Brake fluid change

Helston Hauler

What exactly does a dealer mechanic do,does he just removes a bit from each caliper bleed valve and tops up the reservoir, or does he completely empty the whole system and refills and bleeds the system. What about the ABS system, does that get emptied and refilled.

I wouldn't expect a garage to completely drain the brake system.

Standard practise is to keep taking fluid out of the calipers until the new stuff comes through, obviously keeping the brake fluid reservoir topped up with new fluid. This can be done by either colour of the fluid or by flushing an amount as specified by the manufacturer through.

This will flush some of the fluid in the ABS pump but probably not all of it. If you really want to be sure, the pump can be cycled with VCDS and then more fluid flushed through.

I think a dealer would normally do the full flush. I'd only really expect the ABS pump to be cycled when it's been replaced or there has been air in the system.

Only way to be sure is to ask your dealer...

Are you having a problem?

If charged for a Brake Fluid Change the Brake Fluid should be changed, if you are paying for that anything less is fraud.

You can buy a kit and check your Brake Fluid for H20 content, then maybe not change the fluid first at 3 years then every 2.

Even put in better brake fluid than the OEM / Main Dealer supplied Brake Fluid.