Considering a Yeti - can you get bikes inside easily?

goosander

I'm considering changing my Fabia estate for something new, the Yeti and CRV are the favourite choices.  Does anyone have any experience on how easily you can get one or two bicycles in to a Yeti using the internal skoda bike rack accessory?

I've only had a cursory glance at one and it seems that the boot with seats down is possibly shorter than my Fabia but wider and more usefully shaped.  Can you get a large size road bike in upright with only the front wheel removed, or would you also need to lower the saddle or remove the rear wheel too?

Also, any views on what is better to drive 1.4TSI 4x4 or the 150 diesel 4x4.  I only do about 6000 miles a year, so fuel economy isn't really a major factor and will be leasing so don't care about the potential long term expenses of modern diesels either.

I've regularly transported my road bike in the back of my Yeti but I haven't used the Skoda rack. I made my own, which fits across the rear of the boot space. It has a San Remo quick-release fitting which holds the front fork (bike facing backwards). I strap the left handlebar to the side of the luggage space and strap the back wheel to one of the rear seat clips (seat removed). It's very stable and works very nicely. The Skoda rack looks like it would easily accommodate two road bikes side by side but I think it would be necessary to remove the seats, otherwise the bike(s) would be too long.

I can't really comment on the difference between petrol and diesel (or indeed 4x4) but I'm sure some of our Briskodians will be able to enlighten you. I'm really happy with my 2 1/2 year-old diesel (Greenline). 41k miles and average 56 mpg....

Can't comment on the bike carrying but would caution that if you are buying the internal rack just consider the implications on boot space if you order a spare wheel.

I an one of the relatively rare number of 1.4 150 4x4 TSI owners (because it's not been available long and only in L&K trim). I wasn't able to test drive one (but did have a go in a DSG Superb with the same engine before ordering) so it was a leap of faith to some extent. I came from a 110 2x4 TDI. The 1.4 is a cracking engine, far quieter than the diesel. Average MPG is unsurprisingly 10 MPG down on the TDI but that's only to be expected and some of the difference is clearly being sucked up by the haldex. At 6k miles a year this probably won't bother you. Once the turbo is spooled up, the engine has plenty of torque and all but cancels out the advantages of a diesel (certainly as torquay as the 110 TDI). Clearly a 150 TDI will have even more torque, but at the expense of noise and the need for adblue. Also of course 'like for like' a TDI will cost a lot more but you do get the opportunity to drop down a trim level to get prices more equal or opt for a DSG box.

The only time the TSI is a bit sluggish is off the line if you don't give it enough revs, which coming from a diesel I still fail to do from time to time. It drives far 'better' and is more agile than the 110 - partly due to the 4x4, but it's also better balanced with the lighter engine. Most of the L&K 'kit' is very welcome, particularly the nav, tech and panoramic roof. The brown leather is a bit of an acquired taste though (the park assist is a waste of space though) - the only things we found the need to extra for were metallic paint and mud flaps - and we like our 'toys'.

I have a Yeti 4x4 without the spare wheel.

I carry a Mtb and a road bike at the same time in the back. Both have rear pannier racks. Fold down rear seats, remove front (bike!) wheels. Rear of bikes go in first. Could possibly manage a third bike too.

Alternatively on long trips with a lot of luggage, the road bike (its actually a tourer, no mudguards) just fits in sideways behind the front seats if I take off the front wheel and handlebars. Rear seats are in normal upright position to take extra luggage.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help - I see what you mean about the spare wheel.  I took my bike to the both the Skoda and Honda dealers today and somewhat to my surprise found the Yeti is much better for bikes, a surprise given that it is the smaller vehicle.  The Yeti I tried was a bit awkward because it had a spare wheel, but it would have been fine without, I like the ease with which you can remove the rear seats.

Think the CRV is out since the Yeti is smaller, more practical, cheaper to lease, faster and probably better to drive - all in all can't think of much against it other than its not the prettiest of cars (but an improvement on my Fabia at least)...

Back to the dealer again today and drove a 1.2TSI, liked the Yeti but wanted a bit more go so also tried the 150 diesel in an Octavia which was a bit more like it - pulled very well in 4th and quite refined but felt dead in top gear compared to the remapped 1.9 PD in my Fabia.  Ended up going for a 1.4TSI L&K - had the usual dilema over colour - petrol blue tempting and reckon magnetic brown would look fantastic but suspect it is almost as bad as black to keep clean, so went up with Jungle Green...

Never had a car with all the toys before, so should make a nice change :-)

• Like 4