Disappointing wading depth

Ah I see my mistake apologies. I missed the second post explaining. I assumed the picture on page 316 of the manual showed the gap between the ground and the sill whereas you are pointing out that this details the clearance which may well be a miscellaneous part hanging down lower than the sill. Typically misleading Skoda pic as it looks like the sill to me. now I understand why so many capitals and !, people clearly getting frustrated with me.

I shall see if I can measure the height to the sill when one lands at a dealer next year maybe I'll be lucky and find the sill height is 30cm+

Edited by Bugginbob
  • Like 1

Can anyone measure the height to the reference point at the bottom of the sill to get a definitive safe wading answer?

Are there any Kodiaq's around to do so?

Scrap this the OP has just asked the same.

Edited by Defenderben

Bugginbob,

maybe get a measure that is in mm & cm or in inches and stick using that, because going between metric and imperial just gets confusing.

post #1 you were maybe joking about the 1 Series BMW being 4" off the ground. (10 cm)

The safe wading level is only ever going to be SUV type and that might be an ickle higher than a Superb but then Skoda were never really building a serious Offroader.

Many can not get up UK Farm Tracks without damaging or at least scraping mechanicals.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Forrester would be the next tool in my armoury if I had to choose.

If just looking for a really cheap wading vehicle to get out the village the Daihatsu Terrios has a very good wading depth of 700mm!

I have the Forester and yes the manual states 500mm as the wading depth, but I would be rather wary of doing so as they put the turbo at the bottom front of the engine and is cooled through vents in the (rather hefty) skid plate. I don't imagine its a complete oversight, but it puzzles me.

Occasionally get flooded where I live, not massively but about a foot around every entry into my village. My current superb gets through ok most of the time but sometimes I don't want to risk it. No problem I thought, I'll get a kodiaq next time round. Well read the manual via the link on here this morning and the kodiaqs only rated to a wading depth of 18cm! That's less than my wife's 1 series coupe which is about 4 inches off the ground.

Ok I don't expect the kodiaq to compete against a disco in this regard but 18cm?! Off to read my superbs manual as I think it has a better wading depth as well.

Kodiaq is just a sedan with SUV body shape, not worth it over a Superb.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/415725-disappointing-ground-clearance/

Get a proper off road closer to 25+ cm.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I've been away from the site for quite a while, but have recently replaced my (2011) Octavia SE 1.6Tdi estate (which I've owned since March 2012) with a Kodiaq 4x4, & this question is rather intriguing

I've had a few 90s & a couple of 110s before, so are familiar with their wading capabilities (even of a standard Td5)

It's probably more to the point that the quoted depth is an 'arse-coverer', so no-one tries to claim for water damage/engine hydraulicing/etc....

@Richard A Thackeray

Who would anyone be claiming off of if they take their vehicle wading and it all goes wrong?

You buy a Softroader and you get a Softroader. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/478561-ooooops

An Enyaq will be pretty good for wading as long as H2o is not coming in the cabin.

Ev's are generally good but you must remember when you go through floods in one that a driver behind might see you do it and think they can follow in their ICE vehicle.  They might find rather soon that they can not.

Edited by e-Roottoot

31 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Richard A Thackeray

Who would anyone be claiming off of if they take their vehicle wading and it all goes wrong?

You buy a Softroader and you get a Softroader. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/478561-ooooops

An Enyaq will be pretty good for wading as long as H2o is not coming in the cabin.

Ev's are generally good but you must remember when you go through floods in one that a driver behind might see you do it and think they can follow in their ICE vehicle.  They might find rather soon that they can not.

I'm not saying I want to, & I certainly know which roads around here flood, & invariably it's the same ones!
The fences/railings act as depth-gauges

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Richard A Thackeray It was you that posted the last line of the post i replied to and asked the question about. 

So where is the 'arse covering' other than the passengers arse getting wet maybe?

I mean 'arse-covering' from Skoda, by not stating a deeper depth, & drivers trying to claim damages for water-ingression/mechanical damage, due to going too deep

• Thanks 1

There is no way there is any manufacturers warranty that covers such things.  So no need to cover their arses.

VW Group do not even make clear about Haldex Servicing and do not include screen cleaning or filter replacing in the Manufacturers Recommendations.

Do not Include Haldex Servicing in Service Plans and give no recommendations on Diff Servicing.

Even Land Rover (90,110,130, 'Defenders') needed Gearbox Plugs and Axle Breathers if doing wading.  No arse covering there as many never had them or even cared.

They do try to arse cover oil use, with the 'might use as much as 0.5 litres oil in 1,000km, depending on conditions of use.'

Said for every ICE vehicle 3,4,5,6 or 8 cylinder from 44kW up petrol or diesel for decades now.

My 110 4.6 V8 Auto with its previous owner and builder before i got it an properly waterproofed it.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 17.22.47.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 17.23.07.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot