Ground point in the fuse box?

Gumble

Hey guys,

I am trying to hard wire a couple of devices into my car. I have got a couple of add-a-fuses to do this, but I'm not sure if any of the screws can be used as grounding points? I can't see any clear metal behind them, just looks like plastic. In my Superb there were bare metal points to ground to.

:)

Remove the lower dash trim. I think you need to remove the headlight switch then there are some torx screws to undo.

Also, looks like your wires are down the side of the door seal - a neater way might be to run them down the inside of the A-pillar trim (it's easy to remove). You can tape the ends of the wires you're running to something more rigid but slightly flexible (I used a bit of bicycle cable outer) to guide them down behind the dash and to the back of the fuse panel.

• Like 1

Remove the lower dash trim. I think you need to remove the headlight switch then there are some torx screws to undo.

Also, looks like your wires are down the side of the door seal - a neater way might be to run them down the inside of the A-pillar trim (it's easy to remove). You can tape the ends of the wires you're running to something more rigid but slightly flexible (I used a bit of bicycle cable outer) to guide them down behind the dash and to the back of the fuse panel.

No it's behind the trim

Thank you very much!

It's essentially the same as the Mk2 Octavia's in regard to where everything is. As said above it's just not as easily exposed when simply removing the fuse box cover on the Mk1. Lower dash does indeed need to come off. The fuse box itself is mounted to the lower dash via the screws you can see and has inbuilt retaining clips which you should see as part of it's frame also. These need to be removed if you want to fully lower or remove the lower dash to get access, otherwise it will need to be held or supported with something while you get at one of the nice metal bolts behind it. There are torx screws for it everywhere I think up by the pedals too on a long extended piece also which could be easily broken. Light switch pops out and unplugs and hides another screw behind there too I think. The Mk1 is really well bolted together as I am sure you will find. 

Mk2 guide if it's of any use http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/265343-dash-cam-12v-multi-adaptor-hidden-install-driver-storage-compartment

My Mk1 I fed the wires back in as you can see but snapped a piece of the fuse box surround off to allow free access as it would be too tight otherwise with it's fitment (could do a much neater job than simply snapping it tbh). One feeds a 12V multi adaptor by lower dash shelf by OBDII port, which has a USB cable then running back off it through the same way behind fuse box and goes up behind the trim and behind A pillar trim across top of windscreen etc to camera. The other goes to some 12V sockets I put in the boot which goes back in and down under the trim in footwell and under sill trims etc to rear.

30951597486_f4235a98b1_k.jpg

30870442092_9fe6601caf_k.jpg

Had a swipe or 500 down my phone and found this, uploaded only for youtube to tell me I already uploaded it back at the time I repeated this install having removed it all in the past and needed to reinstate BAHHHHHH. It shows what you will find behind there being pretty much what you should find. I used the large bolt top tight. 

Edited by FUBAR