SE Technology 150 or SE L Executive Greenline?

I'm just getting around to ordering my new company car (current drive a focus 1.6 tdci).

The mk3 superb has really caught my eye and I would love a sportline but unfortunately my grade doesn't stretch that far.

I have 2 options really,

1: Se technology 2l tdi 150

2: SE L executive greenline

I really like the spec of the SE L exec, however I'm concerned that the 1.6 tdi is going to be grossly underpowered for the superb....also the wheels look naff on every photo I've seen.

I'll be doing around 35k per year and spend 80% of my working week behind the wheel.

What're your thoughts? Also if anyone has a photo of an SE L exec greenline hatchback in white I'd love to see it.

I'm just getting around to ordering my new company car (current drive a focus 1.6 tdci).

The mk3 superb has really caught my eye and I would love a sportline but unfortunately my grade doesn't stretch that far.

I have 2 options really,

1: Se technology 2l tdi 150

2: SE L executive greenline

I really like the spec of the SE L exec, however I'm concerned that the 1.6 tdi is going to be grossly underpowered for the superb....also the wheels look naff on every photo I've seen.

I'll be doing around 35k per year and spend 80% of my working week behind the wheel.

What're your thoughts? Also if anyone has a photo of an SE L exec greenline hatchback in white I'd love to see it.

First off, welcome to the forum..

I was in the same position when ordering my car, (well i can order anything but just have to pay more PUC.) but as i wont ever own the car i didnt want to add any extra funds to it for this car.

I ordered a SE Business (now named SE Tech) with the 2.0 TDI engine.  I looked at the SEL greenline on paper, but decided the 120ps (118BHP)  TDI would be too much underpowered coming from a 6 cylinder 5 series, Also, I ordered a factory tow bar as i have access to a caravan and load the car up to the max for camping trips, bike racks etc..

First off, the noticeable differences between the SE Tech and SEL are the LED DRL's and Xenon's and sat nav system, however now the SE Tech gets a 8 inch screen there's not much in it if you just load your music to SD card rather than the inbuilt HDD on the SEL.

The SEL lacks front parking sensors where as the SE Tech has them as standard,

As both cars are on 17 inch wheels, you can go for the Drakon alloy wheels on the greenline which have a black inlay of just the silver zeus, stratos, Helios with the SE Tech..

As your going to be doing 35k a year, my first suggestion would be go for the SEL with Xenons for the night driving, but then the other side of the coin is 35k a year with 30bhp less....... (fact is though motorway mileage crunching the extra power may not be a big concern...)  --

Just throw into the mix... how about a SE Tech with the 2.0 TDI with DSG ? if you are doing so much mileage ?

Here's a few pics of my SE Business..

20160321_113119_zpstweqqd1y.jpg

20160321_113059_zpskwdjhrro.jpg

More pics here - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/367311-the-superb-iii-picture-thread/page-23#entry4567621

This is a good thread - owners register.... shows what forum members have.. - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/369581-superb-mkiii-owners-register/  Could be worth PM'ing a few of the 1.6 tdi owners for their thoughts..

I think if i was in your position... i would also do a quote of a SE Tech with Xenons and compare the price to the SE-L 1.6TDI.

The SE Tech comes with a good spec level and has everything you "need" as a car, just depends how much you "need" the other stuff too. 

I have a 1.6 estate se business. New in July, now on 16,000 miles- 1.6 is fine on town or motorway driving, but needs some serious revs for any overtaking on country roads. I live I. West wales, so by and large, I'm stuck on a daily basis behind a tractor/lorry/bus, wishing I had the 2.0.

Love every other aspect of the car mind, and don't notice it on motorway driving.

Thanks chaps, Penuwichan - that was my biggest concern as my focus is the same & its only half the car that the superb is.

Xenon headlamps are a must really so fingers crossed the option on the SE technology won't push me over my grade.

While looking to replace my 2012 1.6 Octavia mk2, with which I have been very happy, I test drove a 2016 1.6 Octavia and found it lacking in power compared to my current car (although in theory it is the same PS). The same 1.6 engine is in the Superb so I assume that it is also underpowered (the salesman confirmed this when I was considering it - but he would do wouldn't he). Having test driven (and now ordered) a 2.0 150 Superb I felt it performed similarly to my current 1.6 Octavia.

Thanks chaps, Penuwichan - that was my biggest concern as my focus is the same & its only half the car that the superb is.

Xenon headlamps are a must really so fingers crossed the option on the SE technology won't push me over my grade.

Have you considered going with the standard SE Tech and fitting updated bulbs? Quite a few people have made comments about the xenon's not being particularly good on the Superb (but possibly just down to poor alignment) so if it is light output rather than aesthetics that's the main concern then upgrading the bulbs could be a cost effective option.

The way I see it is for 6 months or so of the year it isn't dark until gone 6:30pm at the earliest, by which time on the average day the car is already parked up in the drive. Updated bulbs do make a difference (obviously not as much as going to xenon / led) so would help a lot with tge lighting whilst still enabling you to avoid the lesser engine which most reviews I've read have explicitly mentioned is best avoided.

In short, I think the flexibility of the 150tdi would be missed more in day to day driving over the year than the benefit gained from the xenons. Clearly having both would be great if doable. Hope this helps a bit!

I have an SE technology as from 1st sept.

Personally, I find the lights fine... did a 4am set off from Sussex coast to York the other weekend alone and had no issues at all with lights even in the heavy fog.

On the SE tech you get front sensors that you don't get on the SEL... worth considering as we went from a 2.2l diesel Civic to the superb so they certainly help when parking the bohemoth.

Ours is a 150 2.0 diesel, it's adequate - anything less would not really do. Besides in the real world you will probably get better mpg in the 2.0 as you will have less need to wring its neck.

For me the toss up on the SE tech was price vs kit in the car, it was a lot of car for the cost of the lease. The SEL would have been a fair chunk more for me in 2.0 guise for a bunch of less useful extras over what comes in the SE tech.

The SE Technology is already heavily discounted on the list price - £3k of extras for buttons over the SE - so no dealer discounts on this model. There should be some flexibility on extras fitted to it based on what I just ordered.

I am running a Volvo V40 with the small engine and regret the choice of technology over engine on that car.