faulty sensor today and confirmed it clicks when ignition is on and car is in reverse. All 4 now emit the self test clicking.

As already mentioned I've replaced the control module too. All I get is when going from reverse to neutral, the image of the car flashes up on the radio for maximum of 2 seconds. I get no beeping at all.

Help!

• 1 month later...

Still no success with this - could it be the switch or sensor on the gearbox/lever when selecting reverse?

- I've never heard a beep in the cabin when engaging reverse.

- All sensors emit the self test click with ignition on and in reverse. 

- I replaced the control module by passenger side rear wheelwell.

- I only get a 2 second flash of the car image on the Stream radio when going from reverse to neutral.

Any ideas? Really want to fix it - it's become a mission!

Dan

Edited by Race Blue vRS

I had the same symptoms as you when I bought mine but it was fixed by replacing 2 dud sensors.

If you are getting reverse lights and are sure each sensor is clicking (assumed good) then it has to be a wiring or module issue.

Did you try the original module?

I forget how much slack there is in the wiring to start swapping sensors around, I'd be inclined to disconnect all and reconnect one at a time testing as I went.

Fully switch ignition OFF/remove key each time to reset system. I know this sounds extreme but with so much electronics in cars these days you have to be sure you're not testing something that's using old data.

It may be that there is still a faulty sensor, even though it clicks it's U/S.

Replace the other 3 one by one or have the car properly scanned for codes, probably cost the same but you may get lucky and only need 1 more sensor in which case you can return the non required ones.

Good luck.

Edited by MicMac

Thanks I'll keep trying :)

I haven't yet put the original module back in but I didn't get the brief image on the radio with the original module, only when I replaced it.....but it's probably the first thing to try, to put the original module back in.

Edited by Race Blue vRS

Could it be a dud speaker?  When I fitted the FL control module to my pre FL, it needed a second speaker and I had problems (not quite like you describe) and system failure because of the open circuit on the missing speaker.  If you're speaker is open circuit maybe it is casuing your problem.  They are cheap and easily replaced (passenger side B pillar towards the floor) and can be sourced on ebay.

It's not the beeper as the car image is only displayed for a brief time which indicates a sensor/module issue.

If the beeper was dud he would still have the car image with proximity bars.

Yeah I'd give anything for beeps, a constant image and proximity bars!

It only flashes up the car image for 2 seconds when moving gear stick from reverse to neutral then goes back to radio, no beeps, nothing else.

Happy new year to you all.