Towing hook is stucked

Sounds like the mechanism might be binding. Try applying upward pressure on the bottom of the towing hook, maybe using a jack, to see if that helps you release it. If it does, then I'd suggest making sure all the moving parts are greased before you refit it.

• Like 1

Can you access the linkage behind the release button? If so, then try spraying a dismantling lubricant (I prefer PlusGas but other brands are available. Note that WD-40 is not a dismantling lubricant) on the pivots etc, and then go for a coffee and try again afterwards.

• Like 1

Thank you all for good tips.

Finally after applying 5.56 I could push in the button and remove the hook.

Can also install the hook and remove the key without any problem.

But according to the manual the button should now be fully extended and should flex when applying some pressure i.e it should "jump" out when removing pressure.

Seems a little bit odd, feels like it is out of order it does not matter in what position it is in. It does not flex either.

Little bit difficult to explain hope you understand.

I just bought the car and it is now three year and will be inspected here in Sweden.

I now that they check the hook so the question is if it will pass when this safety mechanism is out of order?

BR

I have the same hitch on my car. The button is in the locked position because you can see the green ring around the base of it in the photo. When you fit it, while the release lever is down the button should be held in (It looks like the lever is down in the photo and the button stays out). Once the hitch is in place, the lever should pop up to be in line with the hitch, locking the hitch in place. The button will pop out so the green ring around its base can be seen. The button should not move when you load the hitch. There should also be no movement at all between the hitch and the car.

If the lever can move without pushing the button then the button is broken. If you're lucky you might be able to get this as a spare part. Skoda don't make this towbar, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the company that does mentioned on other towbar threads here. If the lever can't move when you lock the hitch on with the key then it's still fully attached and I wouldn't worry about it falling off. The button is to stop it accidentally being knocked off when people don't lock it with the key.

Whether it passes inspection depends on how thorough the inspection is.

Edited by psycholist
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for all you comments. I will contact the manufacture to see if I can get a spare part.

Has anyone opened this one to see the mechanism inside? Seem i little bit difficult to get inside...

BR

• 5 years later...