Octavia Scout vs. Deer

Sorry for your damage, even more sorry that you didn't have any tasty venison to show for it; may I suggest going to a butcher and getting a nice saddle of venison, if you like meat and have never eaten Bambi you are missing out. 

I know unfortunately the annoyance of hitting animals and the damage and mess they cause.  In 13 years of driving I have claimed 2 cats (jumping out from under cars), 1 hare (50mph ish on a country road, no intention of swerving), 1 pigeon (drove over him and decided midway under the car would be a great time to fly.  If he had waited 2-3 seconds he would have been fine), 1 dog (decided to run up a dual carriage way and under my passenger wheel at 60mph) and one local imbecile (human) pulling out of a blind bend into oncoming traffic (me) in the dark with no lights on a Dumb and Dumber hog, lost my no claims and had to pay my excess because of that uninsured idiot too, all in just shy of £600.

Edited by BNT1985
  • Like 2

A few years back my wife took out a brand new mondeo alone for a test drive and ran through a flock of pigeons that took off from the verge into her path.

Apparently it was briefly and frighteningly spectacular and although it did not cause any damage the look on the salesman's face as he viewed the resulting decorative carnage was reflected by his mouthed but professionally silent WTF

I hit a what I thought was a badger at some speed > 30mph  (£1500 damage). I reported that to the Police as although I thought it was a badger I couldn't be sure as the damn thing ran off. They must be sturdy creatures.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 21/11/2016 at 08:54, silver1011 said:

Absolute madness Skoda!

The front grill is now part of the whole front bumper, it cannot be ordered from Skoda as a separate item.

So if you hit a pheasant or crack a single fin on the grill you need a £358 bumper plus painting and labour, i.e. close to £900!

Luckily this daft decision was relatively recent so there is stock of the separate grill out there, I've managed to bag one and will have it fitted by a local backstreet body shop.

Be warned guys.

Do you know when this changed, I have an early Mk 3 (63 plate) hit a pheasant last night and like others, skoda are only offering a full bumper replacement which quite frankly is stupid!

It might not be as recent as I was told then? My Scout was a 2016 (16).

There are separate grills out there on eBay etc. and good bodyshops can release and re-plastic weld them on for you.

On 01/12/2016 at 17:57, MoggyTech said:

Friend of mine many moons ago hit a stray cow in his Montego. Car written off and he had to pay the farmer for the loss of the cow! I mean, it's not like he drove into the field, the cow was in the middle of the road in thick fog.

I would have had beef with that farmer, I think he milked the whole situation. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1