Detailing starter kit

Dave3283

Hi All,

Could anyone please recommend some products that I could use to start my detailing kit.

I have always washed my cars my self but my current car is the first one I have had professionally detailed and I want to maintain/build on job the detailer did.

My current cleaning steps used on previous cars is:

Jet wash with karcher power washer

TBM wash using a car shampoo and wax (currently have simonize wash and carnuba wax) and a wash mitt

Rinse with power washer

Towel dry with micro fibre towel

Apply auto gym super resin polish.

The detailer gave me a bottle of auto glym aqua wax to use after rinse but not used yet.

What should I replace or add to kit to give a good maintenance wash and wax?

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1

Sounds like you could start with a good duarable winter wax as a purchase perhaps?

Plenty options out there, depends on budget....

I always recommend Finishkare FK1000P as a great winter wax and superb value for money under £20.

Generally - for detailing products have a look at EZ Car Care, Autobrite Direct (sale on at the moment), Powermaxed, and others.

Check the Discount codes thread at the top of the forum - should save you some cash in the long run. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I would rinse with an open hose, seems to be less water left on paintwork after.

I'd add Extra Gloss Protection after the SRP, let it cure, wipe off and then add a wax, I use Collinite 476.  EGP doesn't need to be used each wash.  I probably only do it twice a year.  Also do not use SRP on top as you'll take the EGP off.  Just a wash and dry will do.

Another thing to consider later on might be clay kit.

Edited by mk4gtiturbo

EZ car Care as mentioned above is a great one to start with. They have the kits already made up in either 250ml, 500ml & 1L bottle kits at great prices.

Again as mentioned above.. Autobrite have a sale on with their DB starter kits.

The Aqua Wax you have been given is a great product for the money. Leaves a great gloss and fairly decent protection.

It's a fantastic drying aid and smells awesome.

Going back to what Neil said above though.. What's the protection all ready on your car?

Cheers

Karl.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

To answer Neil and Karl the sealant was Extream elements sealent, I am unsure of manufacturer unless its Extream.

I have looked at EZ car care but was unsure as to what I was looking for, I will take a look at Autobrite.

Cheers Dave

• Like 1

That's one I've not heard of so couldn't comment buddy.

On the EZ stuff, to help you out a little here's the link to their 500ml starter kit.

https://www.ezcarcare.co.uk/collections/car-care-detailing-kits/products/ez-car-care-500ml-detailing-starter-kit

£62 but you may want to hold off till black Friday as they are talking of a 70% discount on quite a few products.

• Like 1

Sounds like Britemax Extreme elements.

http://www.britemax.co.uk/acatalog/Extreme_Elements.html

In that case, you're absolutely fine with any of the above sitting on top.

Wouldn't use Autoglym SRP on it as you'll just remove the sealant. Just top it with Aquawax and have a play with any of the kits and you'll be away.

• Like 2

Just checked with the detailer, the sealant is actually Auto finesse Tough coat paint sealer, It shows on his invoice as Extream elements sealent as he some times uses different manufacturers its just the generic name he applies to it.

The wax he used is on the invoice is just shown as Carnuba wax for the same reason, but it was Auto finesse essence.

Thanks Neil,

Yeah I have not used SRP on this car as the detailer advised the same and gave me the bottle of Aqua wax instead.

I'm checking the prices of the products that people have advised on this thread. but might hold on till black Friday EZ car care to release their prices.

Cheers Dave

Essentially your process is fine, as the car has already been waxed you won't need the SRP as this will remove it.

Just add a wax to your collection and apply as and when you see the water behaviour drop off.

I'd also look to swap your simoniz shampoo to a pH neutral, free rinsing pure shampoo which contains no gloss enhancers and wax, either of the following are superb -

http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/cleaning/shampoo/gtechniq-g-wash-car-shampoo.html

or

http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/cleaning/shampoo/auto-finesse-lather-shampoo.html

As for waxes, as someone else has mentioned Finish Kare 1000P is hard to beat for £20 or if you are pushed for time Gyeon CanCoat is fantastic.

Happy cleaning.

Chris

Edited by Chris_VRS

Hi Chris

Thanks for the tip on the Shampoo, this is one of the products that prompted me to ask as I only have a small amount left.

I'll probably order the auto finesse shampoo as its cheaper.

I think i will pick up the Finish Kare 1000p as well to keep me going then look at a detailing starter kit in the black Friday or January sales to have a play with some other products.

Thanks All for your input I think I now have a plan.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1