Sort of urgent help

I've just fitted the dtuk box , and as I was fitting the torx I dropped a screwdriver down the engine bay. I can't see it but I'm sure it hit the bottom, yet I can't find it.

I'm scared to drive the car as urgently need to go out. If it hit the bottom tray would it be ok to drive?

I wouldn't risk driving it any distance until the torx-driver has been located, although it should be okay to move a few feet onto ramps. The tray is easy to remove, but you need to safely lift and secure atleast one side of the car before clamberring under it.

I suggest shining a bright torch down the engine bay to try to locate it. If you cannot see it then it has probably been caught by the tray. Just make sure it is nowhere near the cambelt before starting the engine.

Edited by Orville

Near zero risk in my opinion.

+1 

Maybe give the undertray a couple of clumps with your hand to see if you can hear it bouncing about?

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

Could also drop out whilst driving and hit someone or their car, so it would be best to get it out.

The undertray is only about 6 screws, just drop it.

jack up one side of the car at the front then whack the undertray a few times - you hopefully will hear it bouncing and this should move it towards the dependent side front where you can see it and remove it. don't ask me how i know this......

edit - it was a much smaller torx bit i dropped, not the whole screwdriver though

Edited by encephalopathy