Goodbye to Frosty (the Octavia) :(.....

Oh well, I knew is was coming :(

Frosty hit the end of her PCP, and my fears were confirmed - The settlement figure was £10,768, and every valuation was 10.2 > 11K.

With the order books closed, I was left to look around at what was available at dealerships, and was about to pull the trigger on a Race Blue vRS hatch with DSG, Bluetooth+, Sunroof, leather, and black pack+ (so 19"s) at Skoda Lincoln (can highly recommend Paul - top bloke) at a decent price for the kit.

That was until this weekend..... SWMBO has just got a company car, so we were at Sheffield Audi to look at options for her. Long story short, I put an order down on a new stock A4 Avant S-Line S-Tronic TDi Ultra 190 (Longest car name in history  :D  :D  ) in Daytona Grey..... for only a few quid more than the vRS would have cost per month.

I can thoroughly recommend Michael there. Full of beans, straight talking and knows his Audis (A brochure didnt come out once). They didnt match the lowest quote from a quick CarWow, but they got within 1.5% of it.

I'll still hang around :) And I'll miss frosty who didnt put a foot wrong.... Its just the timing....

Edited by sniperpenguin

Thanks. It would have been nice to stay with the brand but the offer was too good to pass up.

I've always been a strong believer that timing is everything when it comes to buying a car. Targets, model releases, manufacturer deals etc all play a part in what you can get.

For example, I could have got into the A6 for only about 40-50 a month more (6K deposit contribution :o plus discounting) plus I just dont need a car that big.

I don't think anyone would blame you for taking up a deal like that, just seems extraordinary to me that the difference between the two options is so small seeing as how marketing here (Australia) suggests there is a great difference in the quality (and price) of the two.

Have to say at the end of my pcp I doubt I'll go for another Octavia. For sure not the new face-lift version!

But the Golf mk8 is just around the corner (2018) so I'm guessing the mk4 might be around that time too.

Just hope it's better looking than the said face-lift.

Audi A4's are rather nice.

I don't think the MK3 Octy is good value for money any more.

It only becomes it with the zero percent interest lease options.

Because so much equipment is optional if you want luxury an A4 Avant is cheaper.

I think the cost cutting has gone too far now also.

I mean nobody misses damped grab handles, but the wide angle drivers wing mirror (A safety feature) isn't even an option.

The costs are high.

When looking at the cars if you applied the same interest rate to the cars the following were cheaper than the skoda

- A4 (Sport)

- Jag XE (Higher trim level)

- Multiple BMW cars

- Plenty of Merc cars

There is no way a skoda should be up at that price level, especially with so many cut corners in spec.

I mean come on, even an astra has lighting around the vanity mirror for the passenger :o

• Like 1

Because so much equipment is optional if you want luxury an A4 Avant is cheaper.

I find this interesting. I have seen that most of the stuff that is included in the Swedish "Style" trim is extra options in the UK.

I have a lot of options and packages in my new Octavia, and with the 1,4 TSI M6 (that is also avaliable for the A4) it would be about £ 24.000

If I spec an A4 with the same engine and equipment it lands at about £ 41.500.

The Audi has full LED lights (included in Proline), foldable tow bar and 3-zone climate control, which you can't get in the Octavia. The Skoda on the other hand has winter tyres and half leather included in that price.

Edited by Riolux

Wow, here in Australia I find it difficult to imagine SkIda vaguely in the same ball park as an A4 Sport or any of the other cars you've listed. Here an absolutely maxed out RS is still $20,000 cheaper than an A4 Sport.

I think the challenge in the UK is that the depreciation is a lot higher that perhaps in other countries.

There is an 8K (roughly) OTR cost between the Octavia I looked at against the Audi.

Deposit contributions

Octavia - 1K

A4 Avant - 3.5K

PCP APR

Octavia = 0%

A4 Avant = 3.9%

**GMFV**

Octavia = 8.5K

A4 Avant = 14K

Yes, there is an extra 6mths on the PCP for the Audi which fudges the figures, but the discount on the Audi pretty much wiped that out, The difference in GMFV was the killer.