Hella LED Light Bar 350 installed behind Yeti bumber

kollikoukku

Hella is a good and hidden choice to Yeti.

I cant post pics, so there are links.

My plan is to find an extra/auxilary driving light which does not spoil "the look of yeti"

So... there are many many chinese LED lights for sale.

My choise is this Hella:

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/light-bars/led-light-bar-350/

My version is reference 30, it means "Pencil Beam" light pattern:

http://www.myhellalights.com/files/6914/5451/5590/lightbar350-iso.jpg

There are also Light Bar 470 available, which is wider and more powerful.

Installation pix:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AudTODk8pT4oj6sL5CpMjLN122_D7g

My english is not so good... but i will try ;)

Ok, at first You need to remove carefully the lower black part of Yetis front bumper.
Remove all screws and other connectors below the bumper.

After that you can found the steel bumber below the plastic cover.

Google will help.

You need to drill/cut the light bar's "mounting shoes" for more room, because the light bar will not be center of the bumber grill.

Try it many times and find the correct place and mark it under the steel bumber.
Drill holes to steel and spray some "anti rust oil"  to holes.

Fix the light bar under the steel bumper, then find a way for power cable from the light bar to behind front left driving light.

Fix the bumper cover back in its place in reverse order.

You will need a relay and diode.
Diode will be between the relay and front light (bi xenon shutter) wire Yellow/gray
So the power is not go to wrong way and broke electrics of car.

There is installation manual for wires in the Light Bar box.
http://www.myhellalights.com/files/8614/5452/7232/Light_Bar_350_LED_Driving_Pencil_Lamp.pdf

Enjoy more light and driving safety :)

There are many laws in many countries...

Offroad use only!

Questions are welcome.

Whilst this is an excellent product and these instructions are also good, can I point out that in the UK an installation like this would be illegal, as stated by the OP.

For a Driving Light the unit is too low and the light is too far from the edges of the car, plus there is only one of them, and they have to be fitted in pairs.

• Like 1

Be great to get some outdoor beam shots with and without the extra driving light!

For a Driving Light the unit is too low and the light is too far from the edges of the car, plus there is only one of them, and they have to be fitted in pairs.

My understanding from ECE R48 is that there are no specific height or width requirements for driving lights/high beams. It does say that either 2 or 4 should be fitted on this class of vehicle.

Looking back at the 1989 regs, it states 'any number' of optional main beams may be fitted, with no requirements for height, width or being in pairs.

I think it would be a road legal installation in the UK based on the 1989 regs.

Whilst this is an excellent product and these instructions are also good, can I point out that in the UK an installation like this would be illegal, as stated by the OP.

I know, it is illegal also in Finland, and they shoud be fitted in pairs.

But the light beam is sharp, it will produce light far away from car.

So it is in good place :)

LED lights tested by finnish car magazine at 2015:

http://tonga-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/28/31/28d312eee09666e160bfa37909c817f4164bfeac-98cf10e7.pdf

With reference 30, hella produce light almoust 250m away.

Sure there are better lights than my hella, but it sits well to yeti.

It got grade number 8.3/10

Many cheap lights (for examble X-VISION Race R4) produce light only 175meters with grade number 6.9/10

Also jussinmaki.net tested led lights:

The test lab and comparision http://www.jussinmaki.net/blogi/lisavalovertailu-2016-2017/#

only finnish :/

Be great to get some outdoor beam shots with and without the extra driving light!

I still don't have a button inside for switch it off... but I will fix it at christmas holiday...

what would be the rules for somerthing like this behind the bottom grill?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-20-Inch-126W-CREE-LED-Spot-Flood-Combo-Driving-Work-Light-Bar-ATV-UTE-Boat-/252049740405?hash=item3aaf55d275:g:PPgAAOSwfC9XPTBm

any requirements there or it the the same as the above?

That is chinese, cheap flood light... :thumbdown:

Good light costs a lot...

that a fair point just wandered what the difference between that and the hella would be

PLus i got a face lift yeti so i dont know if they would look good as the grill slats go | | | | | in the bumper

My understanding from ECE R48 is that there are no specific height or width requirements for driving lights/high beams. It does say that either 2 or 4 should be fitted on this class of vehicle.

Looking back at the 1989 regs, it states 'any number' of optional main beams may be fitted, with no requirements for height, width or being in pairs.

I think it would be a road legal installation in the UK based on the 1989 regs.

Interesting, as I have just looked at the RVL Regs, Sch5, and the minimum height is not longer stated for main beam operated lights, which these are. However it does say they have to be fitted in pairs and there has to be a tell-tale fitted.

Wonder when that changed?

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes OFF - ON -pics..... it was a very difficult to catch the difference with camera 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AudTODk8pT4oj895aeHrYZzxV4OVUQ

Almost all images are taken with (50mm) zoom

Images between 00224 - 00229 are shot at the end of straight road which is 500 meters long

Images 00230 and 00231 are taken (16mm, without zoom) apppox 100 meters from the end of the road.

Interesting, as I have just looked at the RVL Regs, Sch5, and the minimum height is not longer stated for main beam operated lights, which these are. However it does say they have to be fitted in pairs and there has to be a tell-tale fitted.

Wonder when that changed?

I know from my rallying days that they used to have to be in-line with the headlights, I assume the law changed around the time lamp pods started to appear? (or they were simply ‘off road use’ only)

Trucks have had additional lights mounted on the roof for several years now (factory fit as well as additional ones as in the photo), considering their MOT is much more stringent than on cars I too assumed that the law had changed.

IMG_2292_zpskaageyxv.jpg

There are loads of LED light bars appearing on the market that are truly amazing with their light output, I was kind of hoping this was what the OP had fitted, but TBH his is not overly impressive IMO.... sorry.  :blush: 

(I personally think the OE Bi-xenons are much brighter)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know the OP was mounting the lights behind the bumper/grille, but I would urge folk to be very careful when mounting any auxiliary lights on the front of the car, particularly at bumper height.

It is absolutely essential that mounting brackets, bolts etc and the lamps themselves do not have prominent or sharp edges that may injure a pedestrian in the event of an accident. Such lamps can be vulnerable to "car park" damage if mounted in front of the bumper, and your car could fail its MOT &/or upset your insurance company if they had the potential to cause injury.

Yes, I know they are becoming common on rally cars, but they should (though they are not always) be mounted in such a way that brackets etc are padded or otherwise protected.

I think you will also find that to comply with conditions & use regs in the UK (and presumably elsewhere in the EU), "long range" auxiliary lights must also extinguish automatically when headlights are dipped.

Edited by speedsport
  • Like 1

"long range" auxiliary lights must also extinguish automatically when headlights are dipped.

That is why there is a relay for turn it on/off

• 2 years later...